1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Lock/Unlock "Beep" with Viper Remote Start

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jreays, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:07 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    Hello everyone,
    I have been searching the forums for hours now so don't think I haven't tried. I just bought a Viper 5301 remote start. After reading the manual it appears that when the doors lock and unlock the horn sounds. I would like to use the same beep that you hear with the factory remote. Any ideas? One other thing that I haven't been able to find was pictures of a finished remote start install. Just curious if anyone has seen some pics! Thank you all and Happy Holidays!

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    '19 Barcelona Red DCSB TRD OR
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    I just had the same unit professionally installed last week. The tech didn't hook the horn up to the lock/unlock function, but I will probably go back and have him hook it up to the existing piezo speaker (wherever that is). I did notice in the instructions that if you press the remote's function button before lock/unlock, it's supposed to work silently.

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:26 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    I have this system and found that if you push the "AUX" button before you push the LOCK you will hear a single beep, If you do the same before you push the UNLOCK you get a double beep. I don't know if this is the same for you but that's how mine works.

4. Dec 27, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    @TerryS - Awesome, How do you like it? I am very curious where the wire for the piezo is. I also wonder if we can connect it directly to the horn output of the 5301. What bypass module did you use? I just bought the Fortin Key-Override-SL2. I liked that I didn't have to put a key in it.

5. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Roof rack, step boards, window visors, hood protector, tonneau cover, bed extender & small lift kit.
    I'm liking it so far, but I'll have to read more of the manual to get comfortable with it. I've had 2 other Viper remotes with more basic functions and was satisfied with them. I bought the 5301 for the 2-way functions. In fact, I bought a second 2-way remote and sold the 1-way remote back to the installer. The data bypass I bought is an Expresskit X5-05 that doesn't require a key.

I don't see any reason why the piezo can't take the place of the horn. I have no idea where it's located though. On my old Tundra, it was located under the hood on the left fender. Open your hood and press your the unlock button on your OEM remote - you should be able to find it.

Nick54: I checked the manual and find that the function + lock/unlock is the correct way to open or lock silently. Perhaps you have an older unit. My Aux button is useless.

6. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:19 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    You can def hook up the viper to your horn. There is a program function on the duration of the beep. Just check the different settings and see which one you like. The horn wire coming off of the viper is brown. The horn wire in your truck is located at the fuse box under the dash. It is a green wire with a red trace.

7. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Daudio, the question of the day is whether the piezo speaker can take the place of the horn. Can you tell us the location of the peizo and/or the color of the wire for that speaker?

8. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    ^For the factory horn or the aftermarket siren?

9. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    for the little piezo beeper that the OEM remote now uses when locking or unlocking.

10. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Not really sure about that, I have never hooked has anyone want that hooked up. There is nothing about it on the wiring schematic I have. You could pop the hood and lock/unlock until you hear it, then wire it to that. As long as you can find it I'm sure you can hook the horn wire up to it. It is a very low voltage output on that wire. If I get a call for a 2nd gen tacoma anytime soon I will go through it and find it for you.

11. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    Many thanks!

12. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    That would be great! I wonder if the piezo is 12volt?

13. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
    It's not an alarm, it's a remote starter.

14. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:04 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    I'm sure it is, I can't imagine they would use something else, but I have seen stranger things.

15. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    The alarm/remote start systems have a wire for each. There is an output for the siren and the horn so it would work. You can set it to only use the siren when it goes off and use the horn for keyless entry.

16. Dec 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Oh, I hear you. Yea having the horn hooked up also doesn't hurt, but you can do both and just play with the settings how you like them. Like if you wanted to just use the horn on keyless and still for it to honk if the alarm goes off you can. I just always hook up both wires either way, that way you have a choice and can change it quickly if you want. The mini peizo sirens for inside are great too. They're so loud and high pitched that it's hard to sit in the truck if you were trying to steal it. Much cheaper then train horns too.

17. Dec 28, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    mh3kgt

mh3kgt -TACOMBO-

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Elko, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport
    OME 885's, OME Nitros front, Billy 5100's rear, 1.5"AAL, Satoshi'd Billet Grille, 18" Moto Metal 955's Plastidipped, more to come
    I wish I could figure out how to get the lock/unlock beep on my remote start to work as well. Mine is the Viper 160xvl

18. Dec 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Hopefully I can find someone who wants to get something installed in their 2nd gen soon and I can make them a guinea pig. If I can get someone to let me go through their truck to find it I will post location and wiring information.

19. Dec 28, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    TerryS

TerryS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Terry
    Cape Cod, Mass.
    Vehicle:
  20. Dec 28, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5

Products Discussed in

To Top