1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Going from 06 Tundra to 2011 Tacoma - Questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by btanchors, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Jan 2, 2011 at 6:55 AM
    btanchors

btanchors [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    Hello all,

I have a first gen (2006) Tundra that is the primary vehicle for my wife. We are considering selling it to my son, which means my wife will need a new truck. The new Tundras just seem too big for her, so we are looking at a loaded Tacoma 4x4 V6. My questions:

Has anyone made this switch - from a first gen Tundra to a new Tacoma? How do they compare size wise on the interior? Does going from a V8 in the heavier Tundra to a V6 in the new Tacomas result in noticable loss of power/acceleration/performance?

Also - I've been playing around with building and configuring new Tacomas on the Toyota web site. It looks I can get a loaded Tacoma with all the options and accessories for about $34K. However, I was rather surprised to note there is no option for a navigation system! This was an unpleasant surprise...Is this something specific to my area (Mid Atlantic region), or is it simply not offered on Tacomas? In general, it seems you can't get a Tacoma as refined on the inside as a Tundra - no leather, etc.

Finally - any other general lessons learned or things to be aware of in the Tacoma line? I am familiar with the first gen Tundras, and have owned several other Toyota/Lexus models, but I have never looked at the Tacomas closely.

2. Jan 2, 2011 at 6:57 AM
    allrsdup

allrsdup Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sahuarita AZ.
    Vehicle:
    2018 dcsb trd offroad 4x4 Inferno
    the first gen tundra and new tacoma are pretty close in size i can tell u that.

3. Jan 2, 2011 at 7:14 AM
    gusotto

gusotto gusotto

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4X4 SR5 Extended Cab

4. Jan 2, 2011 at 7:31 AM
    YeahBoyyy

YeahBoyyy I <3 Taco's

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2010, Sport, 4 door, Mag Grey
    Pioneer AVH-P3200BT head unit, Two 10" Rockford Fosgate p3 subs, Westin chrome bull bar, Westin chrome tube steps
    My dad has an 06 tundra and I have a 2010 tacoma. The tundra is a lot wider, that is the main difference. You can really tell when you are sitting in the backseat. It is also a little bit taller. You can get the same length with a longbed, although i prefer shortbeds because they look better IMO. You can't get navigation in tacomas, if you put in a new head unit you can get navigation and still look stock. Or you can just grab a garmin or tom tom for pretty cheap (what i did). But if you are going to want a new head unit anyways(for subs or audio improvement) then just get an HU with nav. Leather is another thing you would have to put in after for ~$1000. But for me i like the sport seat's material better than leather (doesn't get hot or cold, and is really comfy.) Get the sport model if you are looking for the most luxury a tacoma can get.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X920BT
    ^^ That is an example of a really nice head unit with gps, it is 6.1". It replaces the stock radio and looks really good.

I attached a pic below that shows somewhat what the head unit would look like, although mine is 5.8" and does not have navigation.

1221101152.jpg

5. Jan 2, 2011 at 7:37 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Weight of the two trucks is for all intents the same, as are exterior dimensions. Interior of the Tacoma is a little smaller.

4.0L V6 does sacrifice some power to the 4.7L V8, but you won't notice unless you tow, because you're not going to be pegging the rev limiter during daily driving. The Tacoma is geared perfectly.

No navigation. Meh. Learn to read a map.

No real major issues with these trucks. Earlier models had some issues with weak rear leaf springs, and the auto-trans shift mapping was kinda wonky from 2nd to 1st, but those were both addressed with a TSB. Nothing major.

What are you planning to do with the truck? Just daily drive? Or will it actually be put to work towing/hauling/offroading?

6. Jan 2, 2011 at 8:20 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I owned two 1GEN tundras (04 DC & 06 AC) before my current 2006 Tacoma DC
    What I noticed:

~ The defrosting capabilities were much better in the Tundra. I live in snowy, rainy, foggy New England. Lots of moisture. Not having heated mirrors & a defroster that works well at times is a pita. Say what you want about heated mirrors, but if you haven't lived in cold icy climate at times I feel its a hazard. You have to have the heat cranked to make the windows clear & stay cleared. I run it at the 2nd to the last setting not full defrost. That seems to work best.

~ The MPGs in the Tundra & Tacoma are the same. I get the same mileage in my 4.0L V6 that I did in both my 4.7s V8. Both were 4WD & auto. One tundra was a 4spd. The other was the newer 5. I tracked it pretty closely. Even the larger DC (the 1GEN) got 20 mpg highway once broken in.

~ The bed depth, size,tie downs & bed material will be different. The tacoma composite bed only has tie downs in the back & no locking tailgate. You have to add fixed D-rings to the front of the bed to get good anchor points up front. The rail track has adjustable clamps which are good, but if you need a solid mounting point up front, its a mod you have to do. Also you can add a pop-nl-ock & the hose clamp for added tailgate security. The composite bed is nice & has held up to a lot of use. No need for a liner or line-x but I added a bed mat to stop stuff from sliding around.

~ The rear suspension - I had the Rear TSB done for I bottomed out very easily. The TSB did stiffen the ride a little bit but now the truck does not bottom out when towing, getting mulch, carrying teenagers in the backseat. It still applies to the 2011s for toyota still puts the 3 leaf pak on the trucks in the US.

~ The radio (since you mentioned it). Overall the stock radios used in the tacoma are not that great. Read about them here. Its a easy mod to swap out the deck. I did not have the JBL & a $100 new deck was a huge improvement. Spend a little more & you have your navi. :)

~ The Tacoma's interior room is not as wide. Everything is within easy reach, but I felt my Tundras, though a tad dated, was more refined. The shifter is on the floor vs the column. Also the 4WD switch is a dial, no lever. Andthere is no glove box lock fwiw. The Tacoma's interior felt more blingy at first, all the silver accents. I have gotten use to it.

~ The Sport model Tacoma comes with a hood scoop. I would suggest your wife drive a sport. I found it to hinder my view while driving since I am a small person. The Sport models are probably the nicest model though. I bought a nicely equipped SR5 DC w/ tow then modded to my liking.

~ Changing the oil on the 4.0L Tacoma is much easier than the Tundra. The filter is right up front. 20 mins tops & nice DIY thread on here. :)

~ Parking is easier in my Tacoma. The Tundra AC was ok. The Tundra crew cab was a beast to park lol.

Overall, I think your wife will like the tacoma. It fits me very well & is very similar to my older toyota trucks (87-95). At times I do miss the tundra, the 4.7V8 was smooth as silk. The 4.0L is a little noisy in comparison. I love my tacoma but at times been thinking about the new 4.6V8 Tundra.

7. Jan 2, 2011 at 11:20 AM
    streetlightning

streetlightning Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD T/X Pro
    I think you'll like the Tacoma 4.0L. I have owned three of them (2006, 2008 and 2011) and I'd buy another. The reason I didn't go with a Tundra is pretty simple. First of all, the Tundra I would have purchased was $46K as opposed to $32K for the Tacoma. The mileage was wasn't quite as good and the Tacoma is very nimble and easy to manuver. I tow a lot for my business with medium sized searchlight trailers and the Tacoma is perfect. I also have a flat bed which I haul my Kubota 4WD tractor with loader on and the Tacoma does just fine. With big loads, wind resistance has dropped my mileage, but weight hasn't been as much of an issue. Over the this past summer, I traded in my 2008 Tacoma on a Dodge Cummins Bluetec Diesel. Believe it or not, I'd rather have the Tacoma. So, I took a loss and got rid of the Cummins and went back to a 2011 Tacoma. My trailers don't weigh more than 4000lbs or so and the Tacoma is perfect. I drive about 40K a year and 20% of that is with trailers. I think you'll like the Tacoma.

8. Jan 3, 2011 at 1:55 PM
    btanchors

btanchors [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dennis
    Herndon, VA
    All,

Thank you all very much for the detailed and useful information. We plan to look more closely at the Tacoma at the upcoming auto show in Washington, DC.

We plan to use the new Tacoma mostly as a daily driver, although it may occasionally tow a 5x14 trailer that weighs about 3000 pounds fully loaded. This will be rare and when it does happen, will only be short distances. We'll save the majority of the towing for the Tundra, which we already have.

9. Jan 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM
    streetlightning

streetlightning Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRD T/X Pro
    Dennis,
    A Tacoma will do just fine with your trailer. I tow quite a bit in the mountains and I've been very pleased with my Tacoma. I have a tandem axle PJ trailer I haul my Kubota on. The trailer and tractor loaded weigh about 4500 and I'm still very pleased. There are a few hills that drag it down, but my old Chevy did the same thing. I haven't added the brake controller, but might. I towed with the 6speed before I bought 5speed auto(s) and actually prefer the automatic. Both have done well. You'll be happy.

10. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    xaerialist

xaerialist New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Custom TRD Sport
    Pro Comp, Rockstar, Leather
    I went from a 2004 Tundra to a 2011 Tacoma. I lifted it and put leather in it...I like it way better!!!

11. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:28 PM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Welcome to the forum former Tundra owner.
    If you'd like post up an intro in the new member area & add some pics.
    We like pics. :)

12. Apr 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    your wife will love it....:rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top