1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cargo light hookup question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spyshot, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    spyshot

spyshot [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dayton Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 TDR OFFRoad
    ok, i picked up a set of pacer 17" led strips and i'm going to hook them up in the bed of my tacoma on a switch. i thought a really easy way to get power to them was to tap into the 7 pin factory connector and use the 12v wire. i just took my test meter outside and realized that the ignition switch has to be on for that pin in the connector to have power. that means my lights will only work when the ignition is on. i was hoping to have the ability to use the lights without the truck being on.

so my question is this, are there any other places i can find an always on hot wire that i can tap into that is toward the rear end of the truck? i was trying to avoid running a line to the engine bay.

thanks!

2. Dec 30, 2010 at 10:47 AM
    sook

sook Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 Sport PreRunner SSM dbl cab sb
    Avid Offroad light bar, Steelcraft step bars, Extang Revolution tonno, TRD black chrome headlights, 09 LED tails, all window tint, OEM DTRL w/ GM shorty bulbs, tailgate hose clamp, fighter pilot with red cold-cathode, Pioneer AVH-4300BT
    I've read several threads about lights in the bed - If you want always on power, you have to go to the battery. If you want key power, you can use the taillight/hitch power.

3. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I used an "add a fuse" fuse tap in the interior fuse panel, ran the wire out an existing grommet under the driver's seat, then followed the frame to the bed of the truck. Not sure if there is anything constant hot at the rear of the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top