1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

XM receiver for 2009

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by tdm156, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Oct 24, 2008 at 9:39 AM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
    Black,09,tacoma,doublecab,sport,4X4...SWEET!
    okay,

heres the skinny. The reciever is available however, all tacomas that are pre-wired and have the antenna factory installed are going to need a fit kit. It is an adapter wire of some sort and I have just found out this won't be available until december sometime. Bummer!:(

Guess i'll have to use my old delphi unit with crappy sound:mad:

Sorry for getting you all excited. Maybe for xmas!

2. Oct 24, 2008 at 10:24 AM
    tdm156

tdm156 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC 4x4 SR5**Sold
    OH now that stinks! I am thinking I should buy the delphi for now and use my aux input jack.....bummer is right!

3. Oct 26, 2008 at 8:06 PM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
  4. Nov 12, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    drturn90

drturn90 New Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma prerunner 2x4
    Off road package
    I don't know if you are set on XM as I was able to purchase the Sirius components on Amazon.com. It was about $140 for everything needed including shipping and taxes. The 2 components you need are the sirius connect toy-sc1 and scc1 universal tuner.

5. Nov 12, 2008 at 12:17 PM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info for the sirius. I already have a subscription to XM and bought the reciever unit for my new taco. it has been a real pain to install to say the least as I am still awaiting the arrival of the fit kits:(

Thats pretty reasonable for sirius though. Maybe a guy should reconsider?

6. Nov 12, 2008 at 1:49 PM
    drturn90

drturn90 New Member

Member:
    Tampa FL
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma prerunner 2x4
    Off road package
    I had sirius Toy-sc1 and scc1 installed for $40 at an aftermarket audio store. Problem is they used the antenna that came with receiver versus the preinstalled. I need to know what the procedure is to utilize the preinstalled antenna. Any help

7. Nov 12, 2008 at 2:15 PM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:

Not real versed on the sirius but if it's a similar fitting to XM then the part you need is the adapter antenna cable that goes from a square plug to a round I believe. You might be able to find this at Vais technology and I think the part was called the sharkfin adapter from http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1154. Depending on the location of your reciever I think you'll need the 3' if it's behind the stereo. They run about $40. Ask for Mike, he is well versed in this area.

8. Nov 14, 2008 at 10:23 PM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
    OKAY! FINALLY!!!

Guys, I just finished installing and activating the XM reciever unit into my prewired '09 Taco. I got a call from my dealer today stating that the FIT KIT finally made it in so I went and picked it up. It is Toyota's genuine part and included the antenna adapter (both ends square) power wire and ground cable along with adhesives, cable ties and padding and it worked wonderfully. All the parts I needed were in there and the instructions are attached a few posts up. In about 3 hours I had the whole thing installed and that included taking the child seats out of my pickup taking everything apart, cleaning and putting everything back along with activation. Very simple process and if you are even slightly mechanically inclined you can do this! Here are the part numbers and prices if any of you are interested and they are the genuine Toyota parts!

XM Reciever: 86180-0W031 $199.99
    XM Fit Kit: PT546-35090 $100.00

Thats it! The system sounds great and looks even better! No wires, no ugly delphi unit, just a plain and simple SAT button and it's on my title screen on my stereo. I'm pumped!!!:):):)

9. Nov 15, 2008 at 6:28 AM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    can you post a pic or two? thanks

10. Nov 15, 2008 at 9:09 AM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
    oh crap guys,

sorry, I forgot to take pics. I don't know how to post them anyway. Here are a few tips that should make it easier for you and save a little time.

1. I never had a pry tool to lift up the scuff plates. You can easily pull these up with your hands by applying sufficient pressure staight up. I then used a butter knife to open the wire clip fastening devices below the scuff plates.

2. I removed the bottom bolt for the drivers seat belt but never fully removed the side panel. I simply manipulated the bottom portion away from the side wall so I could fish my wires through that portion. It was quite easy and sliding the bottom portion of the side panel back was simple.

3. The fasteners that hold the accessory tray below the back seats was a bit tricky. first you unscrew them about a 1/2 to full turn with a screw driver then you need a pry device to get them to pop out. I used an electrical pliers (fairly flat and can put pressure equally on both sides of the screw head). Make sure you grab under the screw head and not the flange below it. Then simply pry gently upwards and the screw will pop from the fastener bottom. I think there are 9 total in the double cab.

4. I did not cut a hole in my carpet like the diagram shows. I simply went to the end of the scuff panel at the left rear corner of the acc. box and fed the wires under the carpet there. The acc. box went right back in with a little pressure put on it and securing the fastener afterward.

5. After lots of study of the instructions I figured the reciever box mounted on the passenger side at the front wall under the acc. box. This area seemed to be a perfect fit and is out of the way of any possible physical damage or possible moisture from carpet shampoos or snow.

These seemed to be the only tricky parts and beyond that the instuctions do pretty well at giving you the info you need. Sorry about the pics but I hope this helps! And like I said, It was actually fairly easy once you get past the tricky parts I listed above. Good luck!

Oh, and make sure you check your XM before reassembling your unit. It sure would be a pain to tear it all apart because something didn't work!

11. Nov 26, 2008 at 5:29 PM
    davatk

davatk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northwestern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2009 DC TRD Sport Long Bed
    Tube Steps, Hood Deflector, ScanGauage, GPS
    Would it be possible to post the instructions - maybe scan them to PDF or something ? At least that would let the rest of us know what we might be getting into - or paying someone else to do if it looks to difficult. :D

12. Nov 26, 2008 at 8:45 PM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
  13. Nov 29, 2008 at 9:37 PM
    jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    NJ to Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double Cab Black
    Grillcraft grill Kenwood DNX 7140(gone) De-Badged and De-Stickered Tint 5% Back, Black Bull Bar(gone)
    Who did you order the parts from? Thanks

14. Nov 30, 2008 at 9:29 AM
    pigsticker

pigsticker Member

Member:
    north dakota
    Vehicle:
    I got these directly from my parts dealer at the toyota dealership in town. The place is Minot Chrysler and Toyota center and the name of the parts guy is Randy. The phone number is (701) 852-0151. All you need is the reciever unit and the fit kit. A little more expensive than the delphi unit but well worth it for the better sound and ease of use through the stereo.

15. Nov 30, 2008 at 10:32 AM
    jonathan

jonathan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    NJ to Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Double Cab Black
    Grillcraft grill Kenwood DNX 7140(gone) De-Badged and De-Stickered Tint 5% Back, Black Bull Bar(gone)
    Thanks! I am going to try this install on Monday

16. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:29 PM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    Did anyone get any pics of the XM installed?

17. Jan 19, 2009 at 8:49 PM
    Greenblazer

Greenblazer Thread Killer

Member:
    Phoenix. Aridzona
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner Dblcab SR5 Black
    Home Made Tonneau, The Baba Booey Mod... Sirius Satellite Radio
    Prior to Sirius/XM merging I could not imagine why anyone would want XM over Sirius, but now you can get Howard Stern on XM and Sirius.

Stern Rules Baba Booey!

18. Jan 20, 2009 at 5:27 AM
    jmed99

jmed99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    09 DC PreRunner TRD OR
    O&A rules!

19. Feb 4, 2010 at 8:47 PM
    florze

florze Member

Member:
    canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 sr5 4door
    Factory xm Blu logic
    I recently had the xm receiver installed in my 2010 Taco. I also had the dealer install the Blu Logic hands free. There appears to be no conflicts between these two add ons. This is a Canadian truck. It is a non JBL head unit. I must admit that Ilove listening to satellite radio.

Products Discussed in

To Top