Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you ever drive a bit too hard in the hopes...?

View Poll Results: Do you thrash on your rig hoping to break something so you can "upgrade" it?
Never 187 77.27%
My Id makes me do it. 5 2.07%
My Ego makes me do it. 10 4.13%
My Superego won't let me have any fun. 9 3.72%
subconciously... wait, I'm aware of it. 23 9.50%
All the f-n time!!! 18 7.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #21
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJester243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Jester243's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
Potholes and road construction can only cycle the suspension so much.

It is time to move out west then.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #22
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
What ever happened to upgrading, then selling the factory parts?
Old 01-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #23
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I must say I've been"looking" to get in a low speed rear end collision to replace the bumper I dented jackknifing a trailer. Not like I'm trying to cause a wreck, just secretly hoping someone does a little damage to justify a new one (on their insurance )
Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
So if anyone wants a new T case and trans just do a neutral drop while going into 4wd low.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 AM   #25
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
^ I'd think that would do more damage to the differentials than the transmission.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:25 AM   #26
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
^ I'd think that would do more damage to the differentials than the transmission.
You are thinking all wrong. Think upgrade!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #27
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I understand where you're coming from.

I don't do it. If I ever caught myself doing it, I'd deliberately back off.

The root of the issue isn't freudian, it's financial. You have some financial constraints, either a budget, or a partner, or just a lack of money in the 'ol checking account that put a check on your ability to make upgrades you'd otherwise like to make.

If you didn't, you'd just simply go ahead and make the upgrade without waiting for breakage first.

Proceed with caution here. You may find what you're looking for.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #28
Banned
I will admit I did once. I heard what I thought was the rear end going out on my Ranger one day on the way to work. I figured it is on it's way out so might as well destroy it. I started launching hard at every light. I get to work and it turns out to be loose lug nuts. I damaged the rim and the wheel studs be trying to break what I thought was a bad diff. But if everything is working great then I see no reason to break something just for an upgrade.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
phoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shedphoneguy44 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Dennis
phoneguy44's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to phoneguy44
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
So if anyone wants a new T case and trans just do a neutral drop while going into 4wd low.
Whipper, I'm new to the 4wd world so tis the reason for the question.
Please tell me what that is so I dont do it ! You make is sound really really bad.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #30
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoneguy44 View Post
Whipper, I'm new to the 4wd world so tis the reason for the question.
Please tell me what that is so I dont do it ! You make is sound really really bad.
Some guys that are trying desperately to be cool will do anything to spin the tires on their vehicle. A neutral drop is when you rev the engine up in neutral then slap it into drive. This causes the wheels to spin but it also causes damage to your trans. The case can lag a bit when going into low and some shift into gear too early and grinding gears is the result. This can cause damage in the long run. The best thing you can do when using 4wd is to wait until everything locks in before you gas it.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #31
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
What's wrong with me? hmmm... I am an engineer? I have "the knack"? I'm not a soccer-mom ?

Seriously though, it isn't like I go out trying to break something. But there have been many occasions when I was out wheeling and the thought, "gee, if this breaks, I can upgrade and improve it!" crossed my mind.

Personally.........I don't need an excuse to upgrade my stuff. You're far better off upgrading your stuff before it breaks and selling the used parts that are still good.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #33
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
This is a stupid thread
Yup
Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #34
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Personally.........I don't need an excuse to upgrade my stuff. You're far better off upgrading your stuff before it breaks and selling the used parts that are still good.
I agree, but there is nothing wrong with using the truck in it's stock form, then finding the weak points along the way and replace those parts, rather than just upgrade parts that may not actually need upgrading. I guess it kinda depends on the circumstances.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #35
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWhite13 View Post
I agree, but there is nothing wrong with using the truck in it's stock form, then finding the weak points along the way and replace those parts, rather than just upgrade parts that may not actually need upgrading. I guess it kinda depends on the circumstances.
For the Record, I haven't actually broken anything on my truck yet... and it isn't exactly stock.

Upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, bumpers, rock sliders, exhaust, leather interior, stereo, lighting, winch,. nav, etc, etc

Old 01-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #36
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm too broke. I live vicariously through you guys. So keep modding and posting pics.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #37
V-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shedV-TRAIN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

V-TRAIN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
For the Record, I haven't actually broken anything on my truck yet... and it isn't exactly stock.

Upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, bumpers, rock sliders, exhaust, leather interior, stereo, lighting, winch,. nav, etc, etc

lol, that is a funny picture. so what are you trying to break so you can fix (upgrade) it anyways.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 AM   #38
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
I'm too broke. I live vicariously through you guys. So keep modding and posting pics.
x2
Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #39
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, half of NJ is a wasteland... but I don't think hammering around Elizabeth counts as desert racing time .
Where in Eliz?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #40
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
X2..We are all grownups..If you can upgrade, just do it. Why would you need an 'excuse' to make that decision or get permission from a girlfriend or wife to upgrade your truck. As long as the bills are paid and family taken cared of, any excess play money can be disposed of to your liking.