Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Question about dip stick ?

Old 12-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
hawkman is on a distinguished road

hawkman's Tacoma Gallery
Question Question about dip stick ?

When I change my oil, I check the level, but there is NEVER a clear cut on the dip stick, there are traces of oil 10 to 12 inches up. I put 5.5 quarts so i know its not over filled...this happens repeatedly.What the *%#@????
Old 12-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When I change my oil, I check the level, but there is NEVER a clear cut on the dip stick, there are traces of oil 10 to 12 inches up. I put 5.5 quarts so i know its not over filled...this happens repeatedly.What the *%#@????
Try roughing it up with some sandpaper. Makes it a little easier to read.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
mine does that also... but there will always be one side that will show the clear cut of oil
Old 12-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #4
Taco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to allTaco John is a name known to all
Taco John's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is tough to read too. I have to let it sit overnight to get a decent reading and it will still be smeared up the stick but I can usually make out the line.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #5
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
Aside from the sandpaper idea, I've also heard of taking a file and putting little notches in one side to help "catch" the oil which supposedly makes it easier to read. I might try it before I change the oil next month.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
hawkman is on a distinguished road

hawkman's Tacoma Gallery
thanks atleast i know im not alone on this one...
Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 PM   #7
Tommy is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Tom
Tommy's Tacoma Gallery
I took a file and put criss cross lines on mine and it seemed to help. It's a bastard to read if you don't mod it.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:00 AM   #8
StandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shedStandingCow is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Prior service. KC135 Crew Chief
Name: John
StandingCow's Tacoma Gallery
Yea, I go through hell trying to read mine as well, I will give the sandpaper thing a try, if that doesn't work time to get out the file.