Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Dilemma... Need advice from wise folks.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #1
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Dilemma... Need advice from wise folks.

So yesterday on new year's day my left knee finally gave in. After many years of discomfort, occasional pains its done. I have had problems with that knee since I was 15 years old, now I am 25. Well the preliminary diagnosis by my dad who is a physician is damaged/torn meniscus. I am going to get MRI today or tomorrow to find out exactly what's going on.

The problem is that I cannot drive my Taco, it is 5 speed and I cannot extend my left leg. I can't even walk I get around by hopping on my right leg

For now I am swapping my truck with my dad who has automatic Kia Sorento and I will get around in that for the time being. Now I will most likely need surgery and my dad guesstimated 3-5 weeks recovery time after surgery and it is not guaranteed that I will be able to drive manual without pain again.

Now I just got the Taco last summer and I love it, it's a great little truck. However I might need to trade it in for Automatic Taco. If that happens it would be double cab or access cab (depending how my family likes the AC cab) automatic, so my family can fit.

Right now I pay $250/month for my Taco. Double cab automatic will most likely be $300-$350/month. Now I can swing that payment but would prefer not to....

What would you do in my situation?

1, Ride the storm out, see how surgery goes and decide then if I should keep my Taco or trade it in?

2, Trade the Taco in for auto Taco (I know I will need to upgrade sometimes to AC or DC because of my family needs, its just matter of time).

If I am trading my Taco in all the mods will go! best case scenario would be to find a forum member who wants my mods and swap the lift/tires with him...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
good luck with the knee. I feel your pain.. literally.

I say wait for the MRI and surgery if you end up needing it. If your old man is happy to let you rock his car for a while while you recover, you can make a better decision than guessing at it now.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
Creemore will become famous soon enoughCreemore will become famous soon enough
Creemore's Tacoma Gallery
I'd pick door number one. You're going to eat a lot of depreciation trading this soon. You don't feel depreciation when you finance or lease, because you tend to think in terms of payments, not equity. But over time, this kind of thing is a great way to stay poor. They're performing miracles in orthopedic surgery these days, and you're young. A full recovery isn't impossible. I'd wait until you've had all the medical input and maybe even the procedure and the post-op therapy so you have a solid prognosis. Then, if you have to, let it go.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 AM   #4
jmoreau is on a distinguished road

Army: Track Commander, M113 "Miclic"
Name: Josh
jmoreau's Tacoma Gallery
I also say hold off for awhile and see how it feels. But if it's not worth the pain, and you're planning on expanding your family, then pay more for the DC. I have 2 little ones, and the DC is perfect for getting them in and out.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
The Messiah
tacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomatrd99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomatrd99's Tacoma Gallery
I say wait. Never react till you have all the variables and constants. No point in jumping the gun. I'm someone who has to get things done right away while they're in front of me but many times it has bitten me in the arse. I'm slowly learning to wait.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
OH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shedOH-MAN is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Steve
OH-MAN's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Tony,
Get the MRI to make sure.
I have had a bit of work done on my knee.
The meniscus tear might get better from a scope cleanup.
I have heard of some working better on some people than others.

You are very young to be having these problems unless you damaged it in some kind of accident or sport type injury.

Get the least invasive procedure as possible, like the scope if it is a meniscus tear.

Good luck on the diagnosis and repair.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks for the input guys!

One other deciding factor is that even though I love my little Taco I am not really happy with it. Mainly because my family can't fit :/

When I bought my Taco, I didn't have time to look or wait for the right Taco to come around. It was middle of summer in Phoenix and I traded my car 2004 Sentra 2.5L manual in to get my girl a Toyota Camry. Sentra had major transmission issues, no A/C, bad wheel bearing, bad axle, etc... I had thought that I can survive in my girl's 2000 Plymouth Neon for a while. Neon was paid off and I liked not having car payment. Well few weeks after I trade my car in for the Camry. Neon starts having major over heating issues. I suspected head gasket. The neon also had 158k miles, transmission fluid and oil leak. Thats no good in the middle of AZ summer. I didn't want to pour money into a car which is worth nothing, plus I needed truck for work so I was forced to trade the Neon in fast for the first affordable truck which came around....

Now I just saw 06 DC with 87k miles for $16.9 LINK --> http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

That would be perfect... DC, auto and TRD off road package which means rear locker.

Seems like this time a year there are much more affordable Taco's out there...

You guys are most likely right. I will see what MRI and doctor's visit brings and go from there... I MIGHT look around and see what I could get on trade in and what would my payments be on DC TRD off road Taco... Little research never hurts, right?
Old 01-02-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Nom Nom Nom

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH-MAN View Post
Hey Tony,
Get the MRI to make sure.
I have had a bit of work done on my knee.
The meniscus tear might get better from a scope cleanup.
I have heard of some working better on some people than others.

You are very young to be having these problems unless you damaged it in some kind of accident or sport type injury.

Get the least invasive procedure as possible, like the scope if it is a meniscus tear.

Good luck on the diagnosis and repair.
Thanks Steve!

I played basketball for 7 years when i was young. Practice 5 times a week, tournaments on the weekend. That's what did it. Left leg is my "jump" leg so all jumps I would jump from my left leg...

I will fire pm your way...
Old 01-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #9
2009 taco is on a distinguished road

Name: juan
2009 taco's Tacoma Gallery
just wait it'll be fine. getting your knee scoped is a common small surgery. as long as you let it heal. i know many people who got knees scoped and they are 100%. good luck i hope it goes well.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #10
RZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shedRZRob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RZRob's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds to me like getting a double cab would solve all your problems. Go ahead and get what will make your life easiest. You'll find a way to pay.

RZ Rob
Old 01-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I broke my right tib and fib in a dirtbike crash, I was in the same boat as you. I also have an 05 manual, I rode out the storm and i'm glad I still have that truck today.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #12
buddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuddywh1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: 2nd Bomb Wing
buddywh1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post

1, Ride the storm out, see how surgery goes and decide then if I should keep my Taco or trade it in?

2, Trade the Taco in for auto Taco (I know I will need to upgrade sometimes to AC or DC because of my family needs, its just matter of time)..
If it's a question of whether your knee can take then it's best answered by your doctor and/or therapist post-op. Repetitive strain, even slight, is not to be taken lightly, it may at best delay healing. Or it may do nothing...it's something for a professional to advise you on.

If it's a question of dissatisfaction with your current truck 'cause it's not right for your situation then the question is kinda answered. Get what you need. Sure, you'll take a hit on first-title depreciation but that doesn't change just cause you trade earlier than later. The hit is what it is.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
OP, make sure you go to a legit sports orthopedic doctor - someone who does high volume, and then if you do PT go to one that works mostly with athletes...the higher the level the better.

i'm almost 8 months post-op ACL and have researched the crap out of this stuff since i initially tore it 3/28/10.

best of luck, and if you have a torn meniscus, depending on the size of the meniscectomy, or if they are going to sew it, or what...you could be able to drive anything relatively quickly. but i see you are not set on the truck anyway...regardless - good luck!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomatrd99 View Post
I say wait. Never react till you have all the variables and constants. No point in jumping the gun. I'm someone who has to get things done right away while they're in front of me but many times it has bitten me in the arse. I'm slowly learning to wait.
good advice...no decisions need to be made for a few months.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your knee trouble.
I had left knee surgery 4 times since 18 finally getting it replaced this summer. It always effected me both physically and mentally for I love being active outdoors. Its good you are talking about it because if you have never been through it, many don't understand. You will get through it, listen to your dr. & the instructions. U know trying to come back too fast may not help. Keeping your leg strong and flexible is key.

My cars/trucks were always either MT or AT.
My tacoma now is a DC auto and love it. I was driving 6 weeks out after the TKR & even drove the Honda thats manual though I was a little nervous at first. No problem now.

Waiting till you find out what the doc says will give you some time to think through the best way to get a truck that fits your family needs & your medical condition. Honestly, you will come back from this & maybe have a different perspective.

Wish you the best in your MRI & recovery. Let us know how you make out.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #16
TacoBaja is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: John
TacoBaja's Tacoma Gallery
Wait it out

White Taco - I agree that you ought to try to wait it out. I also have had 2 meniscus tear surgeries over many years. All from way too much running mileage. After each arthroscopic surgery I followed the doctor advice in spite of the fact I felt like resuming running within two weeks. I waited it, out doing the physical therapy, not rushing anything.

I think that waiting the 6 to 8 weeks was the important part for me, as after each I recovered well and today still run pretty high mileage at an old age.

John M
Old 01-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
saf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nicesaf023 is just really nice
Marines:
saf023's Tacoma Gallery
If you combine your family not fitting in your current Tacoma with your knee issue, trading on a double cab would be a no brainer or me. Yea, you'll take a hit trading or selling your current truck so soon but you can't take it with you...

The double cab is a great truck to drive and a great family vehicle. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #18
BUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZ5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
BUZZ5's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your current truck, get your knee scoped & you'll be fine. I had 3 tears in my miniscus of my left knee. Got MRI, had arthroscopic surgery, it couldn't be repaired so they cut out the damaged section. Now it's half the size, recovery was 6-8 weeks. It's so much better now than before. I don't have a manual shift, but driving one would be a non issue.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
bisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant futurebisdak10 has a brilliant future

bisdak10's Tacoma Gallery
here is my advice... as a nurse for a decade now. i suggest changing to AT. even if your knee will completely heal and go back to normal... in the long run with MT lets say after 10-20years i guarantee you it will start to creep up on you.
i see it all the time at work, 40+ yrs old for knee replacement...

a knee replacement is never a guarantee to a normal life (not for long)...

think of your family/kids.

just my .02 cents