Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone Wired Driving lights to Fog Lights?

Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
House Doc is on a distinguished road
House Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone Wired Driving lights to Fog Lights?

I am getting my son some driving lights to go on his bull bar for XMAS.
I was thinking about wiring the control side of the relay to operate when his fog lights are on. I would pull a fused circuit to supply the load of the lights themselves. My idea is the fog light switch would operate both sets of lights.
Any comments on this??
Thanks
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Doc View Post
I am getting my son some driving lights to go on his bull bar for XMAS.
I was thinking about wiring the control side of the relay to operate when his fog lights are on. I would pull a fused circuit to supply the load of the lights themselves. My idea is the fog light switch would operate both sets of lights.
Any comments on this??
Thanks
It's an idea but could be illegal (technically) in some states. Depending on which state you live in, you're only allowed to have 4 lights on at one time. Wiring them so the fog switch turns on driving lights, as well as the fogs would put you over. I doubt you'd get caught with this, but something to think about.

Another thing, driving lights and fogs have different functions, you shouldn't need to run both at once. Fogs are supposed to be low and wide, driving lights are supposed to have more distance and a more concentrated beam. I'd run them separately. I've got my driving lights wired to a second stock fog switch but they can only come on with the high beams.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
It's an idea but could be illegal (technically) in some states. Depending on which state you live in, you're only allowed to have 4 lights on at one time. Wiring them so the fog switch turns on driving lights, as well as the fogs would put you over. I doubt you'd get caught with this, but something to think about.

Another thing, driving lights and fogs have different functions, you shouldn't need to run both at once. Fogs are supposed to be low and wide, driving lights are supposed to have more distance and a more concentrated beam. I'd run them separately. I've got my driving lights wired to a second stock fog switch but they can only come on with the high beams.
x2

I got pulled over once for having all 6 lights on (Headlights, OEM Fog Lamps, Plus PIAA Lights on the Bull Bar, it was bad weather so i thought to just turn on all my lights lol). I didn't know i could only have 4 on (in texas), the guy at the install place said i should be okay to drive with all the lights turned on in the streets...Ugh.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Another thing to consider is the current draw may be too much for the relay that switches the current to the fog lamps. You are better served to add in a separate switch and relay for the driving lights. It is pretty easy to do and a fun project for the Tacoma.

If you have questions just ask for help.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldnt connect them to the fogs. Just put them on a separate switch.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #6
House Doc is on a distinguished road
House Doc's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the replies. I kind of like the High beam idea.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need another switch. If you wire the factory one to a relay and let the relay control the power supply then there will be practically no current draw from the switch. It doesn't take much to switch a relay on/off. Just don't run the switch straight to the lights. If you need to I can draw up a diagram. I don't recommend running 6 lights; it's illegal in most states and it's blinding.