Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Carbon Fiber Grille

Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Larry D1000 is on a distinguished road

Name: Larry
Larry D1000's Tacoma Gallery
Carbon Fiber Grille

Just a little experiment I wanted to try out since I can't find a black grill anywhere. I'll probably redo it tomorrow, I think I can get it a little better

3D Flexible Carbon Fiber Vinyl (not sure if I can post the link where I bought it)

I bought a little extra 'cuz I knew it would take a couple tries.

The hard part

A little heat and the stuff stretches to get the wrinkles out. Sounds easy but it was a pain.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
i think thats pretty damn cool! a long term update and some clean macro shots of the multi angled areas would be nice. now about that link...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
Can we see some closeups
Old 12-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

Here's a closer shot. You can see the seem where I had to do it in 2 sections. I have just enough left over to try it one more time using only one piece so that there is no seem, but I'm scared if I mess that up then I am back to square one. So I'm debating just living with the seem lines.

www.topvinylfilms.com

Old 12-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Well done!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
KodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedKodiakToyTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
KodiakToyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a sexy looking truck, and beautiful job on the grille.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Another FNG
cactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud ofcactuscorn has much to be proud of

cactuscorn's Tacoma Gallery
i see what ya mean. bad spot for a seam. may want to try again with a spray bottle of a water/soap mix and a hard rubber squeegy like puttin on xpel tape - good instructions on their site too. id give ya a link but yer bogartin yers, so.... i think ya have a winner idea there that might be tastefully continued on other areas of the truck.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #12
Big Member
Snake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnake~ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Snake~'s Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, that seam is a bummer, but otherwise I like it a lot. Some matching carbon fiber eyelids might look cool too.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
sweet!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
the point is simply this
georgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shedgeorgeandkanoa is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jeff
georgeandkanoa's Tacoma Gallery
looks really good,nice work but I'd give'er another try to get the seems out,you can do it and you'll like it much better.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #15
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
i would definitely do this to my truck, if you get the seams out it would be even better, did you get the flexible carbon fiber sheet?
Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #16
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
i like this a lot!
Old 12-18-2010, 09:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113tac View Post
i would definitely do this to my truck, if you get the seams out it would be even better, did you get the flexible carbon fiber sheet?
Yea, I got the flexible carbon fiber sheet... http://www.topvinylfilms.com/product...er-1710-4.html

They sell it by the linear foot in either 51" wide or 25" wide. I bought 3' of the 51" and that's enough for two tries at it. I think what made it hard was trying to do it by myself. It might be easier with another set of hands helping. Before I attempt doing it myself again, there's a wrap shop in town I need to check with to see if maybe they can do it for me.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 AM   #18
113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed113tac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
113tac's Tacoma Gallery
oh alright cool, but yeah check them out, because that is definitely a different idea you had
Old 12-18-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
ZenkaiTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ZenkaiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice man! And your truck is badass! I bet if you clear coat it afterwards it would look like a carbon fiber hood.