1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bedside fender flare moulding.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TRDsport253, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:19 AM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    So yesterday I went to the local car wash to rinse my truck, mainly rinsing out the tube step from mud and dirt. I had 5 minute on the timer so I decided to spray all over. I come across this stubborn stain right on the right bedside fender flare. The stain wouldn't come off so I sprayed closer with the high pressure washer and ended up ruining the weather stripping/black moulding that's between the flare and body panel. So went to Toyota and bought a brand new one and that darn thing costed $20+. So my question to you guys is am I too anal about this? I'm thinking about returning it and just leave it the way it is as it look way to difficult for me to replace. I actually might end up doing more damage than I bargain for if I attempt the install. I can take some picture of what I'm talking about. Let me know if it bug the shit out of you if something like this would happen to your truck.

2. Jan 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Mine came off years ago. Now I roll fender-flareless and will never go back. I even paid the $2.50 per clip to put my flares back on and I liked the looks so much I just left em off. The stealerships prices are outragious. Eff that.

3. Jan 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    I think I would have to see it, but something like this would drive me nuts too. I'm anal about things like that, even little things. I wouldn't think that would come off that easy. Did it tear away from it? Did it completely come off or just part of it?

4. Jan 4, 2011 at 1:54 PM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
  5. Jan 5, 2011 at 4:43 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    Kind of hard to see, I can't zoom in here at work. That looks pretty small. Maybe keep the molding since you already have it. And maybe try to fix that small spot with a little glue or something. I'm guessing if you take off the whole flare, that wouldn't be hard to change.

6. Jan 5, 2011 at 4:49 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    The OP is talking about the 2nd Gen Taco. On our trucks the fender flare is more pronounced than on the 1st Gen. I think it would look wrong a 2nd Gen, our flares take up half the fender; you'd have to put 35's on it to take up the space and that would cost more than the $20 the OP spent on the molding seal.

To the OP, I don't think you're wrong for wanting to fix the molding. In fact I think $20 is sort of cheap to fix the issue, I'm surprised that Toyota didn't make it part of the flare itself which woulf of cost you over $200 to fix.

7. Jan 5, 2011 at 5:07 AM
    TRDsport253

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    is there a writeup anywhere on how to remove the bedside fender flare?

8. Jan 5, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    daggertats

daggertats Well-Known Member

Member:
    arden nc
    Vehicle:
    2010 tacoma 4x4 reg cab
    undercover tonneau ,bug deflector, removal of all tacoma emblems added a set of component speakers behind the rear seat egr in channel window visors
    that would bug me but im like that. id probably replace it

9. Jan 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    The easiest way i found id to remove the mudflap, then the 4 ( i believe) screws underneath the flare. Then..... the hard part is not breaking the cheap plastic clips that hold the flare on. So, what I did was unscrew the little black cubby boxes in the bed, and get behind the flare so you can pop the clips out without breaking them or bending the bedisde. Probably easier to just leave it as is.

10. Jul 29, 2013 at 5:25 PM
    Eltacos

Eltacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    BFE CA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road
    LED conversion on every accessible bulb, TRD exhaust (dealership threw in for free along with the Blu-Logic).
    Do you have a part number on that weather strip? I am trying to google the part. I had to buy a replacement front passenger fender flare and it didn't come with clips or the weather strip.

11. Jul 29, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I'm guessing since you went and bought a new strip that you couldn't just mash the messed up portion back into place? That pic makes the damage look extremely small.

Products Discussed in

To Top