Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Are 884's enough? or 885's or 886's?

Old 12-24-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Hunter'06FLKY is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
Hunter'06FLKY's Tacoma Gallery
Are 884's enough? or 885's or 886's?

So I am in the process of getting a hybrid plate/tube bumper built and I plan on getting a winch to go with it, will my current setup with OME 884's and 5100's be enough or do I need to bump up to 885's or 886's?

I plan on running a synthetic line on the winch and my truck is only a 4 cylinder so I don't have as much weight up front. I wouldn't mind some more lift but going up to the 885s or more would require new UCA's too. What do ya'll think?

Here's a current pic

Old 12-24-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Reagan/Bush '84
Colton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shedColton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Dependant  (Father had 24 yrs on the Eisenhower, Ordinance Officer)
Name: Colton
Colton's Tacoma Gallery
I'd probably go with 885's in your situation. 884's are made for the access cabs (since they don't have as much weight as the DC's, therefore don't need the 885's) but since you plan on going with the winch, it's going to be like having a DC in terms of weight. Your 884's will sag over time most likely. Hopefully someone who's run this setup can chime in.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Hunter'06FLKY is on a distinguished road

Hunter'06FLKY's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help Colton!

Has anyone run a setup like this on a 4cylinder?
Old 12-27-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Since you are a 4 cylinder, you might be okay with the 884's. I think you should be but then again, I'm not an expert. If I were you, I would just measure the height you got up front right now then check it again after the new bumper and winch. Then if you feel you are sagging to much, then I would go with the 885's.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I had the 884s on my A-cab. No top plate. Without the winch and bumper, I still couldn't get it aligned right (though it rode fine enough, but I just ordered UCAs for my 886 set up). With the winch and bumper it road like a land yacht, dipping, swaying, rolling every which way. With the 886s, no top plate, arb, winch, and no sway bar it rides great, minimal body roll and the front actually isn't too bumpy, the dakars are pretty stiff out back though.

If I HAD to pick a coil for your set up I would go with 885s, but I'm not too sure.

My alignment specs with 884s (no winch/bumper)

I guess I should add: I liked how the 884s rode and handled with stock UCAs and no bumper. I hated how the 884s rode with the bumper winch and stock UCAs but liked how it handled.
I like how the 886s ride with the bumper and winch, but I don't care for how it handles now (it wants to follow ruts and feels floaty, ALTHOUGH, this has only been since I moved up to 285s) , so I've got UCAs on the way.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
Token
Fluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedFluffymonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fluffymonkey's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 884s now on my double cab and have right at 2'' of lift. My intention was to go with minimal lift so I didn't have to worry about ucas, but I do plan on adding the additional top plate now to bump up close to 3'' since I went ahead and got LR ucas. Since you're going with a new bumper and winch i'd go with the 885s in your case since that's going to sag your front a bit as it is.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
I'd run the 884 on the .85 setting after you add the extra weight and if that's not enough to compensate for the weight go to the 1.75. If they sag too much then I'd go up to the 885/886's. I'd work with what you have first though.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton View Post
I'd probably go with 885's in your situation. 884's are made for the access cabs (since they don't have as much weight as the DC's, therefore don't need the 885's) but since you plan on going with the winch, it's going to be like having a DC in terms of weight. Your 884's will sag over time most likely. Hopefully someone who's run this setup can chime in.
This ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
I'd run the 884 on the .85 setting after you add the extra weight and if that's not enough to compensate for the weight go to the 1.75. If they sag too much then I'd go up to the 885/886's. I'd work with what you have first though.
I dont thinhk I would run more preload on teh springs. Being as the winch alone is close to 100#'s or more (depending on model) I think he's better off getting the 885's right off the bat.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Prepared for Bambi
Jason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shedJason'sLawnCare is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Jason'sLawnCare's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
This ^^^^

I dont thinhk I would run more preload on teh springs. Being as the winch alone is close to 100#'s or more (depending on model) I think he's better off getting the 885's right off the bat.
Yes the 885's are ideal but he's got the option of preloading them why not try to exhaust that option before dropping more dough on it? To my understanding he's already got the 884's and 5100's. Maybe I missed something though.