Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Can you fit 285 70 17's on stock rims and keep the front mud flaps?

Old 12-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Life in RVSM
Merovingian is on a distinguished road

Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada and Blaine WA depending on work
Merovingian's Tacoma Gallery
Can you fit 285 70 17's on stock rims and keep the front mud flaps?

I just ordered the ToyTec 3 inch OME lift with the top plate spacer and rear spring pack for a true 3 inch lift on my 09 DC Tacoma.

I am trying to make up my mind between BFG All Terrains in 275-70-17 or 285-70-17 on the stock rims. I don't mind a small amount of trimming but do not want to take off the front mud flaps. Without spacers and with out doing alot of hard wheeling will I be able to fit the 285-70-17's? Or should I stick with the 275-70-17's?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've seen, there's no way you'll be able to fit the 285's without spacers.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
wolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwolfdog2314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
wolfdog2314's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2.5 inch lift (eibach 5100 combo) and a wheel with 4.25 backspacing. And 286/70/17 duratracs. I rub in reverse and turning on big bumps. It's rubbing on mud flaps...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
I'm very confident the mudflaps have to go. Although I changed rims, I couldn't even back off the lift without removing the flaps. Even with the lift, my fronts bottom out on my fenders so bad it's not fun. I discussed fiberglass fronts and was accused of being a poser. Whatever.

RZ Rob
Old 12-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
You will rub on the mudflaps, especially if you go with MTs with enormous lugs.

Whether or not you care is up to you.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Discount Tire Company
Archangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shedArchangel is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force:
Name: Matt
Archangel's Tacoma Gallery
mud flaps are ghey
Old 12-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #7
Life in RVSM
Merovingian is on a distinguished road

Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada and Blaine WA depending on work
Merovingian's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the advice so far. It seems that anyone who runs the 285-70-17's are using wheel spacers or after market wheels with different back spacing. I figured the 275-70-17's would be my best best as I drive alot on gravel roads and want the front flaps to try and save the body chips.

So no one has tried the 285-70-17's on stock rims with out spacers and kept the front flaps?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Im running 285's on 17" FJ rims, not runnig any kind of spacers but I did remove the front flaps due to some minor rubbing
Old 12-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
SCLOSKEY will become famous soon enoughSCLOSKEY will become famous soon enough
Name: shane
SCLOSKEY's Tacoma Gallery
on aftermarket wheels, my 285s needed wheel spacers, trimming, and no mud flaps due to rubbing
Old 12-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #10
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCLOSKEY View Post
on aftermarket wheels, my 285s needed wheel spacers, trimming, and no mud flaps due to rubbing
What was the backspacing of your aftermarket wheels?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
bullock is on a distinguished road
bullock's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. It seems that anyone who runs the 285-70-17's are using wheel spacers or after market wheels with different back spacing. I figured the 275-70-17's would be my best best as I drive alot on gravel roads and want the front flaps to try and save the body chips.

So no one has tried the 285-70-17's on stock rims with out spacers and kept the front flaps?
I have 285/70/17 on stock rims and I dont have a problem with rubbing on the mud flaps.... but there is rubbing on the upper A-arm. So spacers or different rims are soon to come.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
nbriseno is on a distinguished road
Name: NBToyo2008
nbriseno's Tacoma Gallery
Need spacer specs

What spacers are you using to fit the 285's on the stock wheels?
Any suggestions?

I just ordered the 3 inch lift kit, and I was told by the business owner that the 3 inch lift would allow for the 285's without issues. But based on all the experiences shared here, I still want the lift, I still want the stock wheels, and I still want the 285's.
If spacers are needed, so be it. What are the specs on the spacers?
Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
I have 285/70/17s on stock rims with spacers. It only rubs the mudflaps when turning in reverse. It has never rubbed while going forward in any direction.

The rubbing isn't even that serious. It sounds like rubber against rubber. Doesn't hurt the tire
Old 03-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbriseno View Post
What spacers are you using to fit the 285's on the stock wheels?
Any suggestions?

I just ordered the 3 inch lift kit, and I was told by the business owner that the 3 inch lift would allow for the 285's without issues. But based on all the experiences shared here, I still want the lift, I still want the stock wheels, and I still want the 285's.
If spacers are needed, so be it. What are the specs on the spacers?
I think most folks use the spidertrax wheel spacers.

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/st05uptacospacers.htm
Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #15
nbriseno is on a distinguished road
Name: NBToyo2008
nbriseno's Tacoma Gallery
Spidertrax it is

So I guess the spidertrax spacers are the ones to go with. thank you for the input.
That red pick-up looks nice with the 285's. I don't want to chuck the stock wheels just yet, as they still look close to new. I'll take the extra $200 plunge on the two sets of spacers, just to keep all the wheels evenly aligned.

On another topic, anyone have any whereabouts on enhancing the computer, to truly squeeze the ponies out of this 24 valve engine? 236HP just doesn't seem quite right. Any thoughts?
Old 03-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
2k6750 is on a distinguished road

2k6750's Tacoma Gallery
I'm planning on running the BBS RD's off the FJ. It's a 17 with 4.75 backspacing and +5 offset. I want to run 285's and don't want to trim my cab mounts. Anyone have any input? I've got a 3" coilover lift and Light Racing UCA's.