Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Aux Fuse Block, Where to locate?

Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Aux Fuse Block, Where to locate?

Hey guys, I am wanting to install an axillary fuse block in my 2006 (Doublecab TRD with 6-speed manual transmission). I will use it to power radios and extra cigar lighter power outlets, etc. I want to locate the fuse block inside the cab to minimize the number of wires I need to feed through the firewall and to keep the fuse block away from the elements (which are really messy given the places I go).

I picked up a Blue Sea Systems 12 fuse block.

Any ideas on where I can mount it? I am coming up with lousy options.

Also, any ideas on good places to put extra cigar lighter power outlets? I am going to put a couple on the back of the center console. Anybody have good places to locate them up front?

Thanks.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
j1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shedj1999t is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Justin
j1999t's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, i am interested too
Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
qnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shedqnyla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
In your toolbox... imho!
Nice install. I have a Snugtop shell on the truck so that will not work for me.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #5
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Dean'o
Location: Wisconsin, Hawaii, California, North Carolina...everywhere
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
^Wasn't somebody going to make and sell those mounts? I need one!!
Old 12-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
ilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shedilovetacos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gavin
ilovetacos's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to ilovetacos
You may have a hard time finding room for it in the cab. I do remember seeing someone on the FJ Cruiser forum that mounted it under the dash. To me it looked a little sloppy and out of place.

My install thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #7

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
When mounted under the hood, does the Blue Sea fuse block get full of dust and mud? It does not look too weatherproof to me.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #8
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
I dont have pics now, but I was able to fit the Blue Seas fuse block behind the glove box on a bracket I made. Keep in mind that you will still will have to get a good size pair of cables to it depending on what you want to distribute to. I think I ran 2 or 4 ga. cable to it. I will see if I can get a pic or two in the next few days.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #9

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I dont have pics now, but I was able to fit the Blue Seas fuse block behind the glove box on a bracket I made. Keep in mind that you will still will have to get a good size pair of cables to it depending on what you want to distribute to. I think I ran 2 or 4 ga. cable to it. I will see if I can get a pic or two in the next few days.
Seeing the photos would be great. I am looking at 4 AWG cables from the battery.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Mall Crawler
MrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrGrimm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by qnyla View Post
When mounted under the hood, does the Blue Sea fuse block get full of dust and mud? It does not look too weatherproof to me.
I have mine under the hood at the moment on top of the stock fuse block. It doesnt get too dirty. It is high enough for water to keep out of it.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #11

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
I have mine under the hood at the moment on top of the stock fuse block. It doesnt get too dirty. It is high enough for water to keep out of it.
The cleanest install would be in the engine compartment, but I am worried about the dust and mud as the Blue Sea is not sealed up like the main fuse block in the engine compartment.

The best I have come up with so far inside the cab is in the center console behind the shifter. Very cramped and crappy.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #12

qnyla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrimm View Post
^Wasn't somebody going to make and sell those mounts? I need one!!
If somebody did make up a batch, I'd sure like to buy one...
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM   #13
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
God I wish I had room in my eng bay.. I have a limited first gen so theres no room.. I had to take out my overflow tank and mount it there..
Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
Here are a couple pics of one behind the glove box. The mount and block come out by removing the wing nuts then you can pull it out for easy access. If you have it out when you wire new stuff there will be enough extra wire slack to pull it out again and work on it.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
yosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyosh2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yosh2000's Tacoma Gallery
see my build thread in my sig...looks much like the other blue sea installs
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #16
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I've been working under the hood on my compressor install.

It occured to me that a possible good location for a fuse block would be mounted to the top of the LID of the factory fuse box.

Brilliant or stupid?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
Mall Crawler

Marines:
MrGrimm's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I've been working under the hood on my compressor install.

It occured to me that a possible good location for a fuse block would be mounted to the top of the LID of the factory fuse box.

Brilliant or stupid?
That's where mine is. Problem is that if I have to get to the stock fuse box, it can be a pain in the ass.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
That space is taken - it's where I just put my compressor.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
On my reg cab - the passenger side has the master cylinder mounted where most have space for a compressor.