1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Zune adapter installed and new interior paint done!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by T.J., Jan 1, 2011.

1. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:14 AM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Century Truck Topper, custom made "Batman" center caps, satoshi mod (Thanks tons, TY!), Hella 500 grille lights, painted radio, climate control, and radio surround panels, painted rear bumper
    Its been awhile since I did the install on this. For some reason, though, I recall there being a different adapter or wire harness for the 1st Gens vs the 2nd Gens. This set up is pretty basic regarding features. It does NOT display anything on the radio regarding the song/artist/title. It seems to play thru the CD port. If you are listening to the radio and want to switch over to the Zune, you have to press the CD button. It will read the Zune before it reads the CD(s) you might have in the player already. To skip over the Zune to play your CD(s) you just tap the CD button again and it will que up the disk. You can use the up/down button on the radio to change the song on the Zune, though. The Zune will also charge while playing. Only complaint I have is that if you forget to turn the power off on the radio, the Zune will continue to run while the truck is turned off. Considering the ZUNE has a very limited aftermarket selection, this adapter was/is great for what it does. I do not know how/if it would work with an aftermarket stereo head unit though.

2. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:16 AM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    Century Truck Topper, custom made "Batman" center caps, satoshi mod (Thanks tons, TY!), Hella 500 grille lights, painted radio, climate control, and radio surround panels, painted rear bumper
    Thanks! The paint was an easy mod, if not a little time consuming. Worth it IMO. As for the cup holders, yeah. They came with the truck when I bought it.

3. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:27 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    sweet!

i had no idea that there was a Zune adapter!!!

4. Feb 8, 2012 at 7:50 AM
    elmo7

elmo7 Easily Replaceable Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD OR 4x4
    There aren't many out there now. Looks like one source, @ $150.

A bit related, I just did the Aux mod last wk to my stock radio and my wife's Zune HD plays great through that....but it does not charge of course since it's just a headphone jack.

5. Feb 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM
    wesb1023

wesb1023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Westley
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab
    How do you know what songs you are selecting to play? The grom kit for the iPod, you have to make playlists that are selectable by the numbers on the head unit. Does this adapter work any way like this? Or is it like a random shuffle?

6. Feb 9, 2012 at 6:40 AM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    I have pre-made 'playlists' and then just the 'music' option on my Zune HD. You have to access the Zune unit itself if you want a specific playlist to listen to. Once that playlist is selected, you can use the radio head unit 'seek/track' button to move thru the songs on that list. If you just select the 'music' feature of the Zune it will play songs at random. Again, you can use the radio 'seek/track' button to move thru your songs. As for making playlists that you can access via the radio, no. It does not work like that. Really, this adapter set is more for asthetics than function since there are less wires and it appears to be a factory look when installed. It charges the unit when the truck is running, plays music thru the stereo, and allows limited use of radio buttons to minimize handling/accessing the zune unit. It does NOT compare to anything along the lines of an iPod or their seemingly infinite amount of aftermanrket options. I only have the Zune because it was a gift, and I'm too cheap to go out and buy an iPod :D If you want/need lots of features/options with the use of your mp3 player, this ZUNE & adapter will disappoint. If you just want to listen to/charge your Zune thru the radio and would like to be able to move thru songs one at a time via the radio seek/track button, you'll be very happy!

7. Feb 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM
    junglefighter25

junglefighter25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1996, 1999, 2011, 2013, 2016 Tacoma
    Your dash paint-up could have either gone really cool, or really shitty. That took a lot of balls. Great job.
    I am also a Zune fan, so double kudos to you.

8. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:04 AM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    OP what did u paint the dash with?

9. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM
    pa blaster

pa blaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    central pa
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD OR 4x4
    5100's front & rear , Eibach springs, LR uca,Icon progressive aal
    looks real good :thumbsup:

10. Feb 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    If and i say if there was a flaw it would be the square's over the words. It looks great though! Excellent job man. Looks really good installed.
    [​IMG]

11. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    KRYLON satin black paint for plastic in a rattle can.

12. Feb 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM
    T.J.

T.J. [OP] Taco Jockey

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    North Port, FL
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5 V6
    LOL, Thanks! The "squares" will eventually be painted over and I'll place silver lettered decals over the old black letters. I just never got around to getting the decals made. A little clear fingernail polish over the decals and they'll be set. one of these days...:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top