1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 tacoma TRD sport in snow?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Tacokid9, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    vermintrex

vermintrex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT Shorty
    BFG A/T KO 265/70/17, '11 FJ wheels, 5100's all four corners, Eibach springs, 1/4" Taco lean spacer, Leer 100XR, WeatherTech liners, trimmed mud flaps and I farted in it.
    Don't tell anyone else...too many goddamn easterners moving here as it is!

BAH !! :mad:

:D

2. Dec 16, 2010 at 7:59 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I can say from personal experience that VSC + TRAC in 4Hi in snow is a very noticeable improvement over open-diff 4x4, and feels much more sure footed/more controlled. I like it - it's the other drivers that worry the shit out of me in those conditions, and these items help me avoid them.

Disable to play in parking lot. Turn back on to get home safely.

3. Dec 16, 2010 at 8:21 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  4. Dec 22, 2010 at 8:43 PM
    Rodallg

Rodallg Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Just coming back from the snow in the northwest and I have a question about the ALSD on my 2WD. When the wheels start spinning and the light flashes only and then if it goes sideways and starts beeping, what is the difference between just the flash and the beeping?
    It handled well in the snow but I could of used weight in the bed. I did have to chain up for safety of the hills and turns on the highway. The new Yokohama Geolanders H-T/S did well but I wish I would of put weight in the back.

5. Dec 22, 2010 at 9:21 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Shoveling snow in the bed would have helped...

? "ALSD" is AUTO LSD is when you push the button briefly (TRAC OFF MODE). It is limited slip without any engine regulation (ie. stronger limited slip). It also shuts OFF the VSC (beeping, flasshing) up to 30 MPH.

Because you saw the blinking skid truck and heard the beeping, you were probably in the standard 2WD mode, or 'TRAC'... which is limited slip WITH engine output regulation along with the VSC (Vehicle Stability Control).

The flashing skid light is telling you the system is working at diverting torque to the traction tire. The beep, beep, beep is the VSC working at straightening out your truck from a potential spin and warning that you should slow down with those conditions.

The good news is it worked... you were able to drive out and didn't get into an accident. Next time you need some extra traction to get moving in the snow... put some weight in the bed AND push the VSC OFF button briefly for AUTO LSD (TRAC OFF MODE).

IF you needed (or wanted) to spin your tires more, you can push and HOLD IN the VSC OFF button WHILE STOPPED to turn off the TRAC and VSC (open differential).

Merry Christmas and Happy Festivus!

Products Discussed in

To Top