LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2008 TRD PreRunner 3" Lift fit 285/75/16 on STOCK Rims?

Old 01-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
TRD Nut!
trdtaco08 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
trdtaco08's Tacoma Gallery
2008 TRD PreRunner 3" Lift fit 285/75/16 on STOCK Rims?

I own a 2008 Tacoma PreRunner Quad Cab. It has the TRD Off-Road stock suspension with Bilstein Shocks, etc. Also its the Rugged Trail Baja Package (Stock black 6-Spoke wheels with 265/70/16 BFG Rugged Trail Tires). I need some help from all you experts out there. I've been going from thread to thread and forum to forum and I'm so CONFUSED! lol So here it goes:

Can I fit 285/75/16 on my stock 7" wide rim or no?

If so what 3" Lift or Leveling Kit would I need to fit these 32.83" Tires so they don't rub? (I don't mind losing the front mud flaps or a little cutting of plastic, however don't want to go all out and start replacing shocks, uca,etc.)

Revtek kit any good? Any other suggestions? All I want is the truck to look a little more aggressive that and the JUNK BFG tires are finished after about 30,000 miles!!! Any Help would be greatly appreciated you guys know everything it seems! Thanks, Brandon!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:15 AM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

There are plenty of people on here running 285/75/16 on stock rims. You will need the 3" lift you mentioned, and 1.25" wheel spacers (I recommend spidertrax) to do so. You will also have to trim some plastic and possible chop the cab mount.

Spacer lifts are junk. For $300, you can bilstein 5100's for the front and an add a leaf for the back. The bilsteins go up to 2.5" of lift, which, in general, is the max you can go without needing new UCA's.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdtaco08 View Post
Why are the spacer lifts "junk"? Just curious cuz it seems a lot of people use them. You wouldn't know what kind of Bilsteins come stock on the truck would you KPT?
The stock bilsteins are known as Bilstein HD's.

Here's some info on spacers from Camburgs website. They sum it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camburg
We get asked this question all the time. “Why are most spacer lifts be bad”? Well spacer lifts can cause a few problems and cost you big dollars to fix. First there are a few different kinds of spacer lifts, there is the kind that just bolts on the top of the existing shock that spaces it down to give lift. The problem that can come from running this kind of spacer is the shock will now be allowed to droop to far downward causing binding and damage to ball joints, 4×4 axle cv’s, and steering joints. The other issue you might have is since the shock is now just pushed down when you bottom out the suspension on or off-road instead of hitting the bumpstops you will just bottom out the shock. This can lead to some hefty damage. The next kind of spacer lift available are the preload spacers. These will usually cause the coil springs to be preloaded to give lift. The side effect to this type of lift is the shock valving is not designed for the extra preload of the spring giving the ride a bad bouncy feel that sometimes feels uncontrolled. And in some cases we have seen the spring coilbind causing damage to the shock and the frame. This is because the spring is designed to move about 1/2 its total length so when you pre-load them they are now compressed to much so near bottom out they will bind before you hit the bumpstops.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason'sLawnCare View Post
You'll need either spacers or after market uca's to run them on the stock wheel. I've got that size tire on my "baja" rims and I've got an after market uca.
OP: FYI, the spacers Jason is referring to are wheel spacers.