Notices

Buying lifted Tacoma... questions

Old 01-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Maniac28 is on a distinguished road
Name: Ian
Maniac28's Tacoma Gallery
Buying lifted Tacoma... questions

Hi all,

So I would like to buy a Tacoma, been looking for a 4x4 TRD Off road, and I found one not far from me. It is an access cab with the manual transmission, 63k miles. Also, it has the following mods:

6" Pro Comp lift kit with coilovers (I believe this is the lift, but could be wrong)
KMC XD 18X9 wheels
Mickey Thompson Baja 325/60-18 tires

My concern is... I really don't want such a big lift, and such large and expensive (and noisy) tires on my truck. I'd rather have a stock truck with the 265 tires, stock wheels, and a small lift, or no lift.

My question is... how hard is all this to remove, and also, will I be able to sell the stuff easily? How hard will it be to go back to stock? I'm an OK wrench, but have no experience with lifted trucks. I don't know much about the value of used wheels, tires, and lifts.

Thanks for any advice. BTW, they are asking $15k for the truck.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
IIRC 6" drop-bracket lifts with these trucks require cutting the front crossmember of the frame...irreversible...
Old 01-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
I believe that in order to install that lift on a 4x4, the stock front crossmember must be cut. There is no going back to stock, unless you find a donor crossmember to weld back in.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
That is great info (but bad news for me). thanks.

I think it's a 6" lift... but I could be wrong, it might only be 4". I guess I could go over there and try to find out. It's at a dealer so they don't really know.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
ky taco
chopper is on a distinguished road

Name: chop
chopper's Tacoma Gallery
just buy one thats stock and u dont have to worry about it.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #6
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
I will trade you my stock 2007 toyota tacoma 6 5.5 lug rims for the kmc xds?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #7
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That is great info (but bad news for me). thanks.

I think it's a 6" lift... but I could be wrong, it might only be 4". I guess I could go over there and try to find out. It's at a dealer so they don't really know.
If it's a procomp it's either a 3" or 6".
Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
IIRC 6" drop-bracket lifts with these trucks require cutting the front crossmember of the frame...irreversible...
if the previous owner saved the part that he cut out it can be re welded back in...just not sure its worth the headache
Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #9
GETTN IT
th3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shedth3bigk0 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
th3bigk0's Tacoma Gallery
i would NEVER run a drop bracket lift,they do require cutting and are just shitty,keep looking
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Metallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to beholdMetallikatz3 is a splendid one to behold
Metallikatz3's Tacoma Gallery
You would also be inheriting all the problems like wear and tear on bearings and drive lines that are caused by lifts. I would walk away since you don't want the lift
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 PM   #11
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's as they all said. It's worth considering only if you want the lifted configuration.

It's nuts to buy a lifted truck with the intention of trying to reverse it back to stock, especially when there are already so many stock trucks out there on the market.

Bullwinkle J. Moose thinks you're impatient and have money burning a hole in your pocket. Impatience is always the enemy of the prospective car or truck buyer. Patience is your friend.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
You don't want to end up in this poor guy's shoes:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...alifornia.html
Old 01-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your advice. This is hugely helpful to me, someone who is new to this whole truck world.

I definitely won't be buying this truck for all the above reasons. I don't need one right now, I already have a 4x4 that's still running, and I can continue to look for a nice, unmolested Tacoma.

Products Discussed in this Thread