Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Something Burning Smell Whever i get out of truck.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
JEA86 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeremy
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Something Burning Smell Whever i get out of truck.

There is a smell whenever i get out of the truck it smells like something is getting hot, I poped the hood smells like its coming from there not sure what it could be as nothing looks burnt!

Only Mods i have on the Truck is TRD suspension and TRD wheels and TRD Skid Plate

its a 2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4 Cyl. 5 Speed

any ideas?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Take it to the dealer. Is it possible you have a plastic bag that got stuck to something when you were driving?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
could be the clutch. a bunch of us with the 4 cylinder, 5 spd are having issues where it seems like the clutch is wearing. Dealer couldn't comfirm it for mine. Every once in a while when I get out of the truck, I smell it. Not a matter of not being able to drive a stick cause most of us have driven stick for a long time before this truck.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
well i notice it mainly after i have used 4wd. i never go over 55 MPH in 4wd so idk its just started since this winter weather has hit
Old 12-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
could be the clutch. a bunch of us with the 4 cylinder, 5 spd are having issues where it seems like the clutch is wearing. Dealer couldn't comfirm it for mine. Every once in a while when I get out of the truck, I smell it. Not a matter of not being able to drive a stick cause most of us have driven stick for a long time before this truck.

see thats what it "kinda" smells like, but i was like Nah no way i have been driving a clutch for years and i dont ride the clutch or anything

truck has 13k miles
Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Yea that was my first thought (I've been driving tractor-trailers since I was 18, my normal rig has a 10 speed trans). Mine has 6,200 miles on it. It's something to do with the pressure plate failing. If you do a quick search on it, you'll find some posts about it. I understand one member had his clutch fully replaced. I know of at least another member in NJ that's having the same problem as me and just trying to get the dealer to confirm the problem exists. Because mines not slipping, the dealer says it's fine. My concern is that when I get up to 30k miles, it's gonna be fried and then they'll say it's a wear and tear item. I would take it to them and tell them you smell the clutch burning. At least get it on record that you brought the problem to their attention. Also, don't let them try and swindle you for a diagnostic fee. I rose holy hell when they tried that with me and they waived it and gave me a loaner car for free.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #7
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
I would take it to them and tell them you smell the clutch burning. At least get it on record that you brought the problem to their attention. Also, don't let them try and swindle you for a diagnostic fee. I rose holy hell when they tried that with me and they waived it and gave me a loaner car for free.
X2,,no fees,,under warranty still.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
My first thought based on where you live is that you're running it in 4wd in the snow. If it's after this that you're smelling a "burnt rubber" smell, then it's completely normal for all 4wd vehicles in the snow regardless of make. Mine finally quit smelling after about 5 winters. BTW, google it and you'll see threads going back for years on all makes/models that are 4wd. No one has ever come up with a good explanation, but those of us living/driving in snow over the years know it's normal.

Now if you're not driving in 4wd in the snow and it smells, then get it checked. Or if you're still not sure, get it checked since it won't cost you anything.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Moose View Post
My first thought based on where you live is that you're running it in 4wd in the snow. If it's after this that you're smelling a "burnt rubber" smell, then it's completely normal for all 4wd vehicles in the snow regardless of make. Mine finally quit smelling after about 5 winters. BTW, google it and you'll see threads going back for years on all makes/models that are 4wd. No one has ever come up with a good explanation, but those of us living/driving in snow over the years know it's normal.

Now if you're not driving in 4wd in the snow and it smells, then get it checked. Or if you're still not sure, get it checked since it won't cost you anything.
^^^^ this . I have experienced the same thing OP .
Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

yeah the smell started just this winter and whenever it snows!

so i guess its just not me
Old 12-27-2010, 01:56 PM   #11
claw is on a distinguished road
Name: Cam
claw's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering if it happened to be the traction control doing braking on wheels as necessary. Don't know if that is correct but it was just my thought...
Old 12-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

+1
Old 12-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
mustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of lightmustangwilly is a glorious beacon of light
mustangwilly's Tacoma Gallery
My guess is grease from the u joints on the 4wd drive shaft is flinging onto the exhaust . Thats why u only smell it after using 4wd.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #14
UrbanAngler is on a distinguished road

UrbanAngler's Tacoma Gallery
Last winter when using 4WD to get up to the ski slopes, I smelled the burning rubber thing. I continued to smell it every time I used 4WD. Last winter the dealer confirmed that nothing was wrong with the truck.

This winter, I smelled the burnin rubber just last week while usiing 4WD going to the slopes, It was the first time I smelled it since last winter.

After reading some of these replies, I guess it is normal, Thanks, for the peace of mind next time I go Snowboarding.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #15
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I had had the same smell a couple times but had not looked into it yet. Just starting using 4X4 in the snow recently.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #16
JEA86's Tacoma Gallery
yeah only in the snow && hey Pat-13 i see your from WV too how is the weather up north?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #17
Hillbilly 4X4
Pat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to allPat 13 is a name known to all

Pat 13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEA86 View Post
yeah only in the snow && hey Pat-13 i see your from WV too how is the weather up north?
Cold and windy...no snow
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #18
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe backing up against a heavy drift or pile,,and forcing the mudflap onto the tire as you move backwards. (rubbing)

A wild shot in the dark.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #19
10taco is on a distinguished road
Army: C Co 1/75 Ranger '87-'89
10taco's Tacoma Gallery
Wink It's grease on the exhaust system

I have the same issue on my '10 Tacoma 4WD reg cab 4 CYL man trans. I had the same thing on my '95 4WD reg cab 4 CYL man trans. Grease from the driveshaft(s) are 'flinging' onto hot exhaust components and you smell it burning upon exiting the truck after a drive. Not to worry!
Old 02-05-2014, 06:32 PM   #20
kool is on a distinguished road
kool's Tacoma Gallery
i have a 2013 (6-speed manual) that makes that burning/rancid smell when backing up in 4x4
i'm glad to see that i'm not the only one with this issue
kool