1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivers side unlock button won't work

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZ11, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:20 AM
    AZ11

AZ11 [OP] I'd rather eat dirt

Member:
    First Name:
    Shaun
    PHX, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner DC/SB TRD Sport
    TRD CAI, TRD Cat back exhaust, OME 885 springs/N140 front struts, Toytec top plate, OME 182 rear struts/Toytec AAL rear, Total Chaos UCA's, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Black Badged, 20% tint in front, 5% in back, Viper two way alarm/remote start, PA15-TOY iPod interface
    WHAT'S UP TW!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's been a while for me on here. Like the title of this post implies, the drivers side unlock button stopped working. I can push the lock button and all the doors lock, but when I push the unlock button nothing happens. The passenger side unlock button unlocks the doors just fine so it can't be a problem with the actuators right? I'm thinking it's got to be a wiring/connection issue. I took it to the stealership but they want $150 just to open up the door panel and look at it. I do have a Viper remote entry/start installed but the unlock button worked fine for a long time after installing the Viper.
    Has anyone else had a similar problem? How did you fix it? Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

2. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    It sounds like the drivers door lock switch is bad. If the passenger side one works everything fine then obviously the door lock actuators all work ok & relay for the locks work ok. The only thing left is the drivers door lock switch itself. I'm not 100% sure but I think the lock switch is part of the window switch too? Definetly replace the switch. You might also just try removing the switch from your door panel and banging on it to see if it starts working, sometimes that is the best diagnostic procedure.

3. Jan 1, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I've had this happen on a ford explorer. It was the whole unlock assembly that went bad. The connection in the unit fried and I ended up just replacing the whole assembly. Now this was a explorer so on yours I would take the door panel off and check connections and such.

Products Discussed in

To Top