Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Tough decision: 2011 Access Cab 4x4 or X-Runner

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
RMCO is on a distinguished road
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
Tough decision: 2011 Access Cab 4x4 or X-Runner

Went to my local dealership today set on checking out an X-Runner and turns out thier online stock was wrong and they didnt have one on the lot. What they did have was a 4x4 Access Cab 6 speed. After driving that I'm torn on which truck I should pick now. I don't have any real towing needs, don't hit the trails, or really haul all that much. Sunny Florida is a far cry from Michigan where I moved from so I don't know how much use I would make of a 4x4. I haven't driven an X-Runner but the ride in that 4x4 was damn nice.

I'm torn. Been lurking around all the Tacoma forums and figured now was as good as any to ask peoples opinions on the two trucks.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
if i had to guess, i would imagine there are more threads from folks wishing they had 4x4, than guys with 4x4's wishing they didnt.

having said that, it really sounds like you dont need it.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
In your suttiation i would go with the xr.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by aficianado View Post
if i had to guess, i would imagine there are more threads from folks wishing they had 4x4, than guys with 4x4's wishing they didnt.

having said that, it really sounds like you dont need it.
What's the main "I should have got the 4x4" comments floating around? I don't remember reading all that many.

I guess that's my only worry. I don't have a need for a 4x4 now, but that doesn't mean I won't here in the future.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
N O X I O U S
SD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of lightSD2011Taco is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Chris
SD2011Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Florida has a lot of back country and beaches. 4x4 will be really nice for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Well from what I know of FL the only offroading is massive mud pits. That only problem is that you need 32 inches of lift and 40 inch tires to hit up those mud holes. I say X.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #7
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
Wants and Needs

Figure those out and you'll know what to get
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Raylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to beholdRaylo is a splendid one to behold

Navy: USN, nuclear submarines
Raylo's Tacoma Gallery
I grew up in FL and say that unless you plan to get on the beaches (like up in the panhandle where the sand is soft and deep) a 4x4 is a total waste. The 2wd XRunner will be faster, get better mileage, be cheaper to maintain. And the Toyota 2wds don't sit lower like most other small trucks so it looks just as awesome. Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
It would be worth checking out xr-underground.com. It is the TW of the x-runners.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Doomsday will become famous soon enoughDoomsday will become famous soon enough

Doomsday's Tacoma Gallery
I would go 4x4, I personally don't know what the purpose of X-runner is.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #13
RMCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
It would be worth checking out xr-underground.com. It is the TW of the x-runners.
Been there doing a lot of reading too. This seemed the less biased crowd to ask, haha. From the initial posts it looks like the xr may be more my speed. Still open to more opinions though.