Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Doing my BHLM. Glue everywhere

Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

BarefootBandit's Tacoma Gallery
Doing my BHLM. Glue everywhere

I'm in the process of doing my BHLM. While taking the lens apart... the glue got all over the outside of the headlight housing.

How do I remove that stuff once it's done?

and how long should I wait to dry?
Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #3
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBandit View Post
I'm in the process of doing my BHLM. While taking the lens apart... the glue got all over the outside of the headlight housing.

How do I remove that stuff once it's done?

and how long should I wait to dry?
Wait for what to dry? You're removing as much of it as you can while its still hot/warm (w/o going too crazy and having a completely clean slate, although that wouldnt be bad if you did). trying to remove it when it hardens would be a bit time consuming and probably not even an option. Anyway, a hair dryer also works to heat up the adhesive to the point where its pliable and can be removed. Thats what I'd do for the lens cover. Use your fingers or something softer than then lense so you dont scratch it.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
BarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant futureBarefootBandit has a brilliant future

Too late. Messed everything up anyway.

I decided to spray it outside and I accidentally dropped it in the snow. Then I spray painted over the snow. Now it has dripping marks and a big circle where I aimed it at. All in the most noticeable part.

Ebay headlights here I come :[
Old 01-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
don't give up just yet, start over............
x2. Dont rush, you can strip it and start over if you'd like. Worst case, you try one or two more times, and if you still cant get it, chalk it up to experience.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
yamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamaha73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Royce
yamaha73's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ wat they said, dont give up yet, just strip all the paint and start fresh, worst case senario you gotta get new ones so keep trying.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #8

I just removed a lot of the paint with paint thinner and did it over. It's drying and looks perfect now.

Thanks for the support. Pics soon.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just removed a lot of the paint with paint thinner and did it over. It's drying and looks perfect now.

Thanks for the support. Pics soon.
thats what I'm talking about!!, way to get it done.!!!!!
looking foward to seeing pics.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
Wait for what to dry? You're removing as much of it as you can while its still hot/warm (w/o going too crazy and having a completely clean slate, although that wouldnt be bad if you did). trying to remove it when it hardens would be a bit time consuming and probably not even an option. Anyway, a hair dryer also works to heat up the adhesive to the point where its pliable and can be removed. Thats what I'd do for the lens cover. Use your fingers or something softer than then lense so you dont scratch it.
I thought he was talking about when he completed the mod and then installed it back in his truck.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #11

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
I thought he was talking about when he completed the mod and then installed it back in his truck.
No worries man. I knew what he meant b/c it happened on one of mine (albeit in a real small strand).
Old 01-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #12

Law Enforcement:
OP, nice work on sticking with it and getting it done!!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

I broke off the metal piece that holds in the headlight bulb. Broke off as in the tab that holds in that metal piece broke. It's unfix-able.

Is this really really bad?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #14

Specifically the metal thing that is highlighted in red here

Old 01-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
thats the clip for the headlight bulb, its fits right back in.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
thats the clip for the headlight bulb, its fits right back in.
Not when you broke off one of the plastic tabs that holds it. I have it sitting in my hand right now. A piece of metal, and a tab that should not be broken.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
Retrofit Club!
lookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shedlookylookitzadam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
lookylookitzadam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not when you broke off one of the plastic tabs that holds it. I have it sitting in my hand right now. A piece of metal, and a tab that should not be broken.

LOL, well that changes my answer. I would try and epoxy the plastic back on and then you can reinsert the clip. The bulb will not stay in otherwise, unless you wanna fashion something else up to hold the bulb.

You could also do a true HID retro, you dont need those clips then, the new projectors would have their own. :thumbup:
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #18

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
I broke off the metal piece that holds in the headlight bulb. Broke off as in the tab that holds in that metal piece broke. It's unfix-able.

Is this really really bad?
Time for retros!! lol. kidding.. dont try that. umm, yea, I'd say that might be bad b/c that holds the bulb steady. You might need those ebay lights now
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #19

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookylookitzadam View Post
LOL, well that changes my answer. I would try and epoxy the plastic back on and then you can reinsert the clip. The bulb will not stay in otherwise, unless you wanna fashion something else up to hold the bulb.

You could also do a true HID retro, you dont need those clips then, the new projectors would have their own. :thumbup:
Beat me to the retro comment

Anyway, yea, try some of that 5 minute plastic epoxy found at pep boys, etc. I think thats your only option and I'm not even 100% sure that it'll hold b/c that metal tab does require a bit of pressure to lock in place. But if 6 or 7 bux does the trick, its better than 100+
Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
Thank God this guy is not a firefighter in my city....