Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

PADDLE SHIFT?

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
PADDLE SHIFT?

Hey does anyone know anyone who has modified their truck to a "paddle shift"? Im assuming this is a rediculously expensive alternative but seems like it would be fun as hell even for OR.

The only info I can see to start is you need a sequential gearbox, which allows the shifting of the tranny without the use of a clutch. Dont know if anything like this even exists for the 4.0L. Chime in let me know what you guys think. if you guys know any info post it please.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Di Trut has a spectacular aura aboutDi Trut has a spectacular aura about

Di Trut's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's a waste of time to even think about. Not practical.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #5
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
My brothers land rover has that, he said it was awesome fun for about a week. now he never uses it.

its automatic or paddle shift depending on what mode you are in.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have a 6spd so It'll be used all the time. Plus i think the throw of the shifter is too long stock. plus the clutch cuts alot of time off your accelleration speed. Im no racer but i do like going faster. plus I think it would be easier and safer to keep both hands on the wheel while hauling ass thru the desert.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
get a short throw shifter
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
Trucker
503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed503TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
503TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
I have a 6spd so It'll be used all the time. Plus i think the throw of the shifter is too long stock. plus the clutch cuts alot of time off your accelleration speed. Im no racer but i do like going faster. plus I think it would be easier and safer to keep both hands on the wheel while hauling ass thru the desert.
Couldn't you just get the TRD quick shifter then?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #9

Yeah I could and thats probably the option ill go with but I thought this would be a fun thread. Im not expecting it will be practical at all just thrpwing it out there to see what you guys knew about it.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
mwells32 will become famous soon enoughmwells32 will become famous soon enough
mwells32's Tacoma Gallery
This is actually an interesting thread. I was at the oil change shop the other day and read a car mag. There was an article that traditional manual shifters are becoming obsolete. IIRC Ferrari isn't offering one anymore. The manual shift models were all paddle shifters. If that is the case, then how long before we see them in all manual shift applications? If they are already in the import style racers like subarus, then I don't think it will be long before we have it in a truck.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #11
Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity
easyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shedeasyeatlanta is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
easyeatlanta's Tacoma Gallery
get the urd short throw it shortens the shift very substantially and if you ever get good at driving you can work a clutch just a fast
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #12

It is tempting to try out. maybe not on my truck but a cheeper vehicle. all it seems like you need to do is change the gearbox to a sequential and then install the controls. theres got to be more involved. If they offer it in the land rover im wondering if that gearbox will bolt to the 4.0L. if thats the case thats half the battle.