Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

front differential side bearing replacement.. done!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #221
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETaco23 View Post
thats stupid! did you ask them then why does it go away in 4wd?
Tech said he feels vibrations no matter what speed. It was the same tech they sent me with to test the blower motor. He couldnt hear it chirping. He admitted he had pretty bad hearing damage. Winners...
Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #222
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/29
Redgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedgrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brent
Redgrom's Tacoma Gallery
Any update from East Coast Gear? Any one care to guess what the labor would be to install? I am afraid this repair is past my skill set....
Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #223
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
anyone have any tips on installing the driveside axle seal? have troubles like it doesnt want to fit. do you have to seat the seal inside the diff or does the axle seal sit on the outside of the front diff?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #224
KColoTaco will become famous soon enough

Name: Kevin
KColoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to KColoTaco
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLift37 View Post
anyone have any tips on installing the driveside axle seal? have troubles like it doesnt want to fit. do you have to seat the seal inside the diff or does the axle seal sit on the outside of the front diff?

I am not exactly sure you are talking about the seal just outside the needle beaing location. If so I recommend using the old seal if its not totally trashed and a piece of 2x4 to drive the new on in. The seal is the same diameter so creats eaqual force.

You can use just a piece of wood but make sure the wood touches all the way around the seal. It is a rather tight fit, if this is the first time you have worked with oil seals.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #225
Bangers Runner
GotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGotLift37 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
GotLift37's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard of guys just putting the seal on the axle and jaming it in there so to say... not jamming it just using that as a word
Old 03-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #226
timg4292 is on a distinguished road
timg4292's Tacoma Gallery
2010 Tacoma Front end growling noise is fixed........

I just finished replacing my left front diff bearing in my 2010 Tacoma to fix a growling noise that appeared when I installed my 3" Toytec lift. It took about an hour to do the entire job. I got the bearing from East Coast Gear Supply.
Problem fixed
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #227
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
The bushing from east coast gear supply is available now. It will replace the needle bearing, which will just go out again. I will be ordering soon bc i think my new bearing is starting go bad after about 7k miles. that was on my 07 taco..
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #228
Real TRDarded
TRDard is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
TRDard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg4292 View Post
I just finished replacing my left front diff bearing in my 2010 Tacoma to fix a growling noise that appeared when I installed my 3" Toytec lift. It took about an hour to do the entire job. I got the bearing from East Coast Gear Supply.
Problem fixed
sweet! did you buy the tool to remove bearing/install the bushing? or make your own? I'm a cheap bastard, want to borrow yours
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 PM   #229
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Im wondering the people that got there bearing replaced, like me. How long does it usually take before the bearing starts to fail again and make noise?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #230
ihopss is on a distinguished road
ihopss's Tacoma Gallery
I took a chisel and put it between the CV and differential(on the side) and hammered it between the two
until it released the axle,that was all I had
Old 06-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #231
Sick of it all is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
Sick of it all's Tacoma Gallery
Hello everyone. I'm a new member to your forums.

I have also completed the drivers side front differential needle bearing replacement. I replaced the needle bearing with the PTFE bushing from East Coast Gear Supply. It removed the growl so far. I had 82,000 km on my completely dealer serviced 2007 Tacoma.

The job was relatively easy. I have never attempted anything like this before and I would like to thank everyone who made a post with photos. They helped me with the confidence required to take on this job.

I didn't see anything obvious with the removed bearings. I did notice wear marks on the CV axle that indicated something was wrong.

I found the easy way to check for this problem was that the Tulip portion of the drivers axle was on a slight downward angle. I raised the front of the truck and spinned the wheel and could hear a light clicking noise. I would then wedge a pry bar under the metal portion of the CV axle to raise the Tulip portion of the axle and spin the wheel again.....The clicking would subside. This will scratch your CV a little, but takes the gravity load off of the needle bearing.

I can post pictures showing the difference between the needle bearing and PTFE bushing if you like. The bushing is slightly longer and would seem to offer more support.

Thanks everyone!
Mike.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #232
alpinebob is on a distinguished road
Navy: AD
Name: bob
alpinebob's Tacoma Gallery
Front Diff. Vibes

Just a question from a rank amatuer. It may be that I did not notice any vibrations until shortly after I failed to take the truck out of 4Wd when I got back on to pavement. I accelerated to 55 MPH and drove for about 10 miles before I saw the icon , slowed to 40 and switched to 2Wd.
I get most vib at 45 - 50 Mph but some at 65-70 and 35-40 Mph.

Great site, great info !

alpinebob
Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #233
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
Sick of it all,

welcome to the board. Pls post those pics of your repair. It will be a great addition to the board.

Again, welcome.

Cheers!
Old 02-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #234
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
Sick of it all,

welcome to the board. Pls post those pics of your repair. It will be a great addition to the board.

Again, welcome.

Cheers!
8 month old post dude.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #235
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
I know that dude! Still, the goddamn issue persists. I've been away for at least 8 months.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #236
tr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtr1957 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tr1957's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick of it all View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a new member to your forums.

I have also completed the drivers side front differential needle bearing replacement. I replaced the needle bearing with the PTFE bushing from East Coast Gear Supply. It removed the growl so far. I had 82,000 km on my completely dealer serviced 2007 Tacoma.

The job was relatively easy. I have never attempted anything like this before and I would like to thank everyone who made a post with photos. They helped me with the confidence required to take on this job.

I didn't see anything obvious with the removed bearings. I did notice wear marks on the CV axle that indicated something was wrong.

I found the easy way to check for this problem was that the Tulip portion of the drivers axle was on a slight downward angle. I raised the front of the truck and spinned the wheel and could hear a light clicking noise. I would then wedge a pry bar under the metal portion of the CV axle to raise the Tulip portion of the axle and spin the wheel again.....The clicking would subside. This will scratch your CV a little, but takes the gravity load off of the needle bearing.

I can post pictures showing the difference between the needle bearing and PTFE bushing if you like. The bushing is slightly longer and would seem to offer more support.

Thanks everyone!
Mike.
Did you replace the CV axle ?
I have the same issue and can feel some slight indentations on part of the axle,I have not decided to change the cv axle or just the bushing.
Attached Thumbnails
front differential side bearing replacement.. done!-2013-06-22-19.49.15.jpg  
Old 09-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #237
youngblood is on a distinguished road
youngblood's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota should eat a big one on this. My Highlander Hybrid is also ready for trade in as I've OD'd on Toyotas at this point.

The issue is one of tolerances. There is too much slop in this underspec'd needle bearing. Lifting it just exacerbates this weakness that is all.

My CV rumble used to go away when I put it in 4w-HI as well but that lasted maybe a year after lifting the truck 2.5". The axle was very loose and had similar wear patterns as seen above (minus the needle marks). If you notice this is two bands on the outside of where the wimpy needle bearings would wear given the slop in the stock setup.

Slipping the bronze bushing on the CV axle (East Coast Gear Supply part page) there is certainly a little play (normal) but nowhere close to the slop that was there before.

Does anyone know what the CV axle bearing surface diameter (mm) should be?

The bushing, OEM seal, removal and install toolset are $180.

Looking forward to getting her back together this week.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:02 AM   #238
alpinebob is on a distinguished road
Navy: AD
Name: bob
alpinebob's Tacoma Gallery
Smile alpinebob

I am wondering what size 3 jaw puller will fit into the differential housing/extension ? I have several but none that small??

Thanks for the info,

bob
Old 10-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #239
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebob View Post
I am wondering what size 3 jaw puller will fit into the differential housing/extension ? I have several but none that small??

Thanks for the info,

bob
Some were able to use a pilot bearing removal tool.

Products Discussed in this Thread