1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear windows ice up

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by albertaTRD, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Jan 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM
    albertaTRD

albertaTRD [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD
    2008 quad cab

The heat system doesn't seem to flow enough air across the rear windows.

On long trips in cold weather my rear side windows will ice up completely when travelling with 4 people.

Cab temperature is comfortable for everyone but windows get a thick crust of ice.

Anyone else experienced this?

2. Jan 3, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    "OLYMPIC VIEW"

"OLYMPIC VIEW" Well-Known Member

Member:
    WHIDBEY ISLAND, WA
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD SPORT D/C LB...1987 SR-5 4WD XCAB
    I've experienced thin layer of ice when in Eastern WA...make sure your driver/passenger face vents are wide open and directed toward front and rear side windows when using front defroster setting on ventilation system, if you use floor/defrost setting you will get less airflow from those two vents...when fan is at maximum speed they provide plenty of hot air to defrost side windows in truck. Also apply Rain-X to side windows it will keep ice from building up as well...it's a hell of a lot colder up where you are...good luck!!

3. Jan 3, 2011 at 10:35 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    make sure you are using outside air selection.

inside air keeps in the moisture, and hense freeze's on windows

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    Two great suggestions ^^^
    I have trouble with the defrost too. Even using the outside air setting which is what I use all the time except in the summer w/ the AC.
    I have tried many different combos & find it definitely changes with the humidity &/or how many passengers I have.
    The 2GEN's set up for defrost is probably the hardest toyota I have I had to work with.

5. Jan 4, 2011 at 11:12 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    So, you're talking about frost on the inside of the window? I don't have that many passengers in my truck alot. Normally in the back seat is my 5yo son and I never had that problem. I can only suggest like the others said is outside air only or just run the defrost. I have had them fog up sometimes if there is snow on the window, but not freeze like that. The fog normally goes away also when the cab temp goes up and melts the snow off those windows.

Products Discussed in

To Top