Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blower motor squeal. rrrgh

Old 12-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #1
Hockeyfan is on a distinguished road
Name: Nigel
Hockeyfan's Tacoma Gallery
Blower motor squeal. rrrgh

I know some of you on here have had issues with the infamous blower motor squeal. I'm curious what other people have gone through. I took my taco in just before the comprehensive coverage ran out to get a new blower motor installed which they did without any hastle. The thing is, three months and 5000 kms later i'm bringing the truck back with the exact same issue! anyone else had a similar experience? I can't beleive that the fan kicked the bucket in 3 months. the guy at the service dept. tells me that toyota has apparently made a slight change in the design on the fan to help, and says that he has seen one truck (tacoma) come back in as little as a month and a half! apparently this is also an issue in the sienna aswell? such a small, but hugely annoying problem on such a gorgeous truck!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I've been meaning to take mine in to get it fixed. It drives me nuts. Makes me want to put my boot through the dash on long drives.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Hockeyfan is on a distinguished road
Name: Nigel
Hockeyfan's Tacoma Gallery
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Simple fix

Step 1: turn on radio
Step 2: turn up volume

This is the only method that has lasted.

Every thread I read about people getting them fixed had the same issue again months later. Good luck and let us know if the newly redesigned motor doesn't eat bushings like the current one.

Haha... till then i'm crankin' up the tunes!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Not really an option for me becuase I have a young child.

I have a new one on the way and its covered under warrenty.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
I just covered that bearing in white lithium grease, no problems for a few months now. Any other lubricant was giving me a few weeks of no noise.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Greasing it with Lithium is a temporary solution; I did that and the noise came back stronger in 4 months. Bottom line, the blower fans in these trucks suck. You'll be replacing the fan annually unless Toyota comes up with a viable solution. The new TSB is worthless too. I had a new desing model installed and crapped out in 6 months. I ordered an aftermarket replacement off of Amazon hoping it will be better than the piece of crap OEM Delphi made one in our trucks.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:16 AM   #7
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan View Post
Haha... till then i'm crankin' up the tunes!
x2
Old 12-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #8
allrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud ofallrsdup has much to be proud of
allrsdup's Tacoma Gallery
mine was replaced under warranty last year for the squeal. and now a year later it is squealing again. i think this is ridiculous. i never had so many problems with my 99' this will be my last toyota.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #9
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
My 08 did it and my 2010 does it.... Has since the day I bought both of them.

She looks pretty though....
Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM   #10
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
I have had mine replaced under warranty and now that one is bad. Just under 40K miles on the truck, out of warranty and I'm living with the noise for now. Will most likely get the one off of Amazon once the noise pisses me off enough.
Toyota quality seems to be really slipping. My next vehicle will NOT be a Toyota. I've bought 3 in a row... time for something that has quality like Toyota USED TO!!!
Old 12-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
The "Search" tab is your friend!!
steviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteviestyles is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Steve
steviestyles's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRabbitFurHead View Post
I have had mine replaced under warranty and now that one is bad. Just under 40K miles on the truck, out of warranty and I'm living with the noise for now. Will most likely get the one off of Amazon once the noise pisses me off enough.
Toyota quality seems to be really slipping. My next vehicle will NOT be a Toyota. I've bought 3 in a row... time for something that has quality like Toyota USED TO!!!
Unfortunately Toyota has decided to outsource it's parts procurement to companies like Delphi, who make parts for GM, so Toyota will be plagued by some of the same nit noid issues GM has/had. Toyota's quality has gone down since the 90's; we'll see if they live up to their promise to restore the quality. It has nothing to do with made in Japan either. Check out the new 4 Runner; which is made in Japan. There are issues with cheap feeling and lack of quality with the interior. Unfortunately, the Tacoma really does lead the Mid size segment as nobody wants to compete because the market is too small for the mid size truck and the profit margin is negligible. I'm surprised Hyundai or Kia hasn't attempted to throw their hat in the ring in trucks.

Ford has made great strides, but I had a bad experince with my old Ranger and it'll take me a little bit to go back; same with GM....forget Chrysler.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #12
MJG is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
MJG's Tacoma Gallery
I've replaced this fm motor twice under warranty. This third one is the WORST. I'm ready to sell the fn truck..chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp..ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh F me...is a quiet fan the holly Grail in engineering now..WTF
Old 12-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i thought i had that problem til i found my passenger side mirror was loose.tightened it up and no chirping.go figure
Old 12-24-2010, 04:27 PM   #15
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
I took the cover off and then the motor out and cleaned it with MAF cleaner and no more squeaks or noises.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #16
RedYoter10 is on a distinguished road

Name: Andrew
RedYoter10's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota has the second one for me on order right now. I guess if this next one squeaks, then I will consider some different options. I definetely not ready to throw in the toyota towel yet. This is my first Toyota after growing up with a long line of chevys. My last truck was a 2000 gmc sierra, I had it less than a year due to all the issues I had with it.. Electrical, nutless v8 that drank gas, soft gm automatic trannies, and did i mention electrical!!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
captain72 is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Chief Boatswains Mate
captain72's Tacoma Gallery
Same issue here. Brought mine in for the second time for the noise. This time they said there is a TSB on the issue. Apparently the TSB has do do with a component of the blower motor. They had a blower in stock and were going to replace it but the service advisor wanted to hold off and wait for this mystery component because he knew I'd just return with the same problem even with the new motor. I'll know more next week when I get it done and I'll try and get the TSB or at least the invoice to see what was changed in addition to the blower.