1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone Wired Driving lights to Fog Lights?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by House Doc, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Dec 17, 2010 at 6:58 AM
    House Doc

House Doc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I am getting my son some driving lights to go on his bull bar for XMAS.
    I was thinking about wiring the control side of the relay to operate when his fog lights are on. I would pull a fused circuit to supply the load of the lights themselves. My idea is the fog light switch would operate both sets of lights.
    Any comments on this??
    Thanks

2. Dec 17, 2010 at 7:13 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    It's an idea but could be illegal (technically) in some states. Depending on which state you live in, you're only allowed to have 4 lights on at one time. Wiring them so the fog switch turns on driving lights, as well as the fogs would put you over. I doubt you'd get caught with this, but something to think about.

Another thing, driving lights and fogs have different functions, you shouldn't need to run both at once. Fogs are supposed to be low and wide, driving lights are supposed to have more distance and a more concentrated beam. I'd run them separately. I've got my driving lights wired to a second stock fog switch but they can only come on with the high beams.

3. Dec 17, 2010 at 9:43 AM
    myname150

myname150 Well-Known Member

Member:
    x2

I got pulled over once for having all 6 lights on (Headlights, OEM Fog Lamps, Plus PIAA Lights on the Bull Bar, it was bad weather so i thought to just turn on all my lights lol). I didn't know i could only have 4 on (in texas), the guy at the install place said i should be okay to drive with all the lights turned on in the streets...Ugh.

4. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    Another thing to consider is the current draw may be too much for the relay that switches the current to the fog lamps. You are better served to add in a separate switch and relay for the driving lights. It is pretty easy to do and a fun project for the Tacoma.

If you have questions just ask for help.

5. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I wouldnt connect them to the fogs. Just put them on a separate switch.

6. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    House Doc

House Doc [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks for all the replies. I kind of like the High beam idea.

7. Dec 17, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    all.on.black

all.on.black Well-Known Member

Member:
    Auburn, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Sport with a few mods
    You don't need another switch. If you wire the factory one to a relay and let the relay control the power supply then there will be practically no current draw from the switch. It doesn't take much to switch a relay on/off. Just don't run the switch straight to the lights. If you need to I can draw up a diagram. I don't recommend running 6 lights; it's illegal in most states and it's blinding.

Products Discussed in

To Top