Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Milky white residue in Oil Fill Tube and Cap???

Old 01-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #1
TacoMagnum is on a distinguished road
TacoMagnum's Tacoma Gallery
Milky white residue in Oil Fill Tube and Cap???

Hey guys, just did an oil change and noticed that there is a milky white residue coating the inside of the oil fill tube and the inside of the cap.. Never noticed this before! i have an 07' 6cyl. anyone else notice this?? Truck runs fine but seems to choke a bit on cold starts... kinda wierd...

Thanks all, Cheers to 2011!
Ray
Old 01-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I was wondering when this week's edition of this thread would pop up....

I'm guessing you have a short drive to work? Where the engine can't warm up all the way before you have to shut it off?
Old 01-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
TacoMagnum is on a distinguished road
TacoMagnum's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
I was wondering when this week's edition of this thread would pop up....

I'm guessing you have a short drive to work? Where the engine can't warm up all the way before you have to shut it off?

Lmao! Ive been lurkin here for awhile and never saw a thread about it.. but yes i do take short drives a few times a day, and i did take a short drive before i changed it but ive had the truck for less than 7 months and put 11,000 on her so i do drive quite frequently. 45,000mi as of now. No problems so far!

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMagnum View Post
Lmao! Ive been lurkin here for awhile and never saw a thread about it.. but yes i do take short drives a few times a day, and i did take a short drive before i changed it but ive had the truck for less than 7 months and put 11,000 on her so i do drive quite frequently. 45,000mi as of now. No problems so far!

Thanks!
The general consensus is that the milky white residue occurs on the cap and the filler tube because on short drives when the engine can't get up to normal operating temp, condensation forms on the cap and filler tube (the furthest points from the hot engine). Others will chime in with more detail. I'm only going on the discussion I've seen in previous threads.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
And with the long, highly insulating oil fill tube on the 4.0, some people seem to have the problem even with long trips.

Still won't cause any problems with the engine long-term. If you notice it, just check to make sure your oil fill cap is on nice and tight, and forget about the engine mayonnaise.