Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DC rear seat storage solution?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
Zulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Zulu Six's Tacoma Gallery
DC rear seat storage solution?

Are any of you as unhappy as I am with the rear storage compartment on the DC's? The damn thing just irritates me. The storage space is divided up in to two compartments for no damn reason and the silly plastic shelf on the passenger side cannot be removed. It really limits what you can put in there. On top of that, the whole top half of the compartment is wasted space.

I like the idea behind the Springtail Solutions rack system. That being said:
  1. Springtail doesn't offer anything for Tacomas.
  2. They do sell universal plates, but something to cover the Taco storage compartment would run roughly $400 and would require the buyer to also fabricate mounts.
  3. The Springtail system could definitely be improved upon. To use the rack, you have to buy molle bags. Those things are expensive. You could run some nylon webbing through there but could only mount it vertically - not horizontally to secure, say, a bottle of CO2.

So what have you done, if anything, to improve upon your rear storage compartment? Is there anyone out there offering aftermarket kit for it? Has anyone tried to fabricate something?
Old 12-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Some remove the plastic all together and it frees up a lot of room.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
Zulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shedZulu Six is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
Thanks for the link! I will give that a look after dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Some remove the plastic all together and it frees up a lot of room.
Thanks! Thats what I was thinking of doing, but I want some kind of rack system in there so I can use all of the space.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
If you're handy with metal/wood/whatever, maybe try building your own? Or find a buddy that can help. Would be quite cost effective. Usually just the cost for the materials, and a case of beer.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouyin2000 View Post
If you're handy with metal/wood/whatever, maybe try building your own? Or find a buddy that can help. Would be quite cost effective. Usually just the cost for the materials, and a case of beer.
x2, remove the plastic and use some plywood to build what you want. Not a big deal and no where near $400.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:07 PM   #7

Army:
I like the way you guys think!

I spent the afternoon removing the rear seats and storage bins, cutting out that middle bar that supports the anchor points for the child safety seat and taking some measurements.I think I can rig something up. My cutting, bending and welding skills are weak so this is gonna be uglier than sin...but it should be sturdy.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #8
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
Yea if you dont want to mount sub boxes or amps there, then just remove the bins and build your own custom racks or whatever. I never found a need to keep anything back there besides tie down straps. there really isnt enough room for much else, and I have a bed tool box for larger items anyway.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
yeah, considering what some guys are making for subs and an amp "rack", you should be able to fab something up that's pretty useable, room-wise.

if i were you, though, i'd take a cue from the audio guys and line that back wall of the can with some of that thin dynamat superlite or something similar.