Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Do you ever drive a bit too hard in the hopes...?

View Poll Results: Do you thrash on your rig hoping to break something so you can "upgrade" it?
Never 187 77.27%
My Id makes me do it. 5 2.07%
My Ego makes me do it. 10 4.13%
My Superego won't let me have any fun. 9 3.72%
subconciously... wait, I'm aware of it. 23 9.50%
All the f-n time!!! 18 7.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #41
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
For the Record, I haven't actually broken anything on my truck yet... and it isn't exactly stock.

Upgraded wheels, tires, suspension, bumpers, rock sliders, exhaust, leather interior, stereo, lighting, winch,. nav, etc, etc

NICE Pic, had to tweek something on the sudden stop or did you just ease into that hole

Did you break your nuts trying to get that thing out..
Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #42
Hawaiitaco is on a distinguished road

Hawaiitaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattapunk View Post
X2..We are all grownups..If you can upgrade, just do it. Why would you need an 'excuse' to make that decision or get permission from a girlfriend or wife to upgrade your truck. As long as the bills are paid and family taken cared of, any excess play money can be disposed of to your liking.
agreed.... if you really want a specific upgrade...why not just sell the part you want to upgrade and put it towards the new part instead of breaking it?...doesnt make sense..plus you can pick the part...instead of breaking something that you wouldnt normally upgrade...
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #43
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWhite13 View Post
I agree, but there is nothing wrong with using the truck in it's stock form, then finding the weak points along the way and replace those parts, rather than just upgrade parts that may not actually need upgrading. I guess it kinda depends on the circumstances.
That's OK too. But there's a mindset of operation right? especially if you're a test engineer which the OP claims to be.

Mechanical parts will usually send you various clues when they're within their tolerances. They'll send different clues when they're approaching the limit. Then POP! Bang! Pow! or Crunch! and you broke something.

It can happen that you inadvertently push past the limits and cause breakage. But this thread is about *deliberately* pushing past those initial warnings, in a deliberate attempt to get to the POP, as opposed to respecting your equipment for what it is, and trying to use it within its limits.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #44
Abron Cabron
NewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewMexiTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic; Ski Patrol; River Guide
Name: Abraham
NewMexiTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
I'm too broke. I live vicariously through you guys. So keep modding and posting pics.
lol. that about sums it up... new baby, and its ski season, which is followed by kayaking season, (anytime its not frozen.) there is always a list of necesssities..imean gear... to buy. I do my best to not break a damn thing ever.
but I understand the desire to upgrade via testing. were I single, and/or independantly wealthy. but then I would prolly get an old FJ for romping.
This truck is a luxury vehicle to me. too nice to trash.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #45
PWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPWhite13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Prescott
PWhite13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
That's OK too. But there's a mindset of operation right? especially if you're a test engineer which the OP claims to be.

Mechanical parts will usually send you various clues when they're within their tolerances. They'll send different clues when they're approaching the limit. Then POP! Bang! Pow! or Crunch! and you broke something.

It can happen that you inadvertently push past the limits and cause breakage. But this thread is about *deliberately* pushing past those initial warnings, in a deliberate attempt to get to the POP, as opposed to respecting your equipment for what it is, and trying to use it within its limits.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to deliberately break parts. I guess I just meant that some people go way overboard in replacing a bunch of stuff on their trucks, that they might not even have had to change.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #46
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Anyone who does that...is an absolute MORON!!!

Someone take the keys from this guy...TACOMA ABUSE will not be tolerated!!

Seriously...wake the hell up. What's wrong with you?
My thoughts exactly. Even when I was young, dumb, and broke I never beat on stuff intending to break it.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:06 PM   #48
kessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to beholdkessler89 is a splendid one to behold

kessler89's Tacoma Gallery
Not much, can't afford the gas
Old 01-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #49
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
I personally havent, but there have been times where Ive wished people would hit me so i could get some after market bumpers.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #50
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I know how this sounds, but I'm waiting for some dipshit to rearend me and buy me a Relentless Fab rear bumper... Jacksonville drivers are soo shitty it's just a matter of time.

Then again, I've been "bumped" nearly 10 times in my truck and never had any damge. Because of this my truck has been dubbed the Unkillable Monster.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #51
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos View Post
I know how this sounds, but I'm waiting for some dipshit to rearend me and buy me a Relentless Fab rear bumper... Jacksonville drivers are soo shitty it's just a matter of time.

Then again, I've been "bumped" nearly 10 times in my truck and never had any damge. Because of this my truck has been dubbed the Unkillable Monster.
I don't see any problem with what you are saying , you aren't trying to break anything , but you are realistically resigned to the fact that some retard is going to rear end you eventually and have pro-actively researched an aftermarket upgrade ,
Old 01-07-2011, 11:36 PM   #52
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
Way too much Freud for most to answer your question.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Wait .. what?!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #53
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
NICE Pic, had to tweek something on the sudden stop or did you just ease into that hole

Did you break your nuts trying to get that thing out..
That was my second crossing through that ditch. The 1st was smooth sailing. I was coming back through (SLOW) and started sinking bad and the earth just swallowed her up.

I ran my winch out to a big tree about 60' away. I ran the line about 10' up to get a better pull angle and pulled myself right out. I was back in the cab driving away in under 10 minutes. Not too bad for the pouring rain.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:51 AM   #54
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Wait .. what?!
and you my friend, obviously like smoking the cock. I mean cigars.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #55
0wrx2 is on a distinguished road
0wrx2's Tacoma Gallery
only tires! i did my best to cook the stock tires to justify getting my all terrains. ill never brake anything else purposely...

...maybe the stock speakers.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:21 PM   #56
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Not gonna lie, my past roadtrip to CO and my next one I was thinking; you know, if I happen to cream a deer, and hopefully just a little bit don't need the fam getting hurt, but if I did.....I could probably get a new bumper from Relentless
Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #57
Yota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shedYota Newb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryan
Yota Newb's Tacoma Gallery
I don't off road mine, just a 5 lugger, but I am heavy on the pedal a lot. I'm 22 and have owned over 10 vehicles and I had a lead foot in all of them. Didn't matter if it was a little 4cyl or a V8, I drive vehicles hard. I keep up the maintenance, and don't do anything crazy like red line the vehicle. I can't say why I do it. It's not to impress anyone because I do it all the time whether people are around or not...I just like horse power, no matter what form it's in.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #58
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, my TRD CAI sounds too vicious, yet the Taco doesn't pull hard enough when it starts howling. So I just avoid it all together to avoid looking like a fool.

As for potholes and speed bumps, I'm a little more rougher, but nothing crazy.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #59
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Everytime I go out to the dunes I just thrash the truck, I go over whoops as fast as I can, I hit jumps, I go through narrow trails, etc... I almost rolled the tacoma few days ago while wheeling. I have not broken anything yet, but I can see my stock springs going out soon. lol
Old 01-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #60
TacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura aboutTacomaMan07 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chandler
TacomaMan07's Tacoma Gallery
Well Im always up on getting these Dunlaps wore down more! Dear mom, New tires please. haha