Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Regeared after supercharger?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
tomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
Regeared after supercharger?

Anyone regeared after adding a S/C? Thinking of doing this to make up for the weight I have hanging off my Tacoma. It still has plenty of power but immmaking it work pretty hard. Anyone?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Not worth it, unless you have an extra $2000 laying around that you don't don't kn ow what to do with. Now, if you're going from a 31 to a 35 tire, then I would consider it.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
tomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomesd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
Good advice. OP, it's probly not worth it since you only have 285s. Those are light tires on their own, and a supercharger probably makes you not even feel them I'd assume. I'm sure someone has done it, but I would guess that anyone that did has a 37+ tire that way they could still have low highway RPMs but low end torque for city driving. For example, 4.56s with 37s and a SC would make sense. I've even seen that combo on a 1st gen Tacoma.
You might assume that but the fact is with the heavy front and rear bumpers, snugtop, racks, stereo, dynamat, etc, the engine is working harder to turn those 3.73's. I can tell a big difference with the setup I have now. Before the weight additions I hadn't thought much about regearing because, you're right, I didn't notice the 33's (I could haze them!) but what I've read is that 4.56's will bring the rpm's up to stockish with 33's- I think it'll crawl easier, have more pep at slower speeds around town, and perhaps wear less.

What are your thoughts? am I off base?
Old 12-23-2010, 04:23 AM   #5
Tckwarrior is on a distinguished road

Name: Aaron
Tckwarrior's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoridinhigh View Post
Good advice. OP, it's probly not worth it since you only have 285s. Those are light tires on their own, and a supercharger probably makes you not even feel them I'd assume. I'm sure someone has done it, but I would guess that anyone that did has a 37+ tire that way they could still have low highway RPMs but low end torque for city driving. For example, 4.56s with 37s and a SC would make sense. I've even seen that combo on a 1st gen Tacoma.
Unless you buy KM2's, these bitches are heavy on my 2.7L
Old 12-31-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
tomesd's Tacoma Gallery
I've researched it and considered my setup and I've had a change of heart. The thing I like about the S/C is that the engine doesn't know it has all the weight behind it. I think the only advantage to regearing is pep below 45 mph. It might be quicker off the line or something crazy like that but for a daily driver or an expo rig a regear (after a S/C) I've decided is unnecessary. I like the fact that I can drive 70 at 1900 rpm and still have the torque to climb a hill or pass a car without a gear change.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
I am an asshole, deal with it!
extremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedextremachn1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Chief Fire Controlman, Phalanx, CG-49, LCC-19, FFG-37, LPWS C-RAM 5-5 ADA A Battery
Name: Turd Furgison
extremachn1's Tacoma Gallery
"I like the fact that I can drive 70 at 1900 rpm and still have the torque to climb a hill or pass a car without a gear change."

UM... Is this an automatic thing, because I can tell you that at 70 my S/C 6spd is not doing 1900 rpm. I wish to god it was though...
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
Mines 2000 at 71-72 with 285s