Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ups guy delivered some goodies

Old 12-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
ups guy delivered some goodies

project lift tomorrow in my garage.

5100's, toytec aal, cb drop, and front diff drop.

I will post more pics tomorrow

Old 12-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck the truck should look great.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
The spring perches are upside down in the pic you posted.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Yep I know. I threw them on there really quick to take the pic. They are right side up now and the snap ring has been moved.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Yep I know. I threw them on there really quick to take the pic. They are right side up now and the snap ring has been moved.
Cool, just didn't want you to install them that way by accident!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Cool, just didn't want you to install them that way by accident!
Thanks for lookin out for me. Fortunately I'm not a NOOB when it comes to doing suspension work so hopefully the install will go pretty smoothly tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #7
MxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxRacer190 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MxRacer190's Tacoma Gallery
Why you trying to be like me? :P

Will look sexy ofc.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
www.EvolvedFinance.com
ccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shedccoorreeyy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
ccoorreeyy's Tacoma Gallery
I keep telling my UPS guy to "accidentally" deliver some gear for my truck. Hasn't happened yet.

Looks like you have a better UPS delivery guy than me.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 AM   #9

Alright here's the pics.

The install went pretty smoothly. I did it by myself in 6 hours, I'm sure it could have gone quicker if I had some help.

I forgot to take measurements..sorry.

Here's a "before" pic from about a year ago when I first got the 265/75 duratracs installed

In the garage ready for install

Stock front wheel gap

Stock rear wheel gap

Stock shock/spring assembly removed

Compressed springs on the new 5100's

shock/spring assembly reinstalled

Here's the finished product

CV angles look good after the diff drop

I did notice a slight and I mean really really slight shudder around 20mph. It drives great, obviously needs to be aligned.

A few install tips:
-Completely remove the sway bar and skid plate before you start tearing things apart.
-Seperate the upper ball joint from the knuckle. I used a 2 jaw gear puller to do this.
-Air tools, air tools, air tools. Makes life much easier.
-When getting the UCA and the knuckle back together, I used the stock bottle jack to push down the UCA, and a small floor jack to lift the knuckle upwards. This worked great without a hitch.

FYI 5100's are set at 2.5 and the the AAL is a toytec 2" aal.

In the pics you can see what the duratracs look like after 25k miles, rotated every 5k miles.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #10
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin' good. I like the 1st Gen. wheels on the truck. Looks like a 5 year younger version of my truck when I still had those wheels!

And nice job doing it yourself!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! My stuff has been here for a week, but its too cold here to tackle the job. No heat in the garage!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyfrog View Post
Looks good! My stuff has been here for a week, but its too cold here to tackle the job. No heat in the garage!
Plug a heater in, thats what I did. Last year I insulated my garage door, and blew in insulation above it, I can turn my radiator style space heater on and the garage will be comfortable in about 30-45 minutes.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #13

just got the alignment done at cherokee county toyota. he got the toe to .05 on both sides. camber to .8 on both sides and the caster to 1.8 on both sides. pretty good results.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
just got the alignment done at cherokee county toyota. he got the toe to .05 on both sides. camber to .8 on both sides and the caster to 1.8 on both sides. pretty good results.

So no more shudder at 20 mph?

Also, did you have the rear leaf tsb done? If I go with the set up I am wondering if I need thje 2" aal due to the fact I have the rear tsb done.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #16
CaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant futureCaptMorgan has a brilliant future
CaptMorgan's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good dude! Now go give it some hell
Old 12-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #17
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks now Im going to get it done I have been debating looks like February Im going to order the kit and do it!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by gov875 View Post
how tall is your truck sitting now? i barely fit in my garage by a couple inches at the moment and want to see if i can get some space and heat in there if i'll be able to get it out.

truck looks great. nice job doin it yourself, hopefully i wont have to fly solo on mine
It still fits in the garage. I have about 6 inches of clearance going through the door opening. I'm kinda worried though when I add an OEM roof rack and the 285's in the spring. I adjusted the "up travel" on my garage door so that the door pulls up level with the frame. Before, the door would sit about 3" below the frame opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02 View Post
So no more shudder at 20 mph?

Also, did you have the rear leaf tsb done? If I go with the set up I am wondering if I need thje 2" aal due to the fact I have the rear tsb done.
Well after driving a few days, I have a takeoff shudder and some vibration around 50mph. I have the OME CB drop and I added another washer yesterday to the CB. That seems to make the vibration occur at around 55mph now instead of 50mph. I think I need to get some axle shims. The vibration is definitely coming from the rear though since I can feel it in the floorboards and not in the steering wheel.

I don't have the TSB.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:45 PM   #19
whitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetaco02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
whitetaco02's Tacoma Gallery
That is really the only thing keeping me from lifting. I don't like vibrations.

If I do get it I may drive up there and get you to help me put it on, since you are from GA and all!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetaco02 View Post
That is really the only thing keeping me from lifting. I don't like vibrations.

If I do get it I may drive up there and get you to help me put it on, since you are from GA and all!
Sure I don't mind helping you out.