Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Supercharger and turbo timer?

Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
TacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to behold
Name: Joshua
TacoOwner?'s Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger and turbo timer?

In a few days I am going to have the viper 5901 remote start/alarm installed. It has the capability to have a turbo timer but its quite a process according to the guy at the store. So I figured I could have them do it when they install the starter. My question is, would it benefit me with a Rotrex supercharger? I know the purpose is to continue running to cool the oil in a turbo, but unsure about the supercharger. For those who dont know, the rotrex is not a roots style sc. http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p..._id=1260518946

Josh
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Why not ask the dealer?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
Not needed. I would not bother with it.

G
Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Listen to Gadget. Turbo timers are so that the turbos can spin at a lower rpm after running the vehicle hard and turning it off. You need cooler oil around the turbo bearings so you won't fry the turbo. S/C's are a completely different animal.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
ZenkaiTaco is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
ZenkaiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Indeed, not needed. IMO they're not even needed with a turbo after 90% of driving. The only time you would need to turbo time an engine is right after a drag race, running a road course, or spirited canyon run.

Turbos get much hotter then superchargers. If you turn a turboed engine off right after prolonged period of being in boost, the turbo will be hot enough to cook the oil that is hanging out in the center cartridge. By letting it run for a little bit, the oil being pumped through it will cool it off.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:50 AM   #6
TacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to beholdTacoOwner? is a splendid one to behold
Name: Joshua
TacoOwner?'s Tacoma Gallery
Ok cool thank you very much for the input. I was not sure if the sc had oiled bearings or whether they needed to be cooled. Sweet that will save me about 100 or so. Also, I can't really ask the dealer because it's not their product, they don't back it or know about it really (few dealers know the rotrex)...unless by dealer you meant the rotrex dealer. Thanks again all!

Josh
Old 01-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The reason turbos need to run for a while after they have been driven hard is because they get extremely hot since they use exhaust gas energy to function. Even then they only need a minute or two to cool properly. Superchargers use engine power to function so they run cooler.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
with a supercharger it's completely pointless, most new turbo charged cars dont even need it as most are water cooled also