Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

OBA question: Where did you mount the quick disconnect?

Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
gordynor is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
gordynor's Tacoma Gallery
OBA question: Where did you mount the quick disconnect?

I'm not ready to do a full OBA with a tank (etc), but I have mounted a Viair 400H under the hood and plan to use it primarily for tires. The only question I have now is where to run the line for the quick disconnect(s). I had originally planned to just pop the hood and connect the hose, but I realized that the hose would scratch the heck out of my front quarter panels after I've covered them with dirt/mud from a trail run. I'd like to have a QD in the front and one in the back, but need ideas on placement. I want it out of sight, located where the hose won't drag across the body and out of the way of as much dirt as possible.

On a side note, any ideas on covers for the QD's?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Kilo Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines 1st Marine Division
kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is now mounted on my rear bumper. I have a custom steel bumper and drilled a hole and used a bulkhead fitting to secure it. My hose is long enough to get to both tires on each side. Prior to getting the bumper I had the same set up on my hitch but was sometimes a pain to get to if the truck was covered in mud. Covering the fitting is a good idea to keep debris out of it. Never crossed my mind to do so, but a cheap cover would be a vacuum plug. You can get those at any parts store for less than 3 bucks. I'm at work right now so I'll post some pics when I get to the house.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo View Post
Mine is now mounted on my rear bumper. I have a custom steel bumper and drilled a hole and used bulkhead fitting to secure it. My hose is long enough to get to both tires on each side. Prior to getting the bumper I had the same set up on my hitch but was sometimes a pain to get to if the truck was covered in mud. Covering the fitting is a good idea to keep debris out of it. Never crossed my mind to do so, but a cheap cover would be a vacuum plug. You can get those at any parts store for less than 3 bucks. I'm at work right now so I'll post some pics when I get to the house.
Awesome - a pic would help. That sounds like what I'm thinking of. The reason for the QD up front is to help buddies air up, too.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
A perfectly-timed thread . Just about to tackle this myself.

Quote:
Mine is now mounted on my rear bumper. I have a custom steel bumper and drilled a hole and used bulkhead fitting to secure it. My hose is long enough to get to both tires on each side. Prior to getting the bumper I had the same set up on my hitch but was sometimes a pain to get to if the truck was covered in mud. Covering the fitting is a good idea to keep debris out of it. Never crossed my mind to do so, but a cheap cover would be a vacuum plug. You can get those at any parts store for less than 3 bucks. I'm at work right now so I'll post some pics when I get to the house.
Where did you get the bulkhead fitting from?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Solo Member
kilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shedkilo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordynor View Post
Awesome - a pic would help. That sounds like what I'm thinking of. The reason for the QD up front is to help buddies air up, too.
here is a pic of my old set up that I had in my profile. I'll get you some of the new set up in a couple of hours.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
A perfectly-timed thread . Just about to tackle this myself.

Where did you get the bulkhead fitting from?

I purchased my hose and fittings for all of this from a local hose supplier called STUART Hose and Pipe Company. You should be able to get them at Lowes or Home Depot. I know that they carry all sorts of brass fittings for this type of stuff and they should have the Bulkhead fitting as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I purchased my hose and fittings for all of this from a local hose supplier called STUART Hose and Pipe Company. You should be able to get them at Lowes or Home Depot. I know that they carry all sorts of brass fittings for this type of stuff and they should have the Bulkhead fitting as well.
Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Here is my fitting location.

And here is what a bulkhead fitting looks like.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:54 PM   #9
Quote:
Here is my fitting location.

And here is what a bulkhead fitting looks like.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Awesome - very helpful. Now if I can just find all of the parts... Home Depot & Lowes are not very well stocked on stuff like bulkheads. Even t-fittings are hard to find.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
TacoBaja is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: John
TacoBaja's Tacoma Gallery
For Kilo

What type of compressor do you use, and where is it mounted?

John
Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBaja View Post
What type of compressor do you use, and where is it mounted?

John
I have the VIAIR something? I don't remember the model. It's mounted under the hood next to the big fuse box thing.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #13
So far, I think I've decided to run a hose & QD to the tow hitch and mount it under the bed, out of direct sight (but within easy reach). I think I'll use a T fitting and run another line to the front though.

Has anyone run a hose & QD to the front? Got pics? Ideas for placement?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:13 AM   #14
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
Just saw this thread. Some places to score fittings/parts on the cheap are:
- Harbor Freight in the US (i got all the fittings and hose I needed from here). If you dont have a local store, you can order off their website.
- Princess Auto Parts in Canada.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
AKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to beholdAKTACO420 is a splendid one to behold

Name: RETODD
AKTACO420's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=kilo;2540466]Here is my fitting location.

[IMG]http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m92/kilo311/PC290266.jpg[/I

I like the bottle opener on the bumper great idea
Old 12-30-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTACO420 View Post
I like the bottle opener on the bumper great idea
Yeah, that's a real nice touch.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #18
TacoBaja is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: John
TacoBaja's Tacoma Gallery
Kilo - compressor mounting question

Ok Kilo, I like where it is, hadn't thought of that location. I have a 2006 and took a photo of the "empty space" - does my photo appear to be what you started with for space?

With a gauge, you must have a tank mounted somewhere as well??? How large of a tank?

My Viar is a 400p model, I'll dig it out in a day or two and see if I might squeeze it in the same location.

I appreciate the help.

John
Attached Thumbnails
OBA question: Where did you mount the quick disconnect?-left-fender-well-03.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #19
Quote:
Ok Kilo, I like where it is, hadn't thought of that location. I have a 2006 and took a photo of the "empty space" - does my photo appear to be what you started with for space?

With a gauge, you must have a tank mounted somewhere as well??? How large of a tank?

My Viar is a 400p model, I'll dig it out in a day or two and see if I might squeeze it in the same location.

I appreciate the help.

John
I located mine under the hood on the passenger side up near the windshield. There's a *huge* space there with three bolts already sticking out. I made some brackets to fit those three bolts to the four mount points on the compressor. It works great there and there's enough space to easily install the thing...

I picked up a few parts today. I'll be running the leader to a manifold where I'll mount a safety valve (designed to open at 115 PSI, in case I forget to snap in my air chuck before turning the thing on...) and then branch two hoses - one to the front and one to the rear. For now I'll find a spot and just zip tie the QDs in place. But I still want to hard mount the QDs with bulkhead fittings eventually. Once I decide on a final mount point front & rear I'll get the bulkhead fittings and make it permanent.

I should be doing the work this weekend. I'll try to grab some pictures to show you all what I come up with.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #20
Solo Member

kilo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

John
That's the exact spot. Except I don't have that small black box on the fuse box. I can see that I could have that smaller box and the a/c will still fit there. I have a 2.5 gal viair tank mounted under the bed. It sits between the rear bumper and spare tire. I have not put my spare back since doing this and not sure if it would fit with the tank there?

Quote:
I located mine under the hood on the passenger side up near the windshield. There's a *huge* space there with three bolts already sticking out. I made some brackets to fit those three bolts to the four mount points on the compressor. It works great there and there's enough space to easily install the thing...
I had to build a bracket as well. I thought about putting it on that side but where you mounted yours I have all the metal break lines going into that manifold thing. There is room next to it but decided against it.

Here is the bracket I built so the a/c sits level and a pic of the area where you mounted yours and why I couldn't do so.

Hope this helps.