1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CBI Offroad - Hidden Front Hitch Install

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LivianInt, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    LivianInt

LivianInt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dbl Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad 6-Speed Manual
    Undercover SE, OEM Bed mat, OEM Bed extender, Fog Lights any time mod, Garage door remote switched by high beams, ScanGauge II on Blendmount, Dome/Map Lights Mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Redline gas hood struts, CBI front hitch receiver, Warn 9000i Winch, Lockable Rattle Proof Hitch Pin, All-Pro Bolt on Sliders, Front and Rear Power Quick Connectors, Rear Spring TSB,
    This is the first thread that I have started. I always wanted a front mount hitch for my '95 Tacoma but never did anything about it. I saw this link (http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72923) and just had to buy a CBI front hitch for my 2011. I ordered the hitch and winch cradle at the beginning of Sept. It came in and I installed it over the weekend.

I found the front bumper components (http://www.customtacos.com/tech/fil...6toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/06300110.pdf), the front bumper removal (http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/06300.pdf) and front bumper installation (http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/data/ileaf/06toyrm/06toypdf/06rmsrc/rm2006ta/063000.pdf) instructions in OEM repair manual very helpful to know where all of the clips and screws were. The install manual was especially helpful to know best order for putting everything back together. Was much easier than I expected.

Here is a picture of the CBI Front Hitch Receiver
    [​IMG]

There was also a hinge mount for the license plate that I had already installed. Picture of it shows up later.

The grill removal was straight forward (two clips and two screws). Pull straight up and off.

The bumper cover removal was more difficult but the repair manual instructions showed where all of the clips and screws are. Reaching in to get the 6 blue clips for color match extender (4x4) on each side was a tight fit for my massive arms.:eek: Once all of the clips and screws and fog lamp connector were disconnected, it pulled right off.

Here is my 2011 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road Package w/ grill and bumper cover removed.
    [​IMG]

Here it is with the aluminum bumper, aluminum offsets, and extenders removed (not sure what else to call them).
    [​IMG]

Everything lined up pretty well. The ends were boxed in and were a tight fit. I had to grind a little material away from the drivers side and use my 3lb persuader to get it on. Once on, it bolted up pretty easily using the original bolts (note, aluminum offsets from the frame and the bolt on extensions on either side of the mount point are removed.... see the extenders on the floor in pictire above)

Here is first picture with hitch in place and aluminum bumper installed. See receiver sitting above aluminum bumper. Hitch takes the place of the original aluminum offsets.
    [​IMG]

Next, there is a brace for each side that attached to the frame further back. It took me a couple of tries to see how they went on. I had to remove the skid plate and the sway bar mount on each side. The brace fits in between the frame and the sway bar mount. The long bolt goes through the frame.

Picture of passenger side brace.
    [​IMG]

The bolt on each side connecting the hitch where the "extenders" were on each side was an exercise in dexterity especially since the one on passenger side didn't line up well. This required a smaller persuader to hammer the bolt in. Luckily, I didn't bugger up the threads. I was just able to get a 3/4 box end wrench through the small space where the nut was.

Drivers side brace and good view of installed hitch / bumper.
    [​IMG]

I trimmed the middle tabs to allow access to the receiver (used a hacksaw blade).

Time to put it all together. Once again, the Repair manual helped to remind where all of the clips and screws go and the proper order. I stuck a screwdriver in the center mount point where the clip goes to hold it all in place while I did the lower clips and the wheel wells.

Here it is all back together with the license plate swung up on the hinge.
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture with Winch Cradle in receiver.:D Now I need a winch.;)
    [​IMG]

I am a little worried that the license plate doesn't swing far enough out of the way. The original post (link at beginning of this post) had a plate holder that plugged into the receiver. I like the plate hinge but it needs to get out of the way of the winch basket.

Another minor issue is that my class 3 hitch and my class 3 bicycle rack do not fit into the receiver. The size of the receiver is OK but the inside radii are too large (cut the corner) so my standard stuff doesn't fit. I am going to have to grind the corners off of my standard stuff so they will fit in the receiver. Not a big deal but was an unexpectected surprise.

Here is a picture of the final product back in the driveway.... Looks just like it did before. Except now, the hitch receiver is hidden behind the plate.
    [​IMG]

I hope this install thread helps someone else to decide to buy this great product from CBI Offroad. It is not featured on their website but they apparently build a few of them.

Rod

2. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    thats really cool, i never knew anyone made anything like that, let us know how it is when you get to test it

3. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    SocalMan22

SocalMan22 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve-0
    So*Cal
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Dbl Cab
    What Mods!
    Looks good.

4. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:48 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Thats awesome. I've seen them around here a few times before, but never with an installation write up. Good work.
    I love the way the hitch looks.. I think its really a smart idea. I'd like to get one incase I need it for a tow point. I have a reciever shackle in my rear hitch and it would be cool to just throw it on the front if I need it.

How much did it run you (with out the winch basket)

5. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Undercover SE, OEM Bed mat, OEM Bed extender, Fog Lights any time mod, Garage door remote switched by high beams, ScanGauge II on Blendmount, Dome/Map Lights Mod, Illuminated 4x4 switch, Redline gas hood struts, CBI front hitch receiver, Warn 9000i Winch, Lockable Rattle Proof Hitch Pin, All-Pro Bolt on Sliders, Front and Rear Power Quick Connectors, Rear Spring TSB,
    Same here... All of the aftermarket stuff hangs down. It serves it purpose, but personally, I don't think they look very good. They also eat into ground clearance. The original thread cited from TacomaTerritory was the first one they made and was basically fab'd right on the truck. If you follow that thread, they improved the design as the built a few more. Although it is still a custom fab, they standardized them pretty much like all of their other products (rock sliders, rear bumpers, front bumpers, etc).

Rod

6. Dec 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM
    113tac

113tac Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tacoma
    Mostly Stock for now, 265 75 16 Falken AT3W, Tinted fronts...
    ohh that explains it, i just checked out their website and didnt see it, its definitely something i would get if it wasnt too expensive compared to a full offroad bumper

x2 on the cost if you dont mind

7. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    The hitch receiver was $349 (license plate hinge mount included).
    The winch cradle was $125.
    Shipping for both items was $50.

Rod

8. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:12 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    That's awesome! Uhaul has some 2"(smaller) to 2"(larger) adapters that should make it work without having to grind your bike rack. It will be pushed out further though but that may be a good thing to keep the handle bars away from the hood.

What's the color match extender that you had trouble with? The fender flare that continues on to the bumper?

9. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    Nice write up!

10. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Yes.... thanks for the proper terminology. I didn't note it in the install, but putting the flairs back on the bumper cover with it off was alot easier than getting those clips loose while it was on.

Thanks for heads up on the adaptors:cheers:.... I will check it out. My wife freaked when she saw that I was considering grinding the corners off the bike rack. Clearance should not be an issue. It sticks out there a ways...
    Rod

11. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    sweet cant wait to get mine done

12. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare Prepared for Bambi

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Jacksonville Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 Double Cab TRD Rugged Trail
    CBI Moab 2.0, CBI Trail Rider 2.0, CBI sliders w/kickout, Superwinch EPi9.0S, OME sport shocks w/886 coils, OME n182, 1.5" aal, JasonBuilt 3/16th full belly skid, BuiltRight uca, Body Mount Chop, 285/75/16 km2's, Rear cat delete, exhaust crossover rerouted, Fog light anytime, Locker mod, Rear leaf tsb, Debadged, Uws Tool Box, Electric Exhaust Cutout, AFE Pro Dry S, Kiwi Wifi, Diff Breather Relocated, Grom Ipod Adapter, Dual Diehard platinum batteries isolated by BlueSea marine switch
    I don't think you needed to remove those lol.

No problem. Thanks for the great write up and giving back to TW. :cheers:

13. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    where do you plan on keeping the winch n cradle

14. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:40 PM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    i love this idea. Might need to get one when some money shows up. :)

Thanks for the write up.

15. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    I think you are right. I noted that you put them back on before installing the cover. Not sure why the service manual for bumper removal instructed to take them off (maybe just showing how).

16. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    DonnoD

DonnoD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 v6
    if you dont mind me asking how much did the front receiver hitch run you? without the winch basket

17. Dec 19, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    DonnoD

DonnoD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    las vegas
    Vehicle:
    07 dc 4x4 v6
    oops nevermind i just wasnt reading the whole thread i got the price.

18. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Haven't figured it out yet. Until I get a winch, it will be in the garage :mad:. Once I have a winch and get it mounted, I will have to figure out a way to secure it in the bed. I don't like the idea of carrying around an extra 100+ pounds if it is not needed but I would hate to be stuck somewhere and wish I had it. You never know when the opportunity to use it will present itself.

I heard of someone bolting a receiver in the bed. Maybe not the most convenient to get at it, but secure for day to day driving.

19. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Aalders

Aalders Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    This is awesome. wish i had a need for a wench so i could justify getting one of these!

20. Dec 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    LivianInt

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodney
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    That is my next issue. I don't "need" a winch but I want one. I will have some explaining to do.:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top