1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Worth upgrading 16" steelies to 16" aluminum?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Polymerhead, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Limited Inferno...Tundra!
    I have the 16" steelies right now, and will eventually be upgrading at least the tires. I have a chance to get a set of 16" factory aluminum wheels for maybe $150. Would it be worth $150 to switch out the wheels? I like the 16" aluminum size and I'm thinking that the aluminum wheels will offset the extra weight of bigger tires when I upgrade. I also think the aluminums look a little better painted black than the steelies do, which is something I'm thinking about doing.

So, does anyone think this is worth doing, or am I just wasting $150 ($200 probably, after getting my tires mounted)?

Pros:
    • Lighter weight
    • Look better
    • Will work with my dunflops until I get better tires
    Cons:
    • Still not aftermarket wheels
    • TPMS issue - will need to do the air chamber mod with my steel wheels
    Any other thoughts?

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:19 AM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Hmm, meant to put this in the wheels and tires room - mods feel free to move. Thanks.

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM
    Dibblit

Dibblit Eh?

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Stony Plain
    Vehicle:
    Truck
    Icon Suspension ARB OBA
    Go with the Aluminum

4. Dec 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM
    paidfor

paidfor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR 4x4
    Hidden GPS tracking system. Backflip cover, weather techs, bed mat, tailgate lock, OME 885 springs, blistein shocks, 2.5 in AAL/
    I switched from steel to alum. and never looked back. The alum. wheels look much better on the tacoma than the plain steel. And they are lighter.

5. Dec 26, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    Bodete

Bodete Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Were you able to use the same TPMS sensors from the steel wheels to the aluminum wheels?

6. Dec 26, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    Jere

Jere Outdoorsman

Member:
    Northern Chester County, PA
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport MGM with ARE Cap
    I switched from 16" steel to 16" Alloy from an OR whose owner went after-market after a lift. I am very happy with the look now, though it is certainly not unique. You have a good pro/con list.

My experience, I was not able to use the steel TPMS on my Alloy wheels, didn't even try. I sold my steel wheels, with TPMS and lug nuts on CL, and bought the Alloy wheels with their TPMS there too. My net cost was about $200, and I got an extra set of tires because I sold my wheels without the tires, and bought my new wheels with a half used set of tires.

My dealer charged me $49 to reprogram my TPMS ECU to the new codes of my alloy wheels. I drove with the light on till I needed a dealer service.

One more thing to think about, you will need lugnuts designed for the alloy wheels, the ones for your steel wheels will not work. If you end up having to buy them, it gets a little expensive. My dealer wanted $2.50 each, and you need 24 of them. Local auto parts stores did not have 24 in stock, and they were not all that much cheaper. If you are getting alloys for $150, see if you can get the lug nuts and the TPMS that go with them thrown in. Otherwise, you will be looking at spending more on the lug nuts, mount and balance, TPMS correction than the wheels cost.

7. Dec 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    If i was going to pay money for different wheels, wouldn't want stock aluminum.

Understand its a good deal, but by the time you pay for mounting, lug nuts, TPMS

You have some spent some cash.

I was looking to upgrade wheels myself, but when looking at the TPMS issues

i went the route of painting my stock steelies.

They turned out so good, i forgot about getting new wheels

and once i put on my duratracs, that was it - Done!

8. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:01 PM
    J Mill

J Mill Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Racine, Wi
    Vehicle:
    2011 SR5 DC LB
    Only issues I've had with the alloys is corrosion. Salted roads by me tear them up. It wasn't a year before the salt got to them and a power washer would blow the paint off.

9. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Polymerhead

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the input. I would probably make an air chamber for my steelie sensors and bypass the TPMS function. $150 would include lug nuts as well. I love your steelies but I also know the common conception is that more weight in teh wheel/tire is bad. I assume you haven't seen a decrease in performance/feel with the bigger tires and steel wheels?

10. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:14 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    I shaved 12 pounds each switching to my DC2s and noticed about 1.5 mpg increase. 32 down to 20lbs. Then I finally ditched 245 HTs for 265 Duratracs and killed my mpgs.

Products Discussed in

To Top