1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

UltraGauge, Real Time MPG & Calibration

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Taco161, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Jan 7, 2011 at 6:20 PM
    Taco161

Taco161 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2023 Sport
    Just finished my second tank of gas after installing my Ultra Gauge. I like the toy, it seems to have a lot of potential. One disappointment I have with is I can't get an Oil Temp reading from it but that has to do with gauge availability and not Ulrta Gauge.

The one thing I don't understand is why the Instantaneous MPG reading fluctuates so much even while using the cruise control. Is this normal or a problem with the engine?

Also, I'm hoping that someone here can help me out wih this. I have a 2010 DC Off Road with stock tires ( 265/70R16 ) and the avg. mpg reading doesn't jive with my actual mpg. I was wondering if anyone here with a like truck and tires has calibrated the distance as recommended by the manual and what number they entered into the Ultra Gauge.

I included a picture of where I plan to permanently mount it inside the cubby hole hole in front of the shifter and cup holders.

Thanks for your help .............. Joe

Ultra Gauge.jpg

2. Jan 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I just ordered one of these!! Can't wait to find a nice place to install.

3. Jan 7, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    RZRob

RZRob Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Anaheim Hills
    The avg mpg fluctuates based on engine load to achieve/maintain a speed. Albeit just slightly most of the time, but wildly from stop to getting there, or coasting.

As for the number to enter, everybody's number is different, however the number you enter should be the same as your truck's own trip meter provided you zerod both the UG & your trucks trip meter. For me, I had 285s and the circumference differential was 1.07, so after a ~20 mile drive I multiplied the number on my trip meter by 1.07 and entered this number.

If you're in total doubt, just get a GPS Zero out the UG & the GPS's Trip Meter (and to check, your truck's own too) first. and drive a long distance (like 5-20 miles). The more the miles, the more accurate your calibration will be because the relative amount of error will be lessened with every mile. Then, enter this number in the UG calibration miles.

RZ Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top