Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Got Salt!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Got Salt!!!!

I hope my recent paint job is holding up on on my frame. It was quiet last night, I'm hoping it was the Chevy down the street i heard rusting!!! and not my frame.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #2
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
wash it asap. thats gonna eat up your paint!!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #3
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
Ha, yeah I recently sprayed mine with some shit to keep the salt off the undercarrige. I HATE salt!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
What did you paint it with? The frame on the truck I got a few months back was really clean so I fogged it with 2 coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator. My last 05 was a complete mess after 2 winters. I used Rust Bullet blackshell on that one and it never got any worse.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
Middle-Aged Member
05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed05Moose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
05Moose's Tacoma Gallery
I guess there are a few advantages to living in Calif (okay, maybe only one). On our highways, they use Ice Slicer instead. While our vehicles and roads still turn white, it's good to know it doesn't eat steel like salt.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah you better spray that stuff off with a power washer.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I did guys, that was taken pulling into the car wash it was really cold for a few weeks and I was able to get it off this week. Its just a disadvantage living in the northeast.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
What did you paint it with? The frame on the truck I got a few months back was really clean so I fogged it with 2 coats of Eastwood rust encapsulator. My last 05 was a complete mess after 2 winters. I used Rust Bullet blackshell on that one and it never got any worse.

I do it twice a year. Every spring I will get under there with my power drill and wire wheels, Then spray the frame with rustoleum flat black. Then I hit it again in the fall before winter. Its all I can do.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Toyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Truck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Toyota Truck's Tacoma Gallery
I am so glad that I don't live in the north. The only time I worry about salt is when I go to the beach, but usually I am do busy fishin to really worry about lol
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMA TRD View Post
I do it twice a year. Every spring I will get under there with my power drill and wire wheels, Then spray the frame with rustoleum flat black. Then I hit it again in the fall before winter. Its all I can do.
If you use a better product you may not ever have to touch it again. I used the eastwood paint this time around because it's specifically a chassis paint and it's not gloss like the Rust bullet I used on my last truck. But after 3 New England winters the frame on my last truck looked fine after painting it with the rust bullet. My brother in law's frame on his 05 (untouched since new) looks like it's been sitting next to the titanic on the ocean floor.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
i have a temperature adjustable softened water setup in my garage that i use to rinse the truck. we got pounded last week with 20" of snow and they killed the roads with chemicals. i rinsed as much as possible all week, underneath, etc. the only downside is it makes for an icy driveway, but nothing a trip to the beach for a bag of sand and an empty coffee can won't solve.

the only downside to rinsing so much is it'll water spot no matter how soft the water is, but it's better than having road chemicals dwell. and it's nothing that a porter cable polisher and optimum poli-seal can't take care of. i'd hate to live up here without such a setup, especially if i were in northeast PA like you OP.

i'm curious to see how long the underside will last since not only am i in the northeast, but i'm a couple minutes from the ocean. i am very diligent with cleaning so i hope it'll extend some.

not bad for a snow storm and a week's worth of road chemicals, eh?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oswego View Post
Ditch the wire wheels/drill and get a grinder with a flap paddle. About 1000% faster.

Flat paint holds more dirt and salt then gloss pain and gloss is easier to clean.

I just did mine a couple weeks ago

I will try those discs... I guess your right on the paint too.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #13
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
these look intriguing. i'm sure there is info about 'em on this board but this is the first thread that made me think about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Andy2010 is on a distinguished road
Name: Andy
Andy2010's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85GT 79FJ40 View Post
I used some stuff called, "Fluid Film". It's a Lanolin based product that creates a wet barrier between the frame and salt. It's pretty cheap too, like 10 bucks an aerosol can. I used almost 2 cans on my truck. I got it from "The Rust Store" website.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #15
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Thats the one bad thing about winter. The salt! Mine looks like OP's alot. I try to rinse it off as much as I can, but I have to do mine at the do-it- yourself place, for one thing I don't want turn my driveway into an ice rink cause I normally have to do it when its cold and below freezing. Although I like the high pressure hose to blast that shit away. I do highway driving on my way to work everyday, and if there is even a hint of snow, they load it up with salt! My truck looks white alot in the winter!