Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

step tubes.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: CH53E Avionics Tech
Name: Lee
montgomery_30824's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to montgomery_30824
step tubes.

i have what i am guessing are the stock step tubes installed on my 06 DC. they are right up agianst the body of the truck and i was wondering is there anyway to lower them a bit? kinda pointless when they are right even with the floor of the cab.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #2
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomery_30824 View Post
i have what i am guessing are the stock step tubes installed on my 06 DC. they are right up agianst the body of the truck and i was wondering is there anyway to lower them a bit? kinda pointless when they are right even with the floor of the cab.
sounds like they're not step tubes but rock guards.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
exactly why I didn't get them
Old 08-14-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
post a pic so we can see what you have man!!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-frax View Post
sounds like they're not step tubes but rock guards.
No such thing as OEM "rock guards" (I assume you mean rock sliders).

The fact is, the majority (all?) tube steps/nerfs out there are like that, a couple inches below the door. My Westin's are the same. I'm actually about to take mine off because they're just in the way of my 7 month pregnant wife and don't help her step in at all. Something like the N-Fab's would be much better and I may actually buy a set eventually.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
t-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shedt-frax is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post

The fact is, the majority (all?) tube steps/nerfs out there are like that, a couple inches below the door. My Westin's are the same. I'm actually about to take mine off because they're just in the way of my 7 month pregnant wife and don't help her step in at all. Something like the N-Fab's would be much better and I may actually buy a set eventually.
oops, my mistake...i did mean rock sliders. Yeh N-fabs are what i'm saving up for.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
do w3rk!
deadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeadbolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

deadbolt's Tacoma Gallery
does the n-fab need welding or does it bolt right in?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

for the record...there are such things as OEM rocker skids or rock sliders or rock guards...but not for the tacoma...they are an option on the fj cruiser
Old 08-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Right, and I know that but we aren't talking about the FJ. Toyota ought to think about offering them for the Tacoma, though.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Right, and I know that but we aren't talking about the FJ. Toyota ought to think about offering them for the Tacoma, though.

i dunno...if the fj oem ones are anything like the crap oem hummer ones...consumers are better off buying aftermarket stuff
Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
montgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmontgomery_30824 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pretty sure they are step tubes since they have the plastic steps. anywho u be the judge.
Attached Thumbnails
step tubes.-100_0982.jpg   step tubes.-100_0983.jpg   step tubes.-100_0985.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
Revived and BACK baby!
joedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant futurejoedirt has a brilliant future

Army: Squad Automatic Rifleman, 29th Light Infantry
joedirt's Tacoma Gallery
They keep debris from stripping off the paint on the rockers.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #13

t-frax's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
pretty sure they are step tubes since they have the plastic steps. anywho u be the judge.
as far as i can tell, they look like running boards
Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #14

so can they be lowered or no?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Smart-ass but realistic response: Anything's possible. It all depends on your fabrication skills and/or pockets.

How much time and effort are you willing to put into making new mounts? Can you weld or do you know someone who can?

Sometimes it's just easier, and ultimately cheaper, to buy something that suits your needs. You could probably Ebay those if you took that route.

Just a thought.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
Drew793 will become famous soon enoughDrew793 will become famous soon enough

Drew793's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't have step on mine but maybe you could make spacers and use longer mounting bolts to drop them down a bit?

It seems like it would be tough to step into a Tacoma with any step. My brother has a Nissan Titan with aftermarket steps but his trucks cab is taller and easier to step up and into. The Tacoma is more like a car to step into.

remember that if you get a lower step or bar that you will loose some ground clearance unless you lift the truck.

This has been my debate about getting them.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
`
rick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shedrick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rick's Tacoma Gallery
i say dump em
Old 08-16-2008, 05:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
i say dump em
nah not gonna dump them. love the look of the tubes. i am thinking about maybe puttin a 3 inch lift on it too but not sure cause its the 2WD.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:16 PM   #19
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nah not gonna dump them. love the look of the tubes. i am thinking about maybe puttin a 3 inch lift on it too but not sure cause its the 2WD.
3 inch lifts look really good, and they also perform pretty well. the prerunners look great with a 3incher!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #20

yeah. saw a guy with a ext. cab with the 3" lift and it looked sweet.