Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Worth upgrading 16" steelies to 16" aluminum?

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Worth upgrading 16" steelies to 16" aluminum?

I have the 16" steelies right now, and will eventually be upgrading at least the tires. I have a chance to get a set of 16" factory aluminum wheels for maybe $150. Would it be worth $150 to switch out the wheels? I like the 16" aluminum size and I'm thinking that the aluminum wheels will offset the extra weight of bigger tires when I upgrade. I also think the aluminums look a little better painted black than the steelies do, which is something I'm thinking about doing.

So, does anyone think this is worth doing, or am I just wasting $150 ($200 probably, after getting my tires mounted)?

Pros:
  • Lighter weight
  • Look better
  • Will work with my dunflops until I get better tires
Cons:
  • Still not aftermarket wheels
  • TPMS issue - will need to do the air chamber mod with my steel wheels
Any other thoughts?
Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hmm, meant to put this in the wheels and tires room - mods feel free to move. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Eh?
Dibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shedDibblit is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
Dibblit's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the Aluminum
Old 12-26-2010, 12:36 PM   #4
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough

Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
I switched from steel to alum. and never looked back. The alum. wheels look much better on the tacoma than the plain steel. And they are lighter.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Bodete is on a distinguished road
Bodete's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paidfor View Post
I switched from steel to alum. and never looked back. The alum. wheels look much better on the tacoma than the plain steel. And they are lighter.
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Were you able to use the same TPMS sensors from the steel wheels to the aluminum wheels?
Old 12-26-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
I did it

I switched from 16" steel to 16" Alloy from an OR whose owner went after-market after a lift. I am very happy with the look now, though it is certainly not unique. You have a good pro/con list.

My experience, I was not able to use the steel TPMS on my Alloy wheels, didn't even try. I sold my steel wheels, with TPMS and lug nuts on CL, and bought the Alloy wheels with their TPMS there too. My net cost was about $200, and I got an extra set of tires because I sold my wheels without the tires, and bought my new wheels with a half used set of tires.

My dealer charged me $49 to reprogram my TPMS ECU to the new codes of my alloy wheels. I drove with the light on till I needed a dealer service.

One more thing to think about, you will need lugnuts designed for the alloy wheels, the ones for your steel wheels will not work. If you end up having to buy them, it gets a little expensive. My dealer wanted $2.50 each, and you need 24 of them. Local auto parts stores did not have 24 in stock, and they were not all that much cheaper. If you are getting alloys for $150, see if you can get the lug nuts and the TPMS that go with them thrown in. Otherwise, you will be looking at spending more on the lug nuts, mount and balance, TPMS correction than the wheels cost.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
If i was going to pay money for different wheels, wouldn't want stock aluminum.

Understand its a good deal, but by the time you pay for mounting, lug nuts, TPMS

You have some spent some cash.

I was looking to upgrade wheels myself, but when looking at the TPMS issues

i went the route of painting my stock steelies.

They turned out so good, i forgot about getting new wheels

and once i put on my duratracs, that was it - Done!
Old 12-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
J Mill has a spectacular aura aboutJ Mill has a spectacular aura about
Name: John
J Mill's Tacoma Gallery
Only issues I've had with the alloys is corrosion. Salted roads by me tear them up. It wasn't a year before the salt got to them and a power washer would blow the paint off.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
If i was going to pay money for different wheels, wouldn't want stock aluminum.

Understand its a good deal, but by the time you pay for mounting, lug nuts, TPMS

You have some spent some cash.

I was looking to upgrade wheels myself, but when looking at the TPMS issues

i went the route of painting my stock steelies.

They turned out so good, i forgot about getting new wheels

and once i put on my duratracs, that was it - Done!
Thanks for the input. I would probably make an air chamber for my steelie sensors and bypass the TPMS function. $150 would include lug nuts as well. I love your steelies but I also know the common conception is that more weight in teh wheel/tire is bad. I assume you haven't seen a decrease in performance/feel with the bigger tires and steel wheels?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
I shaved 12 pounds each switching to my DC2s and noticed about 1.5 mpg increase. 32 down to 20lbs. Then I finally ditched 245 HTs for 265 Duratracs and killed my mpgs.