1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

front differential side bearing replacement.. done!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Metallikatz3, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Mar 14, 2012 at 10:17 AM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    anyone have any tips on installing the driveside axle seal? have troubles like it doesnt want to fit. do you have to seat the seal inside the diff or does the axle seal sit on the outside of the front diff?

2. Mar 14, 2012 at 2:30 PM
    KColoTaco

KColoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    N. Colorado
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD O/R DC
    3 inch OME complete lift, Light racing UCA's, Bed comp. locks.

I am not exactly sure you are talking about the seal just outside the needle beaing location. If so I recommend using the old seal if its not totally trashed and a piece of 2x4 to drive the new on in. The seal is the same diameter so creats eaqual force.

You can use just a piece of wood but make sure the wood touches all the way around the seal. It is a rather tight fit, if this is the first time you have worked with oil seals.

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM
    GotLift37

GotLift37 Bangers Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    North East AL
    Vehicle:
    07 4Runner 4WD
    2.5" front lift (leeper coilover) 1" body 16" Dick Cepek DC1 Black/polished 295/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Tinted Taillights 5% tint OEM Acura TSX HID Retrofit White LED dash light conversion WMW roof rack
    I have heard of guys just putting the seal on the axle and jaming it in there so to say... not jamming it just using that as a word

4. Mar 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM
    timg4292

timg4292 Member

Member:
    ohio
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    I just finished replacing my left front diff bearing in my 2010 Tacoma to fix a growling noise that appeared when I installed my 3" Toytec lift. It took about an hour to do the entire job. I got the bearing from East Coast Gear Supply.
    Problem fixed

5. Mar 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    The bushing from east coast gear supply is available now. It will replace the needle bearing, which will just go out again. I will be ordering soon bc i think my new bearing is starting go bad after about 7k miles. that was on my 07 taco..:)

6. Mar 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM
    TRDard

TRDard Real TRDarded

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Seattle
    Satoshi Grill ToyTec 3" lift Blacked out headlights LED Tails Jensen Headunit, DVD, GPS, Rear Cam Brembo rotors Hawk Pads Stainless lines
    sweet! did you buy the tool to remove bearing/install the bushing? or make your own? I'm a cheap bastard, want to borrow yours :D

7. Mar 31, 2012 at 11:44 PM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    Im wondering the people that got there bearing replaced, like me. How long does it usually take before the bearing starts to fail again and make noise?

8. Apr 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    ihopss

ihopss New Member

Member:
    East Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    I took a chisel and put it between the CV and differential(on the side) and hammered it between the two
    until it released the axle,that was all I had

9. Jun 16, 2012 at 9:45 AM
    Sick of it all

Sick of it all New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport
    Stock
    Hello everyone. I'm a new member to your forums.

I have also completed the drivers side front differential needle bearing replacement. I replaced the needle bearing with the PTFE bushing from East Coast Gear Supply. It removed the growl so far. I had 82,000 km on my completely dealer serviced 2007 Tacoma.

The job was relatively easy. I have never attempted anything like this before and I would like to thank everyone who made a post with photos. They helped me with the confidence required to take on this job.

I didn't see anything obvious with the removed bearings. I did notice wear marks on the CV axle that indicated something was wrong.

I found the easy way to check for this problem was that the Tulip portion of the drivers axle was on a slight downward angle. I raised the front of the truck and spinned the wheel and could hear a light clicking noise. I would then wedge a pry bar under the metal portion of the CV axle to raise the Tulip portion of the axle and spin the wheel again.....The clicking would subside. This will scratch your CV a little, but takes the gravity load off of the needle bearing.

I can post pictures showing the difference between the needle bearing and PTFE bushing if you like. The bushing is slightly longer and would seem to offer more support.

Thanks everyone!
    Mike.

10. Feb 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    alpinebob

alpinebob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    alpine ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    Just a question from a rank amatuer. It may be that I did not notice any vibrations until shortly after I failed to take the truck out of 4Wd when I got back on to pavement. I accelerated to 55 MPH and drove for about 10 miles before I saw the icon , slowed to 40 and switched to 2Wd.
    I get most vib at 45 - 50 Mph but some at 65-70 and 35-40 Mph.

Great site, great info !

alpinebob

11. Feb 17, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    Sick of it all,

welcome to the board. Pls post those pics of your repair. It will be a great addition to the board.

Again, welcome.

Cheers!

12. Feb 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    8 month old post dude.

13. Feb 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    romafern

romafern Hug diz nuts

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    80918 Let's meet!
    Vehicle:
    Paid for and saving a shit ton of $$$$$
    Thinking of adding a second battery...
    I know that dude! Still, the goddamn issue persists. I've been away for at least 8 months.

14. Jun 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    tr1957

tr1957 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 regular cab 4x4
    Did you replace the CV axle ?
    I have the same issue and can feel some slight indentations on part of the axle,I have not decided to change the cv axle or just the bushing.

2013-06-22 19.49.15.jpg

15. Sep 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    youngblood

youngblood Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chattanooga TN
    Vehicle:
    07 SR5 4x4 DC longggg bed
    None (yet)
    Toyota should eat a big one on this. My Highlander Hybrid is also ready for trade in as I've OD'd on Toyotas at this point.

The issue is one of tolerances. There is too much slop in this underspec'd needle bearing. Lifting it just exacerbates this weakness that is all.

My CV rumble used to go away when I put it in 4w-HI as well but that lasted maybe a year after lifting the truck 2.5". The axle was very loose and had similar wear patterns as seen above (minus the needle marks). If you notice this is two bands on the outside of where the wimpy needle bearings would wear given the slop in the stock setup.

Slipping the bronze bushing on the CV axle (East Coast Gear Supply part page) there is certainly a little play (normal) but nowhere close to the slop that was there before.

Does anyone know what the CV axle bearing surface diameter (mm) should be?

The bushing, OEM seal, removal and install toolset are $180.

Looking forward to getting her back together this week.

16. Oct 2, 2013 at 6:02 AM
    alpinebob

alpinebob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bob
    alpine ca
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma 4x4
    I am wondering what size 3 jaw puller will fit into the differential housing/extension ? I have several but none that small??

Thanks for the info,

bob

17. Oct 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    Some were able to use a pilot bearing removal tool.

18. Apr 8, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    Great thread, and thanks to everyone that have provided instructions. I am finally going to pull the trigger on the ECGS bushing.

Quick background ... 2005 4WD that gets the shudder on acceleration with the growling. I've gone back and forth between carrier bearing and the ECGS bushing as possible fixes. I did have a lot of noise and some vibration before the lift with 155k miiles on the truck. Post lift (now 158k miles) I replaced the wheel bearings via 05taco4x4's great product. That eliminated a TON of noise for me. Now I'm left with the shudder on acceleration and the growling, typically when letting off the gas around 30mph and a few other speed ranges. Both of these problems go away when I put the truck in 4WD ... which is pulling me towards ECGS as the solution. My wrenching skills are moderate at best including general maintenance, the suspension on this truck, and a few random repairs and additions ... and this TW resource has been invaluable.

Once I get this knocked out (hopefully the next 6 weeks) I'll send a recap.

mac84 likes this.
  19. Apr 8, 2020 at 12:08 PM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    You got this! I completed these steps in the reverse order from you - ECGS bushing first, then front wheel bearings. I did the bushing about a year ago, then the bearings a few months ago. I did both jobs by myself, but have access to a lift at work to make it easier. Having the right tools is key; these include ECGS’ special front diff bearing puller (or a homemade version) and a seal driver (or something similar that’s the correct size to install the new bushing). Truck is smooth & quiet now!

20. Apr 13, 2020 at 7:21 PM
    dk_crew

dk_crew Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4
    I finally got it done, but had a few hiccups (of course) along the way. 2005 double cab trd 4WD 150k miles.

The good:
    • TW is simply an awesome place to get invaluable information to have a bit of confidence that some of this stuff is actually doable. Thanks everyone that contributes and adds thoughts about what works for you.
    • If I get the opportunity to do this again I think it's going to be fairly straightforward.
    The bad:
    • My outer boot was torn on the CV ... so I picked up the highest end napa had and will be ordering a re-boot kit for the OEM ... and either run this if it continues to work well or swap it if I'm back in there and keep the napa just in case. My passenger side is OK from what I could tell
    • My tie rod boot is also torn -- and looking at the passenger side that one is torn also ... so I'm simply continuing to add to the list of fixed ... ha!
    Confused:
    • I didn't feel like the cv was pushed in far enough to the diff, but damn it wasn't going in any further. The gap was slightly bigger than the passenger side. I wasn't sure if it was NAPA vs OEM or if I needed another 1/4". Once I put the 35mm axle nut and tightened that everything felt really good. There's still a slightly larger gap than the passenger and I wish I would have taken a before picture. I'll probably take a pic now and post it to get thoughts, but the play in the inner housing next to the diff is very very slight, not any more than before the swap, so I think I'm in good shape.
    • It was tough getting the removal tool behind the needle bearing. I guess not tougher than others. I basically pushed one end back as far as I could and used a smaller socket to whack the upper portion until it eventually got behind the bearing. I didn't think this would be that hard and thought I was having to hammer it harder than I should. Once it got behind the bearing it was a piece of cake.

My basic steps (I think -- from memory) were ...
    1. chock the wheels and securely lift with jack stands -- I kept the passenger wheel on the ground to minimze diff oil since I had recently changed it.
    2. remove skid plate, sway bar, wheel, dust cap, axle nut, upper tie rod (loaner tie rod puller made it simple), remove 2 bolts for the lower ball joint attachment
    3. swing the brake out of the way and secure it -- it was easier for me secured up to the front
    4. pry the damn thing out -- this sucked. Ultimately, the vise grip around a long flathead (pic attached) allowed me to get the tip in and twist. Pry bars, tapping, pushing wasn't working. The damn thing wouldn't budge. I worked this around the diff at various points and it finally gave. This is the method I'd do next time and am interested to hear if anyone else does this and has success.
    5. pull the needle bearing and replace. I had it in the freezer and still felt like I had to whack the crap out of it to get it in. I put a socket over the driver handle with an extender so I could hit it from outside the LCA.
    6. Now the axle -- this wasn't too bad. It did take a bit to get started but I was able to use a pry bar and hammer against the ridges on the inside axle. I think the best was to strap the axle horizontal. Once I got it straight it went in.
    7. Reassemble and torque
      1. lower ball joint 2 bolts (118 ft lbs)
      2. tie rod (67 ft lbs) and cotter pin
      3. axle nut (173 ft lbs) and cotter pin
    8. refilled the oil I lost (I think 29 ft lbs for the fill plug)
    9. test drive --- feels good. Will drive a bit more locally in the AM and check for any leaks before adding the sway bar and skid plate

betterThanAPryBar.jpg

Micbt25 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top