Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear windows ice up

Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
albertaTRD is on a distinguished road
albertaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Rear windows ice up

2008 quad cab

The heat system doesn't seem to flow enough air across the rear windows.

On long trips in cold weather my rear side windows will ice up completely when travelling with 4 people.

Cab temperature is comfortable for everyone but windows get a thick crust of ice.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #2
"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed"OLYMPIC VIEW" is one of the sharper tools in the shed

"OLYMPIC VIEW"'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaTRD View Post
2008 quad cab

On long trips in cold weather my rear side windows will ice up completely when travelling with 4 people.

Cab temperature is comfortable for everyone but windows get a thick crust of ice.

I've experienced thin layer of ice when in Eastern WA...make sure your driver/passenger face vents are wide open and directed toward front and rear side windows when using front defroster setting on ventilation system, if you use floor/defrost setting you will get less airflow from those two vents...when fan is at maximum speed they provide plenty of hot air to defrost side windows in truck. Also apply Rain-X to side windows it will keep ice from building up as well...it's a hell of a lot colder up where you are...good luck!!
Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you are using outside air selection.

inside air keeps in the moisture, and hense freeze's on windows
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Two great suggestions ^^^
I have trouble with the defrost too. Even using the outside air setting which is what I use all the time except in the summer w/ the AC.
I have tried many different combos & find it definitely changes with the humidity &/or how many passengers I have.
The 2GEN's set up for defrost is probably the hardest toyota I have I had to work with.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaTRD View Post
2008 quad cab

So, you're talking about frost on the inside of the window? I don't have that many passengers in my truck alot. Normally in the back seat is my 5yo son and I never had that problem. I can only suggest like the others said is outside air only or just run the defrost. I have had them fog up sometimes if there is snow on the window, but not freeze like that. The fog normally goes away also when the cab temp goes up and melts the snow off those windows.