Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone WIth Paint Chip Problems?

Old 08-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #1
Rockstar2448 is on a distinguished road

Rockstar2448's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar2448
Unhappy Anyone WIth Paint Chip Problems?

I'm driving a 2005 Indigo Ink DC TRD Sport that was bought brand new. I ran the factory wheels and tires until just a couple of months ago. I even left the factory mud flaps on, and the truck hasn't been off-road, at least not yet. Here's what the rear quarter panels look like, just in front of the rear wheels..... Anyone else notice this sort of paint chipping on their trucks? It's not much that can be done with it now, except new paint, or color coded Line-X, which I am considering now that they can match paint colors. It's just a bummer to see it all chipped up just from normal highway use and factory wheel/tire combo.

Anyone WIth Paint Chip Problems?-img_5009.jpg
Old 08-20-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
A guy I know who used to own a garage nearbye has an 05 - and he bought it new. His paint chip problem was really bad and he noticed it almost immediately less than a year of owning the truck. I'm not sure of the entire details - but he did get toyota to fix it.

He's since moved and trying to sell his shop...so I have no idea how to get a hold of him.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
FTL911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
FTL911's Tacoma Gallery
I know a guy with an 06 Dbl cap who appears to have painted areas that were contaminated prior to paint. The areas look like small blistering in areas on the plastic bumper cover, and . The fact that the same blistering which is on the plastic bumper cover; is also on the top portion of the right rear door, is what led me to conclude potential surface contamination prior to paint. This is opposed to suspect initial signs of rust blistering from the spot the top right rear door, which is a painted metal surface. Anyone else experienced this condition on their Taco?

P.S. Truck build location was Mexico, as opposed to the various sites in the US, Canada, or Japan. Could be a potential QA issue in the paint process, or just shear lack of attention to detail; which could have led to an inadvertent surface contamination prior to paint???
Old 01-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future85GT 79FJ40 has a brilliant future
Name: Ken
85GT 79FJ40's Tacoma Gallery
Did you just notice this or has it been this way a while? I have the same year and same color truck with 116k and mines not like that. But it did have some tube steps on it which could have helped. The 05 access cab I just sold wasn't like that either and it had 102k on it. However just about every toyota truck I had before the last 2 05 Tacomas has had wider aftermarket wheels/tires on them. Even with mudflaps the paint would get pretty torn up right in front of the rear wheels pretty quick. My father actually bought the lease out on the 98 tacoma I had and it's had 15x8 aftermarket wheels on it since about 1500 miles. There is NO paint in this area at all, and quite a bit is gone along the rockers now too. Right down to the primer. Oddly enough it hasn't rusted yet.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Dadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of lightDadic 78 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Fil
Dadic 78's Tacoma Gallery
If you do get it repainted, you could always put some 3M film on there. That stuff is TOUGH, and will keep your box-side from chipping in the future.

Honestly though, it seems odd that your box side is so badly chipped. Is your box centered properly?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
grist is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
grist's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar2448 View Post
I'm driving a 2005 Indigo Ink DC TRD Sport that was bought brand new. I ran the factory wheels and tires until just a couple of months ago. I even left the factory mud flaps on, and the truck hasn't been off-road, at least not yet. Here's what the rear quarter panels look like, just in front of the rear wheels..... Anyone else notice this sort of paint chipping on their trucks? It's not much that can be done with it now, except new paint, or color coded Line-X, which I am considering now that they can match paint colors. It's just a bummer to see it all chipped up just from normal highway use and factory wheel/tire combo.

Attachment 8367
I blame it on sand like particles from the roadway. Sort of like a sand blasting. It would be much worse without the mudflaps. I am getting OEM boards to try to cut down on it. I hope it does.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed=JSG= is one of the sharper tools in the shed
=JSG='s Tacoma Gallery
that is why u dont remove mud guards
Old 01-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
silvr07taco is on a distinguished road

silvr07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTL911 View Post
I know a guy with an 06 Dbl cap who appears to have painted areas that were contaminated prior to paint. The areas look like small blistering in areas on the plastic bumper cover, and . The fact that the same blistering which is on the plastic bumper cover; is also on the top portion of the right rear door, is what led me to conclude potential surface contamination prior to paint. This is opposed to suspect initial signs of rust blistering from the spot the top right rear door, which is a painted metal surface. Anyone else experienced this condition on their Taco?

P.S. Truck build location was Mexico, as opposed to the various sites in the US, Canada, or Japan. Could be a potential QA issue in the paint process, or just shear lack of attention to detail; which could have led to an inadvertent surface contamination prior to paint???

I have blisters all over my truck, that looks like paint cracking from below the surface, but it had nothing to do with the prep of the paint surface, its the birds around my house that target the truck on extremely hot summer days, and there droppings eat the paint away, especially since i cannot see the roof of my truck, and when i washed my truck(i wash it every week), i noticed the bird droppings, after i washed them off, i noticed the paint looked like dry skin, with cracks..i tried to buff it out, didn't work. slowly it started turning white around the area, and i cant get it to go away!

Anyways thats probably nothing to do with your issue, just saying that it could happen. hope you find a solution...
Old 01-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #9
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Had that same thing on all my cars when I lived "up north". One trip with my 99 taco up through the rockies made my truck look like that when I was in texas.

High speed gravel will do that.. Its a suck.

THat's why the super heavy chip guard all down the side of the truck and sticker type on the wheel wells.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 AM   #11
Me l've got brains.
island808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisland808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jedediah
island808's Tacoma Gallery
Not a toyota thing. They're all like that. Different places depending on the shape of the car.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:43 AM   #13
Chris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shedChris(NJ) is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Chris
Chris(NJ)'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by grist View Post
I blame it on sand like particles from the roadway. Sort of like a sand blasting. It would be much worse without the mudflaps. I am getting OEM boards to try to cut down on it. I hope it does.
Exactly. That doesnt look like paint "chipping" to me at all. Just looks like any other car thats driven at highway speeds and has a fender that sticks out a little. Hell, you should see how my M3 looks! Maybe worse than that.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
Jigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shedJigzor is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jigzor's Tacoma Gallery
My Subaru Legacy looked awful after 2 winter seasons in NEPA. Looked like I took sand paper to the paint. Chalk it up to the winter months.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
ryanr623 is on a distinguished road
ryanr623's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone use liquid glass wax?..... my detailer told me to buy it, because after multiple coats it actually hardens the clear coat. They don't sell it or use it, so i tended to believe him. Supposedly it will help chip resistance and sap/bird poop staining.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #16
Large "member"
NC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC15TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC15TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, gonna get a price on getting it painted this spring, then covered with 3m tape
Old 01-17-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
MiG-21 superfan
builthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuilthatch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony Mandarich
builthatch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanr623 View Post
Anyone use liquid glass wax?..... my detailer told me to buy it, because after multiple coats it actually hardens the clear coat. They don't sell it or use it, so i tended to believe him. Supposedly it will help chip resistance and sap/bird poop staining.
this is the product by liquid glass he was most likely talking about - http://www.autogeek.net/liquid-glass-legend.html

also, a professional product called Opti-Coat is a cured sealant that actually adds appreciable durability to the clear coat. the paint needs to be prepared by a professional-quality detailer before application though because once applied, it's on there for good.

all in all a quality multi-piece "bra" kit by 3m or ventureshield is probably the best bet though.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah...can't quit....They are so yummy. thought about switching to Cheese Doodles.. but those paint chips are too damm good.

Seriously though....Thats why I have always bought Silver trucks. Can't see shyte on them.
C
And a couple of black cars taught me to go back to silver....
Old 01-17-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
FTL911 is on a distinguished road

Name: Paul
FTL911's Tacoma Gallery
My noted paint issue has nothing to do with road debris as the culprit. While it could be bird shit, I suspect that is not the case. Both of my locations are to remote for road debris, and as I stated, it appears to be poor paint prep from the factory.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM   #20
TACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMA TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tom
TACOMA TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem on my 07 Indigo. I just had the hood and front bumber re-sprayed.