Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Thinking about buying a Tacoma

Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
jkoster is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
jkoster's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about buying a Tacoma

Hello, this is obviously my first post. I am debating on a Tacoma Double cab. Well, I know that I want a Tacoma and that it has to be a double cab. The thing i am debating on is whether or not to get the 4 cylinder or 6. I am a little concerned about the weight of the double cab being pulled by a 4 cylinder. I don't want to be that guy in the slow lane going up a hill passed by big rigs. Can anyone let me know if they have the 4 cylinder option for the double cab and if it feels slow going up hills? Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
welcome, sounds like you want the v-6. If i were getting a double cab that would be my choice. I have searched this forum on that very subject, it is slow getting up to speed on small inclines etc...........i am sure someone will chime in with what your looking for.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I would test drive one of each..

I am very happy with the power my 4.0 has. Even if you are not planning on towing anything now, if you have the V6, it will make it much easier in the future if you needed to. I would hate to buy a truck only to be disappointed with its capabilities... But that is just me.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM   #5
jkoster is on a distinguished road
Name: Jeff
jkoster's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, you guys are fast. Thank you for the warm welcome. Of course I would like to have the 6 but I'm also trying to be realistic with what I need this truck for. I do the typical home improvements on the weekend but need something to get to work during the week.

But I agree that I really don't want to buy something I am going to regret in a few months.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
ROOTIN AROUND
08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of08TRD Sport has much to be proud of

Army: BNCOC SGL
Name: Joshua
08TRD Sport's Tacoma Gallery
I would get the double cab make sure if you going to get one get a 4X4 with TRD. I had one and getting looking a used one right now I really dont care what it has on it but I love the tacomas and gotta get another one
Old 01-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
avionicsman is on a distinguished road
avionicsman's Tacoma Gallery
I mentioned this in another thread... Test drove the 4 cyl double cab yesterday. Maybe it was defective but it was dangerously slow in a city like Houston. Made my 4 cyl 2000 Nissan truck feel like a sports car.

Not sure if it is the continual weight gain of American market trucks or a poorly matched automatic transmission. Felt like it would never start in 1st no matter how much I mashed the pedal. They should have put a manual transmission in it. If it was a small turbo diesel I could accept it since at least I could reasonably haul and tow stuff.

You'd think with the upcoming increases to CAFE standards that Toyota would be taking us back to a sensible compact truck...Even the Hi-Lux in their other markets went to mid size last gen.

I'll probably try to hold out another couple years but am getting tired of fixing my Nissan.