Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Whining sound from engine compartment

Old 12-18-2010, 07:53 PM   #1
ozzyhockey is on a distinguished road
ozzyhockey's Tacoma Gallery
Whining sound from engine compartment

There is a constant whining sound coming from the engine department. I have tried to figure out where it's coming from but I can't figure it out. I have even tried using a hose to isolate it, but no luck. It has to be either the alternator or water pump. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
-Nick
Old 12-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #2
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Check your engine again. I've had this problem before. It's the wife. She whines all the time, I hear her in the truck as well. Most of the time, she hides right under the air box.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
hahaha i'll check it out
Old 12-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
SadManGrin is on a distinguished road

SadManGrin's Tacoma Gallery
lol
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Did you put a supercharger in your truck??? Hows that going for ya
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #6
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyhockey View Post
There is a constant whining sound coming from the engine department. I have tried to figure out where it's coming from but I can't figure it out. I have even tried using a hose to isolate it, but no luck. It has to be either the alternator or water pump. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
-Nick
i like using a pry bar to listen for sounds and try to locate/isolate them. a huge screw driver can work too. just apply the tool to a part of the piece you think is making the noise and cup your hand over your ear next to the handle. it can get very hairy on moving items so be careful. could be a pulley bearing or a belt that is too tight. it also could be more involved like you said.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 AM   #7
Fortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shedFortech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fortech's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue and it turned out to be a couple of bad idler pulleys. Pull the belt from the front and start the engine. If it is one of the pulleys the noise will now be gone.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
The thing is that it whines like this while I'm driving too, no matter how fast
Old 12-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #9
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzyhockey View Post
The thing is that it whines like this while I'm driving too, no matter how fast
does the whine get higher pitched with vehicle speed? does it get higher with engine speed?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #10
Yes it does get a little higher pitched with speed. It kind of sounds like a supercharger
Old 12-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #11
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
when i cracked my rack and pinion it whined like non other
Old 12-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
hakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud ofhakan has much to be proud of
Name: hakan
hakan's Tacoma Gallery
rack and pin

it sounds like a rack and pinion problem, I have the same issue right now. check to see if your steering fluid is where its supposed to be. specially it will make the noise when its being turned while standing. Good luck.