Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help! This one's for car talk Strange sound from behind glovebox/passenger wheel well

Old 12-31-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
wtbthree's Tacoma Gallery
Question Help! This one's for car talk Strange sound from behind glovebox/passenger wheel well

This is really strange....its a lengthy explanation, but maybe you can help
OK, I started the tuck up this morning to go to work, really cold and snowing a little today, I think it was around 2* at my house. Let it warm up for probably 5 mins and pulled out of the driveway

As I head down my road, I hear what sounds like a small rodent trapped somewhere behind my glovebox, or in the passenger side dash, scurrying around in there and trying to escape. A little dull bumping sound accompanies by a higher pitched screeching, scurrying noise...a familiar sound to me, lol
I've had mountain packrats build nests in AC vents and engine block of past vehicles a few times before, so I immediately think there must be something up in my engine bay trying to get out, would make sense given how cold its been the last few days. I pull over, pop the hood....nothing, engine bay is completely clean. I looked under the passenger side wheel well, at cv boots and all linkages, everything looks fine.
What's more, the noise stops when I stop the truck. I reved the engine while still stopped, no noise.
I start moving again, the noise starts up again, I turn off the blower fan, the noise continues.
When I accelerate, the noise DOES NOT change in frequency or pitch. It's totally irregular (like a small cat trapped in a slate-lined shoe box trying to get out)
I had to get to work, so I put up with it in the way to the ski basin. It was around 0* this morning in the parking lot. I figured, if it is a little animal stuck up in there, he's gonna get out over the course of the day or freeze to death.
I get back to the truck this afternoon, still snowing and cold as hell, pull out of the lot and the noise it still there...allll the way home. I thought maybe its a 4-wheel drive linkage, switched to 2-wheel drive, still there. Driving up my road, I thought I could here a heavy thud coming from the right front wheel well in addition to the noise, but need to confirm this
Checked my cabin filter for crap or any clues and found nothing but a few leaves
The truck is driving just fine in handling and all

So....any ideas???
Old 12-31-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Give 'er
wtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shedwtbthree is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wanting to go out tonight, but not sure if I should be driving....bump
Old 12-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
The ? is
Dbl Taco is on a distinguished road

Dbl Taco's Tacoma Gallery
gnomes?
Old 12-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
I think its the extremely cold weather causing your problem.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #5
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Seems like quite a few people are having problems w/rodents lately. I forget who posted it,but he had one or both of his coolant hoses chewed through.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
well
how about pulling and looking at the cabin air filter? see if any little furry friends have been there?

and you are sure it is not the blower motor at all? ( had heat and a/c off to make sure not turning? ( remember a/c runs if any fan and heat selected
As I said, I pulled the cabin filter and the fan, no signs of 'em

And, the noise continues of the fan is completely OFF
Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
Seems like quite a few people are having problems w/rodents lately. I forget who posted it,but he had one or both of his coolant hoses chewed through.
I'm having a hard time thinking its a rodent, as I said, I checked the cabin filter and blower fan (I have the dreaded fan chirp noise, and this isn different), plus I don't smell anything, the heat from the a/c smells just fine, which would not be the case if there was a nest anywhere. Also, when I go below about 5mph, the noise stops, speeding up brings it right back, I can make the noise on command, if you will
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post
I think its the extremely cold weather causing your problem.
I hope your right, but I can imagine what that is
Old 01-01-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
fjm0008 has a spectacular aura aboutfjm0008 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jack
fjm0008's Tacoma Gallery
Check the air intake where it meets the right fender. I was getting vibration noises that started when it got cold. You have to remove the washer reservoir to get to the bottom. If you push the gasket in it might stop the noise.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Outdoorsman
Jere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to allJere is a name known to all

Jere's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtbthree View Post
(like a small cat trapped in a slate-lined shoe box trying to get out)
So....any ideas???
Once had co-workers put one of these under my rear seat as a practical joke.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #12
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I had a strange noise at around 2000 rpm only in cold weather behind the glove box. Even when the fan was off. Sounded like what you are describing I think. It was the group of wires that enter the cabin through the firewall. Pop the hood and locate the bunch of wires that enter approximately in front of the glove box. There's a metal bracket that supports the wires before they enter the cabin. I pushed down hard on the bracket and bent it some to give the wires more tension. It's been 2 years and no more strange annoying buzzing/vibrating sounds. Not sure if that's your problem or not though but if so it's worth a try.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDTacoma View Post
I had a strange noise at around 2000 rpm only in cold weather behind the glove box. Even when the fan was off. Sounded like what you are describing I think. It was the group of wires that enter the cabin through the firewall. Pop the hood and locate the bunch of wires that enter approximately in front of the glove box. There's a metal bracket that supports the wires before they enter the cabin. I pushed down hard on the bracket and bent it some to give the wires more tension. It's been 2 years and no more strange annoying buzzing/vibrating sounds. Not sure if that's your problem or not though but if so it's worth a try.
Interesting, I'll check this out, I dont remember a group of wires like that on the passenger side. The noise doesn't seems to be related to a bumpy road surface at all either, but I'll look, thanks
Old 01-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #14
JTDTacoma is on a distinguished road
JTDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't happen with bumps, just at a certain rpm. And never in neutral, only when in gear. At a stop with truck in drive and foot on brake it'd do it. Shift to neutral and it'd stop. Made diagnosing it difficult!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTDTacoma View Post
Didn't happen with bumps, just at a certain rpm. And never in neutral, only when in gear. At a stop with truck in drive and foot on brake it'd do it. Shift to neutral and it'd stop. Made diagnosing it difficult!
OK, it does it at 5mph or 50 mph, same noise, only sometimes louder at speed. In neutral or in gear, same noise.
Does not seem suspension related, as it'll do it on a smooth section of road and my bumpy dirt road. I checked that metal holding bracket you spoke of, its firmly holding those wires in place

This is maddening
Old 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Thucker is on a distinguished road
Thucker's Tacoma Gallery
one of our Tacoma at work has some noise coming from the front right side. Turned out it was a lose mud flap, causing the fender liner to rattle causing a rumbling sound.

Mine has a light plastic rumbling sound too. I'm bringing it to the dealer this week to let them deal with it cause it's so new.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:46 PM   #17
Give 'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucker View Post
one of our Tacoma at work has some noise coming from the front right side. Turned out it was a lose mud flap, causing the fender liner to rattle causing a rumbling sound.

Mine has a light plastic rumbling sound too. I'm bringing it to the dealer this week to let them deal with it cause it's so new.
my front flaps are removed, and the fact that the noise continues, even at 5mph, makes me think it isn't my fender