Notices

something's up w/ my suspension...

Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
Truck Noob
MaxPower is on a distinguished road

Name: Cezar
MaxPower's Tacoma Gallery
something's up w/ my suspension...

as stated, i fear something has happened to it. the rear driver's side seems like it's sitting 2" lower than the rear passenger side. it's all OEM suspension/leafs as i have not yet tinkered with it, nor have i taken the tires off ever, (only have had it for 8000 or so miles, though it is at 25555), or had any TSB's done on it.

however, i did put in the bed, behind the axle, two tuffboxes with 3 bags of tubesand each, (totaling 360 lbs of weight), to weigh the rear end down for the winter. it's centered pretty evenly between the bed walls and against the tailgate and strapped down securely as well.

there's no way that could cause the suspension to sag like that, would it? i've never taken it off-road, nor driven it like an asshole (yet) and up and over things.

def still a warranty on it, so the dealer should def help me out, right, or will they say something about the weight in the rear, even though they are rated for like 1200 lbs payloads...?

i'll try to post pic later. thanks for any help in advance.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Truck Noob

also worth noting that it doesn't seem to pull in one direction or another while driving, which i found a bit odd.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
Truck Noob

seriously? and i am at 3/4 full. i never noticed it before.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
taco lean still shouldnt be a whole 2" though....
Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #6
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
start over and see what is happening, take everything out of the truck and see how it sits, if that doesn't work, take a look at your suspension, stand on your bumper and jump up and down. Not sure if that will solve your problem, but its a start
Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
maybe hes got a bad shock?
Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
maybe hes got a bad shock?
x2 sounds like a shock is stuck or bent
Old 01-01-2011, 10:05 PM   #10
Truck Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireturk41 View Post
x2 sounds like a shock is stuck or bent

if this is the case, am i covered by the warranty/dealer?
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 AM   #11
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
if this is the case, am i covered by the warranty/dealer?
it should be, unless the dealership finds a way to say that the blown shock was your fault
Old 01-02-2011, 12:11 AM   #12
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeezy View Post
it should be, unless the dealership finds a way to say that the blown shock was your fault
which they'll do...f it...I smell Bilstein 5100s in your future

Good luck bud
Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
is it just me or arent shocks just supposed to dampen the suspension, not any actual weight support? take it to the dealer and have it handled, that is what the warranty is for.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 AM   #14
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
^x2 I say let the dealer look at it.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #15
My6AteUr8 is on a distinguished road
Name: Joel
My6AteUr8's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
as stated, i fear something has happened to it. the rear driver's side seems like it's sitting 2" lower than the rear passenger side. it's all OEM suspension/leafs as i have not yet tinkered with it, nor have i taken the tires off ever, (only have had it for 8000 or so miles, though it is at 25555), or had any TSB's done on it.

however, i did put in the bed, behind the axle, two tuffboxes with 3 bags of tubesand each, (totaling 360 lbs of weight), to weigh the rear end down for the winter. it's centered pretty evenly between the bed walls and against the tailgate and strapped down securely as well.

there's no way that could cause the suspension to sag like that, would it? i've never taken it off-road, nor driven it like an asshole (yet) and up and over things.

def still a warranty on it, so the dealer should def help me out, right, or will they say something about the weight in the rear, even though they are rated for like 1200 lbs payloads...?

i'll try to post pic later. thanks for any help in advance.
I've had 2 different Tacoma's in the last 8 years. Both of my trucks did this same thing. I've seen posts about it in another Taco forum that I'm a member in and this seems to be a common thing with Taco's. Note the consistent weight on the driver side (driver and gas tank) versus the lack there of on the passenger side. It's not a big deal and most people don't even notice it. If you're looking to correct it, I would suggest upgrading your leaf packs.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Truck Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by My6AteUr8 View Post
I've had 2 different Tacoma's in the last 8 years. Both of my trucks did this same thing. I've seen posts about it in another Taco forum that I'm a member in and this seems to be a common thing with Taco's. Note the consistent weight on the driver side (driver and gas tank) versus the lack there of on the passenger side. It's not a big deal and most people don't even notice it. If you're looking to correct it, I would suggest upgrading your leaf packs.
if this is normal, i find it hard that it would be 2", and that i never noticed it before. also, why the hell would this be normal...why couldn't Toyota even it out...?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
taco lean is normal 2 inches is not, if you went over a bump and one shock got bent or stuck while compressed it can cause your lean
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
is it just me or arent shocks just supposed to dampen the suspension, not any actual weight support? take it to the dealer and have it handled, that is what the warranty is for.
^this^ The only thing that might be broke that would cause this is the spring perch or where the mount is welded to the shock bottom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
^x2 I say let the dealer look at it.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Yeah, there's a TSB for that!
DrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrRabbitFurHead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DrRabbitFurHead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
is it just me or arent shocks just supposed to dampen the suspension, not any actual weight support?
YES! When I replaced my rear shocks, I unbolted them and removed them by hand w/o jacking up the truck. The rear leafs take all of the load, the shocks take the brunt of the high frequency loads and help absorb the impact.
One thing could be that the previous owner overloaded the bed once before and damaged one of the leaf packs. It could be the added weight (sand bags) are causing the 2" and your truck can't handle the added weight now. Just a thought.