Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tailgate Padlock

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
Tailgate Padlock

Just got a 2011 Silver Streak Mica. Traded in my 2010 MGM. The Toyota dealer I got this from installed these tailgate padlocks on their trucks as they have had several tailgates stolen from their lot. Bad news is they charged me $100.00 for it! Don't know what it costs otherwise, but thought some of you might be interested.

Have to remove the right side of the tailgate to get the loop off, but it was very easy to do.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I like that. Too bad I just bought McGard tailgate lock. Is there a brand on it?
Old 12-27-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
That is nice but $100? Wow that is steep for a cheap padlock. A hose clamp basically does the same thing. Granted this one locks, but the hose clamp is a great deterrent.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
The Stroker Ace
hendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedhendooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
hendooman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
That's pretty cool.

Looks like we can score them for $18 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hidd.../dp/B003KPQWEA
How come no one has found this before...or have I been under a rock. I am rocking the hose clamp.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
RogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant futureRogueLeader has a brilliant future

Air Force: Aircraft Armament Tech
Name: Rod
RogueLeader's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you were able to find them on Amazon. That's a reasonable price as well. Just wish Toyota hadn't ripped me off for $80.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea but, it's an overpriced thing they shoulda just gave you. That lock and them having a complete truck on their lot is their price of doing business and cheapin out on not having a security guard to watch their lot makes it worse. Hose clamps, popnlock and the cable hanger mod give triple protection on mine. The garage works best. Props on the post tho.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I ordered this over the weekend:

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-76029-T...3481387&sr=1-1

It is a glorified hose clamp but it is better than the crappy regular hose clamp I have now. I kinda wish I would have searched before I bought it because I like the padlock better.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #8
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krookz View Post
That's pretty cool.

Looks like we can score them for $18 on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Hidd.../dp/B003KPQWEA
Just ordered one! $22.16 w/shipping
Old 12-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
It's a bully tailgate lock ... Got one a while back I mentioned it guess nobody payed attention I got mine off of eBay $18 bucks free shipping
Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
ride BMX!
littledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shedlittledvl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
littledvl's Tacoma Gallery
Just picked one up one on ebay for $19.99 shipped.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaCoULuV2Hate View Post
It's a bully tailgate lock ... Got one a while back I mentioned it guess nobody payed attention I got mine off of eBay $18 bucks free shipping

I'm with you. I mentioned the lock in 2 or 3 different 'tailgate theft protection' threads but nobody ever wanted to talk about them. Maybe a product review would have been better, but I didn't feel it would add anything - it's just a padlock for your tailgate. I like it much better than the hose clamp mod because I've had to remove my tailgate for heavy items before and I can unlock the padlock in seconds. Wrapped the loop in electrical tape to prevent any minor scratches.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #13
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I didn't do the electrical tape mod should of (it scratched ) it gives me some security because I know they will looking for tailgates with cameras Great product and so far my tailgate still on

If it helps they have a video on YouTube search (bully tailgate lock )
Old 12-27-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
pcool69 is on a distinguished road

pcool69's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I ordered this over the weekend:

http://www.amazon.com/McGard-76029-T...3481387&sr=1-1

It is a glorified hose clamp but it is better than the crappy regular hose clamp I have now. I kinda wish I would have searched before I bought it because I like the padlock better.
McGards' website does not list the Tacoma in its fit guide. Probably just an oversight. When you receive it, let us know if it fits.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 PM   #15
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcool69 View Post
McGards' website does not list the Tacoma in its fit guide. Probably just an oversight. When you receive it, let us know if it fits.
The guy that brought this product to my attention figures it will fit because you can adjust the length of the rubber portion. Also the part number is the same for all the trucks listed.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #16
steve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve103 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steve
steve103's Tacoma Gallery
hose clamp for 2dollars is the way to go. sorry to say this.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve103 View Post
Until someone with an electric drill comes over and zips the clamp off.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:01 PM   #18
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve103 View Post
For a true thief, he is already prepared for the hose clamp.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #19

Whats The mcgard made of looks like cheap plastic and rubber ..
Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #20
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Its stainless steel (clamp) and polycarbonate (cover)

so not to scratch the paint and prevent rust.

The key is the same design as their wheel locks

which means each key is unique

and will only work with your lock.

Seeing this company secures eveything from wheels, to oil lines, fire hydraunts, gas meters, etc

I would assume its of the highest quality and design

Products Discussed in this Thread