1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharger Belt R&R?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 05SuperChrg, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Jan 1, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    05SuperChrg

05SuperChrg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Hello-

Any DIYers replace a Supercharger belt in a 2nd Gen Taco? If so do you have any guidance or lessons that you can pass down before I bust my knuckles on a cold winter evening?
    Like remove fan and shroud, pics? anything?

thanks

2. Jan 1, 2011 at 3:49 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    It's a simple task. Kinda goes without saying but just make sure you route it correctly. You should have a sticker on your hood showing you which way to route it;)

you dont need to remove the fan shroud, or fan. You do have to remove the tensioner for the supercharger belt though;)

3. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:24 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    TRD Supercharger, TRD Air Filter,Rancho 9000's, Old Man,Fumoto Oil Drain Valve,Kenwood Sub, Sony HU,Wet Okole, debadged,satoshi,Slee Sliders
    Hey Super Werty, thanks for the 411. The tensioner bolt seems pretty tight, I removed the skid plate to get to the tensioner but am having a hard time breaking the 14mm bolt free. The tensioner looks like it has a mount that connects to another tensioner, does that sound accurate?

4. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    You took the belt off right?

I thought they were 12mm bolts.

5. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    no the belt is still on, I just removed the skid plate and starting looking into how to remove it. Ahh I think I was trying to loosen the wrong thing, if it is 12mm bolts and there is more than 1. I was definitely working on the wrong thing.

6. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    k20me

k20me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    BroCal
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    Does anyone have an actual DIY for this, or are we just reversing how to do it from the TRD manual? I have to do mine as well. Thanks for the input.

7. Jan 1, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    Yea I think its 2 or 3 12mm bolts holding it on. Go ahead and loossen the belt though;)

8. Jan 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    I can see how to loosen the tensioner 3-12MM bolts but how do you relieve the tension on the belt?

9. Jan 2, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    Super Werty

Super Werty Sleeper 4x4

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Tacoma
    air and fuel
    There is a silver arm with a 1/2 inch square on it. Use a half inch socket wrench and turn it clockwise, this will relieve the tension.

Then pull that tensioner assembly all the way off, put new belt in and put the tensioner back on. You will need to push clockwise again on the silver arm to get the belt back on.

10. Jan 8, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    05SuperChrg

Member:
    SF Bay Area
    Done, for anyone who may be doing this it is not a 15-20 minute job. If you can accomplish it in 20 minutes you must have a head start :)

To do this job you must do the following:
    1) Remove skid plate- 4 12mm bolts
    2) From under the truck, put 1/2 socket drive into tensioner. It is an aluminum colored mount- turn clockwise. I used a 1/2" tork wrench to do this.
    3) While keeping pressure on the wrench remove belt from the top. I used a hammer to keep the tork wrench in it place, with the hammer on the inside of the drivers tire.
    4) Once the belt is loose, remove tork wrench and hammer.
    5) Remove belt tensioner, 2 14mm nuts, 1 14mm screw.
    6) Remove belt from truck by moving tensioner away from bolt and slipping belt through. Do not remove tensioner from truck.
    7) Route new belt from the bottom up, be sure to pay attention to the routing of the tensioner. This may be a bit tricky pay attention from the bottom up on routing.
    8) Once belt is routed, (not tight) replace tensioner nuts and bolt.
    9) Put tork wrench back on tensioner and hold with something longer then hammer.
    10) Pop belt back on with screwdriver on the top puller, and remove tork wrench.

Done

11. Feb 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM
    ebulang

ebulang Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    Cumming, GA
    Vehicle:
    SR5
    How would you know if it is time to replace the belt? Do we have specific mileage on it?

12. Sep 10, 2012 at 6:12 PM
    d.sull

d.sull Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    Tuscaloosa
    Vehicle:
    08 Supercharged TRD Sport 4x4
    Supercharger, JBA headers, Pioneer DVD, Backup camera, two tone leather seats, step bars, HID headlights and fog lights, black billet grill, blacked out tail lights, BHLM, Bull bar, off road lights
    Sorry to reopen a dead thread but I had a hard time with my supercharger belt replacement so I figured I'd throw in my two cents...

If you have a hard time getting enough clearance when trying to turn the tensioner pulley, if you turn the fan until you see a notched area in the motor, it will let you push your ratchet up further so you can loosen the belt more.

Also, in order to get the belt off completely, I took the tensioner assembly all the way out. There's a rectangular bracket piece that has a 12mm screw on the side and two 14mm nuts on the top and the bottom of the mount. My mount was black while the tensioner arm was silver.

Hope this helps someone cause this was more of a PITA than I thought it should be.

Products Discussed in

To Top