Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Ride is too bumpy

Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #1
neneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant future
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
Ride is too bumpy

Hello. I recently bought a 2006 Taco because I loved my friends 2004. Its a regular cab automatic. I noticed the ride is real stiff. Im assuming its like that for extra cargo. I rarely carry heavy loads. My friends 2004 rides so much smoother.

Any way I can make my truck more comfortable? Thanks
Old 12-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
What brand shocks came on your truck?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
neneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant futureneneago has a brilliant future
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
I have no clue. It was a fleet vehicle for some company. Its completely stock.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Check the rear tire air pressure.......if it seems really high air it down. I had a 2000 reg cab prerunner and found that with the wheel base so close together,the ride was a bit more rough. Also changed out the bench seat for buckets.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #5

Is yours a prerunner or a basic reg cab?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
It has no labels in the back saying its a prerunner...so Im assuming its a regular cab. Here are a few pics i just took.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #7

Looks bone stock. How many miles are on your truck? I would change those shocks out and have those springs looked at. If it was a fleet vehicle it may have done allot of heavy hauling. Hard to say.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
Its got 100k. Should I replace with OEM shocks or is their an aftermarket shock thats better?
Old 12-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
Get Bilstein 5100's all around
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #11
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Neither of those will work because he has a 5-lugger. Bilstein might make a 5-lugger 5100, but I don't think so.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by neneago View Post
Its got 100k. Should I replace with OEM shocks or is their an aftermarket shock thats better?

Do you plan on lifting your truck or are you just going to keep it stock?
Old 12-31-2010, 09:42 PM   #13
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
I want to keep the truck stock looking. I dont go off roading and i only carry small loads from Home depot and ikea. Its a truck I use to maintain my home. My goal is to have a comfortable ride.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:22 PM   #14
Banned
jjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjw1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jesse
jjw1's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think he has a 5 lugger
Old 12-31-2010, 10:42 PM   #15
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
I count 4 leaf springs?

stock tacoma (like mine) have 3
the spring tsb is 4 BUT just a tacoma does NOT qualify !!!

think that could be the ride trouble (too stiff)

^^^ This

That leaf pack is either a TSB pack , an AAL , or an aftermarket leaf pack .

As a side note the writing on the top of the leaf pack looks exactly like the writing on the top of my Dakars . Maybe they are Dakars with one of the overloads removed ?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Got a photo or two of the outside of the truck?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
nvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shednvdeserted is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nvdeserted's Tacoma Gallery
I'm guessing that the 2 rusty leafsprings in the picture were added since new. The truck was probably used for hauling if it was a fleet-truck. What should be there is just the 2 thin black ones and the fat-short-flat one on the bottom = stock.

You can safely loose those 2 rusty leafs and you'll have a stock quality ride.

Also, your tires on that truck shouldn't be over 30psi... set those down just as a bonus to make your ride smoother.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:38 PM   #18
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
I was looking at a similar tacoma in a parking lot. It has less leaf springs. Im thinking some of you have figured out my problem. Now I have to find a shop that can bring me back to stock. Anyone knows a shop in the San Francisco bay area? Should I just go to any suspension shop? Dealer? Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #19
myname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant futuremyname150 has a brilliant future

myname150's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom View Post
if he would have posted a pic of the bumpstops it would show what he has

are the bumpstops on the frame or on the axle?

if up on the frame=tacoma ( close to the ground ;-D)
if on the axle then prerunner?
I took these pictures from my stock PreRunner DC (No TSBs done). Hopefully they help...My bumpstop is on the axle by the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Ride is too bumpy-img_0624.jpg   Ride is too bumpy-img_0626.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #20
Navy:
neneago's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the pictures. Im still looking for a shop to remove those two extra leafs that I have.