1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Its SNOWING...how to use 4x4 right (NEWBIE)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tacomabiker, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    It's all been said but I will just summarize to one post as best I can. I think you have the same disposition as me, and are pretty much where I was 2 years ago.

I'm not getting into VSC, ATRAC, LSD, or Hill Assist. I don't have it, I don't think you do, someone else can write about it.

4WD - HI
    Use for highway speeds
    Can be engaged while moving up to 55mph, can be used at all speeds
    Should never be used on high-traction surfaces like dry (or even somewhat wet) pavement
    can make steering tougher. Don't force it, shift to 2WD if safe
    you still have the ability to shift gears

4WD - LO
    Need to be not moving, in neutral to switch it on/off. You might need to rock forward/back a few feet to engage, or turn steering back and forth
    this mode changes your gearing to lower gears. Drive the first few feet slow for the gearing to take effect
    only for offroad, low speed conditions
    switch it on BEFORE you get in trouble
    you still have the ability to shift gears, but remember the gear ratios are much different. 4L - 1st is for creeping
    can be difficult to turn, avoid sharp turns if possible

LOCKER
    Can only be engaged with 4WD LO on (unless you modded or have PreRunner)
    Should only be engaged under 5mph, but has no speed limit after engaging (4WD LO's gearing will limit you)
    this makes the rear wheels spin at equal speeds (changes from open differential to locked differential)
    only used when 4WD LO does not work. Mostly used as an emergency tool that you put back when done.
    most difficult for turning
    you can still use all gears

HILL DESCENT
    When descending a steep hill, start the hill from a dead stop.
    The hill will provide all the 'go' you need. You can always go faster, but can't always go slower - ask me what overheated brakes smell like
    Use lowest gear and shift up as necessary.
    If the surface is dry, feather brakes to prevent brakes overheating.
    If very slick, use 4WD, don't use brakes, use the low gears. If you slip, turn in the direction you want and give mild gas for correction. Brakes will increase potential for putting you in a slide and losing control
    4HI will only help for steering
    4LO will help for lower gearing. Again, 4L - 1st is a beautiful thing.

GENERAL MISC. TIPS
    Don't loop your thumbs into the steering wheel. When offroading over obstacles the steering wheel could violently turn and break your thumbs
    Don't go offroading alone. Recovery can suck or leave you dead without help.
    Shovels are wonderful
    Airing down tires can help with grip
    Either air down or use chains - not both. Chains are only designed for a properly inflated tire (offroad chains might be an exception, I don't know)

Toyota made a nice little guide

2. Dec 17, 2010 at 3:41 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    I don't have anything to add to the already great advice that has been offered other than......Good for you for being sensible enough to ask and good for the folks here to take the time to help out,

When I was 20 I bought my then dream vehicle.......A second hand Jeep CJ7 Renegade. It was not only the first 4X4 I ever owned but the first 4X4 I ever drove. Like a typical Punk, the first time it snowed I barrelled into a parking lot and promptly while franticly whipping the wheeel back and forth with the brakes locked, piled into the side of a Ford Tempo. My buddy who was with me said...."Nice going Mr. Big Shot 4 Wheel Drive Man!" :eek:

Take your time, be careful and enjoy the new truck. :)

3. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:37 PM
    tacomabiker

tacomabiker [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    05 Toyota Tacoma V6 4x4 Offroad
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    What do you suggest to put back there? Sand bags?

4. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    ouyin2000

ouyin2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    Yup :) 3 or 4 should do. I carry 6 as well as a canopy, but that might be too much.

The best thing about the sand bags, is if you get REALLY stuck, you can dump one or two under your tires for better traction.

5. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:42 PM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    This may be a stupid question...

While in 4hi, can you put it into reverse, and go reverse in 4hi?

Or should you stop the truck, put it out of 4hi to 2wd, and then to 4hi when you've switched it to reverse?

Same with 4low?

6. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    So to clarify, you can only engage the locker with 4wd LO on? Say if you push the button while driving in 2wd...nothing happens?

Luckily, I've only been the one driving my truck but I've wondered if I should put a sign there saying don't touch the "RED" (locker) button.

I've never engaged the locker.

7. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Leer 100XL Canopy, OEM Side steps, TRD Oil Cap, TRD License Plate Cover, WeatherTech Digital Fit Liners, Elite O/R Hitch Shackle, Katzkin Leather Interior, LED Interior Lighting, Foglight Anytime mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Grom Audio Aux adapter, Redline Goods leather shift boot console cover and door handle pulls, Sockmonkey bedside decals, Dynolock electric tailgate lock
    My street is hardly ever plowed (especially these last couple of days with 30+ cm of snow) So I'm always in 4WD when I turn onto my street. And I always reverse into my driveway, so Yes, you can reverse just the same in 4WD.

8. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    Need to find some of these friends...

All my friends with trucks have 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, and they use it for hauling/towing. No 4x4 play.

Maryland is not a very friendly offroading state. I'd say in a 100 mile radius to where I live, there's really no wilderness to go wheeling in (I live outside of Baltimore). I've looked!

In the warmer months, I exercise my 4wheel drive in my back yard :).

9. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    I had to share this 4x4 video. Its my favorite 4x4 video I've watched because its super unusual and funny.

If I ever get stuck, I would never think a _____________ would come to my rescue lol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlHhL2rw7k

10. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:58 PM
    littledvl

littledvl ride BMX!

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Saint Leonard MD
    Vehicle:
    08 taco dc 4x4 / 15 tundra dc 4x4
    Too many to list

Hit me up, ill go :D

11. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:02 PM
    ouyin2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCSB TRD Sport
    That is BAD ASS!!!

12. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:45 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    I haven't tried, but I don't think anything even tries happening unless you are in 4LO. Either that or it starts buzzing at you.

Hit up the regional forum of Tacomaworld.
    Search out a club. I myself belong to an FJC club, I'm the only Taco on the trail when we go! I did a quick search and you might try Maryland Creepers.
    Might be a bit of a drive but you can go to Rausch

Here's some more help

13. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    All the normal TW BS
    Good lord I just read through the requirements in that link I posted. Yeah, you guys are boned compared to what I get to do in Oregon. I think I pay $10 for a 2 year pass and trails are open nearly year round. Sorry :(

14. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Dan, I tried to write in a way so all the operations could be clear to you... where they?

15. Dec 17, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    nvdeserted

nvdeserted Well-Known Member

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma TRD OR Access Cab
    Electric Dynolock tailgate, TrailGear Slides, , 285/75-16 Yoko Geolanders on Wheelers Type B, SAW 2.0 front and back, Camburg b/j UCA, 1.5" AAL, Ubolt flip, ARB bump.
    You can hit the locker button at 100mph in 2wd... it won't engage until you are in 4lo. It just flashes until it decides it can engage, ie little to not moving in 4lo.

Once the locker is engaged you can drive as fast as you want, granted you'll be in 4lo and shouldn't be going over 20mph in in 4lo anyway.

You can modify the TRD locker to engage whenever you want... little wiring trick.

16. Dec 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Theoretically 4Hi will slow down faster because there's more driveline friction. In a RWD vehicle, driveline losses are about 20%. Having to move a front diff and three more driveshafts probably adds another 10% loss.

If you are in 4Hi, auto-LSD is active by default. Pushing the VSC button doesn't do anything. If you are in 2Hi (for example, wet pavement), VSC is safer in corners because it can brake individual front wheels to correct understeer or oversteer conditions.

Correct. There's a 4WD ECU that provides all the safeguards. The locker also disengages automatically when you exceed a certain road speed in 4Lo.

17. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:18 AM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    Yep. I believe so. Thanks. Your post was one of the most informative :)

18. Dec 18, 2010 at 2:21 AM
    tacomabiker

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Leer Shell, Tow Package,
    Haha. Yep!

Thanks though. That second link you posted was a nice summary. I bookmarked it.

19. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:28 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    It actually requires a relay... and is more complicated than it was on the 1st Gen. Tacos.

My Tacomas all had a warning sticker on the driver door (as well as in the manual) stating to NOT use the locker for anything but emergencies and not to exceed 5 mph. Sure, you could go faster... but as a liability issue, they are affraid you could lose control if you go too fast since steering is made difficult with lockers engaged (both tires per axle are locked together... and if you turn the steering wheel and try to move, one tire must rotate more than the other).

20. Dec 18, 2010 at 8:34 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Toyota calls "auto-LSD" in H4: 'TRAC' (but it is the same function as AUTO LSD, which is the 2WD limited slip with no engine regulation name).

I never saw it written that the rear locker disengages automatically.. it never has fo me... can you please provide that detail?

Products Discussed in

To Top