Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tacoma motor mounts are stronger than people think...

Old 12-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma motor mounts are stronger than people think...

After a hard hit in the desert, I experienced a ticking/grinding noise when putting the truck in reverse. I was perplexed how the hit could've caused it, as it was only in reverse. It was not until I had another person put the truck in reverse while I looked under the hood did it become clear - the engine was rocking over to the driver's side while in reverse and the fan was contacting the fan shroud.

I figured I broke an engine mount so I took the truck down to the shop to have it replaced. We threw it up on the lift and to my surprise the mount was fine. It wasn't until closer inspection that we noticed it had pushed through the frame on three sides. The motor mount had pushed through the frame on three of its sides, leaving the top side attached.

The shop bent it back out, welded it in place, boxed it up, and gusseted the mount. Good as new, $200 in fabrication and $69 for the front diff. service (front driver's side axle had to be pulled to get at the mount).

Lesson learned - gusset your stuff. I knew I needed it, but kept putting it off.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-failing.html

Seems to happen to street driven 05s and to 06 Tacomas that are driven hard. FJ's also have this issue. Might want to reinforce the other side before it breaks if you are going to continue using your truck in the desert.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes06tacoma View Post
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...d-failing.html

Seems to happen to street driven 05s and to 06 Tacomas that are driven hard. FJ's also have this issue. Might want to reinforce the other side before it breaks if you are going to continue using your truck in the desert.
I've known about that one for a while. For a while I was surprised that I hadn't broken motor mounts yet, but then I guess my confidence in them grew.

To their credit, it was one hell of a hit.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
I've known about that one for a while. For a while I was surprised that I hadn't broken motor mounts yet, but then I guess my confidence in them grew.

To their credit, it was one hell of a hit.
Good to know since I have a street queen 06.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Chandler L. is on a distinguished road

Chandler L.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
After a hard hit in the desert, I experienced a ticking/grinding noise when putting the truck in reverse. I was perplexed how the hit could've caused it, as it was only in reverse. It was not until I had another person put the truck in reverse while I looked under the hood did it become clear - the engine was rocking over to the driver's side while in reverse and the fan was contacting the fan shroud.

I figured I broke an engine mount so I took the truck down to the shop to have it replaced. We threw it up on the lift and to my surprise the mount was fine. It wasn't until closer inspection that we noticed it had pushed through the frame on three sides. The motor mount had pushed through the frame on three of its sides, leaving the top side attached.

The shop bent it back out, welded it in place, boxed it up, and gusseted the mount. Good as new, $200 in fabrication and $69 for the front diff. service (front driver's side axle had to be pulled to get at the mount).

Lesson learned - gusset your stuff. I knew I needed it, but kept putting it off.
Damn dude any pics?